Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jomarie58 - I'm glad your first driving excursion went fine! Are you driving today for errands as well? Either way, I hope that hip cooperates and you enjoy the nice weather! :SUNsmile:

My drive to the bank went fine. Tomorrow I try driving myself to PT. the drive home may be a challenge because they tire me out!

Having a little pity party wishing I could ditch the walker and cane, but realistically I can not stress the left leg too much. Chomping at the bit for my second surgery. May 26 is a long way off! Sigh


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
HI @jomarie58!
I'm with you sister, I'm chomping at the bit to get hip #2 over and done with and I sure would love to ditch the walker (but I know it's better to keep it and not get a limp embedded in my memory bank)! May 26th is just around the corner and think how much stronger you'll be by then. Now keep in mind, this is expert advice is coming from someone who can barely wait three weeks (my next OS appointment) to get her surgery date! :heehee:Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!
 
So right now I am obsessing over my incision area. I still have an area the size of my hand that is very swollen and actually feels like the skin is sort of numb. Then all along the 8 inch cut I can feel a very hard area under the glued line, like an internal scar? I am five weeks out and wondering if these things are normal. It is achy but not super painful. I still ice at night. Should I be icing more?

Most of my pain comes from the left hip. I am usually using a walker or cane ( in my right hand when I remember after a year in the left hand!) but even so I find myself with enough groin pain to make me cry by night time. Most of the day it is around a 3 but it builds as I do more. I do only one set of the PT exercises they told me to do three sets of, flex ankles, squeeze knees into bed, squeeze buttocks, heel slide to butt ( only right side) and straight leg raises followed by sliding outward ( also only right). I am taking 2 12 hour acetaminophen in the morning and evening and several nights I have taken 10 mgs OxyCodon to help me sleep. I have about ten doses left and am worried what I will do when I run out. Prior to my right hip my surgeon refused to give me anything but NSAIDS because he said it would interfere with pain control after surgery. And that was when I was walking around with pain level between 8 and 10 all day long. Guess I am getting worried about heading back to teaching on March 1 while at the same time being excited to go back and be busy again.

I am headed to PT today. They had me on the Nustep for 15 min last time but that increased my left hip pain so I am going to ask to cut that back. It is hard to balance right recovery and guarding the left. Ack


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your pain level! Hopefully, one of our moderators will drop by with some advice. Do you feel that maybe you're overdoing the PT? I've read so many posts where the PT was actually causing more problems than good (not in all cases of course).
 
@jomarie58 - hopefully your pain is sorted out soon. I know if I overdo things my hip aches. So be kind to yourself. You'll be heading back to work one week before me. Hope it all goes well. Take care
 
@jomarie58 writes: "So right now I am obsessing over my incision area. I still have an area the size of my hand that is very swollen and actually feels like the skin is sort of numb. Then all along the 8 inch cut I can feel a very hard area under the glued line, like an internal scar? I am five weeks out and wondering if these things are normal."

My Doc says yes, this is normal. At my 6 weeks check up, he said to massage along the incision line to work on the numbness / hard area. The area underneath your scar most likely has some sort of stitches that area still in the 'dissolving' stage -- mine does; I was told they have not dissolved yet.
I'm at 7 weeks, and the scar area still has some swelling, like you said, about the size of my hand. I can feel it; I had hubby put his hand on both butt cheeks - and he noticed too (which is something for him - feeling it through a pair of jeans.)
The incision is still uncomfortable to sleep on, as when I lay on it, it feels like someone put a pencil under the skin and sewed it into place -- like there's a hard lump there. A friend who also had surgery mid December says she feels the same things around her scar area (except its anterior, so she doesn't lay on it to sleep).

If I wear the right (wrong) pair of slacks, I can still feel the incision tenderness on the seam area of my pants. If I wear sweat pants, or something looser, I don't feel anything.

Good luck with going back to work next week! Just take everything slow, and remember you don't have to keep up with anyone but yourself.
 
@CatLady1. THANKS SO MUCH! Your reply made me feel so much calmer....my emotions are still all over the place and I do get a bit freaked! I appreciate the calming influence of knowing there things are normal.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58, it sounds like you are having a rough time, with all of that pain and worry about your incision. Will you be seeing your orthopedist again before you go back to work, so you can ask about the incision and the pain/pain meds? Don't blame you for being nervous about going back to work with that pain and still needing to use a walking aid. Wish you could postpone that for awhile, if that would be best for you. Take good care...
 
@Krista thanks for the kind words. I will see my surgeon in three weeks but I did ask the PT girl to check the incision today and she taped the area. Just one piece of tape but it is sort of supporting the most swollen area which feels a bit better. I am a school teacher at a private school and honestly they want me back yesterday so I am just planning to pace myself with some standing, some walking and some sitting through the school day. I teach mostly juniors and seniors and they are pretty self sufficient once I get them going.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
So now over the past week I am experiencing severe nerve pain shooting down my op leg, from the butt down along the outside of the leg (a bit inside the lateral edge). It has happened when rising to standing, when walking, while in the shower and when I was lying flat on my back in bed. Pretty darn painful when it happens. Can't quite nail down what type of movement is causing it so I can avoid that!

I am at PT today and a bit nervous, will explain the new pain and hope they'll help!

Anyone else had this issue? Is it due to added activities? Been to a wake and funeral this week and have done more


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PT was very cautious due to nerve pain. She worked on relaxing my leg which did not help then had me lie on my tummy and manipulated my SI region, which did help. Pain went away for about 6 hours and returned while I was sitting to eat dinner. Tried to sleep in bed last night but both flat and with the pillow under knees the nerve pain kept firing so I gave up and went to the recliner, there it faded and I managed to sleep.

Hoping it will stay at a low level today. Sigh!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry to hear you're having SI pain. Did PT have any suggestions for stretches you can do alone to help alleviate it? As for the recliner-- I know mine was a great 'friend' for putting me to sleep when the bed was so uncomfortable.
Overall -- how's the hip feeling?
 
Sounds like a really tough situation. We don't expect sudden severe pain like that at this point in recovery. Hope a moderator, your PT or a doctor can help you figure out what's going on and how to treat it!
 
Sounds like all the extra activity may have aggravated your SI joint. I hope you can take things a bit slower and get control of this. You certainly want to avoid getting into a chronic situation.
 
Sounds like all the extra activity may have aggravated your SI joint. I hope you can take things a bit slower and get control of this. You certainly want to avoid getting into a chronic situation.


Nervous laugh! Not sure about slowing down Because I go back to full time teaching high school this week! Since PT the nerve pain has not been as bad or as constant, it comes and goes. Are there exercises or stretches for the SI joint??

My hip is otherwise doing well, the incision area continues to bother me but I ice each night. Now back on diclofenac for the left unop hip pain. Hoping to get away from that after the May hip replacement.

Thanks for checking in on me everyone!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Best wishes going back to the classroom, JoMarie. You'll probably feel worn out the first few days... you just need to figure out how to pace yourself and maybe let a couple of the kids help out with class. For me, just the getting up earlier in the a.m. and having to be dressed and go somewhere was somewhat tiring (no more enjoying the slow morning pace untill noon... :yes!: ).
 
@CatLady1 and @jomarie58 I sympathize with those of you who have a deadline to return to work. You need to have a balancing act going on between getting strong quickly and taking it easy, so not to cause other recovery problems. I'm sure I wouldn't be experiencing such an easy recovery if I had this added pressure.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Are there exercises or stretches for the SI joint??
Ask your PT for some stretches and core stability exercises.
I go back to full time teaching high school this week!
Tough one. Launching back to full time work may be quite a challenge. Energy drain is a major factor. I do hope you can ease into this.
 
To me the balancing act is slowing down at work before I feel too tired. It's so hard to figure out when that feeling is going to kick in Jaycey's right: energy drain is the thing now....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom