Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking in, 9 days since surgery.

I would say that "log leg " has passed but I still really don't have much sideways motion with my right leg. I don't need to use the pull loop tool to get in and out of bed but it is not a simple endeavor yet.

My right leg gets very swollen as the day progresses but swelling decreases at night. Today I made a point to lie in bed on two occasions with my right leg up on two pillows which helped a tiny bit. It just freaks me out to look down and see how puffy my toes, top of foot and ankle are compared to the other foot. I also do the ankle stretched a bunch during the day to try to help move the lymph along.

I have moved the pain pills out to 2 5mg pills at 6 hour intervals. Most of the surgical pain seems to be at the far back end of the incision. It does ache a good bit. Thinking of trying to go to 1 pill during midday tomorrow, keeping 2 for night time sleeping. My left AVN hip is bothering me more, possibly due to increased walking? I mean I still don't do much but it is likely more than I was doing the last 3-4 weeks prior to surgery.

I had hoped to keep calories to about 1200 a day but so far I am eating more like 1500-1600. I am eating three meals a day with no snacks, very nice healthy food but for example ...I want soup and a sandwich and an apple ...trying not to stress over this. Currently a size 22 and will be happier if I can be a size 18 for the next hip surgery. Plus surgeon may impose a weight requirement this time, since the left hip is not as bad as the right was. I go for my follow up on Feb. 3.

Sleep well all!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58
I'll bet the pain in the other hip is due to the added stress it's been taking. I have definitely noticed more pain in the "good" hip since I've bearing more weight on it. My surgeon and I decided to replace the hip that's just a little worse X-ray wise and not pain wise (if this makes sense). Both hips hurt about the same.
 
Hi @jomarie58. Lovely to hear from you and glad your recovery is proceeding well. I really identified with what you wrote about your friends saying how much better you sound now. I dont think anyone has any idea of the constant, mind numbing drag of the bone on bone pain on you both physically and mentally. Just before I had my surgery I had little interest or energy available for anything or anyone other than myself. Sounds selfish but the pain and limitation had really taken over my life together with sheer fear about the surgery itself. Any trip out of the house meant I had to be literally dropped off right outside the venue and the first task was always to find "a chair for mum." Not me at all. Its lovely now to be able to look forward to going shopping with my daughters and to going on holiday with my husband. You have all this to look forward to as well. Fondest thoughts xx
 
I dont think anyone has any idea of the constant, mind numbing drag of the bone on bone pain on you both physically and mentally
YEP, I say I can echo this sentiment. I have become much more protective of myself (and movements) lately, but still trying to keep things feeling normal (like 'lucky' mobile people) in respect towards daily activities & attitude. Pretty soon we will ALL be the happy, peppy and striding people on the street!!
 
:hi: Ditto re outings and parking/logistics of getting there, getting seated etc. I think it is only natural we become so preoccupied with ourselves - and agree that we feel awfully selfish as a result, but having to think about distances and comfort become of prime importance and it's an awkward one. If someone is talking to me, I often pray it won't be a long conversation otherwise I have to hunt for somewhere to perch to take the weight off my horrible hip. Whenever I flag up concern I feel like I'm being difficult (or lazy) - I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone else ..... except maybe for 5 minutes, then hopefully they'd understand! :nah: I honestly don't complain out loud - except on rare occasions when tears have defeated me. I really want to be a new/different person. It WILL come ladies (and gents) and @TerryCloth you must be counting down the hours now. Happy for you xx:)
 
Having a little pity party today. PT was here yesterday and we went through all my little exercises just fine. She tried to work on correcting my gait a little and I mentioned how tight the muscles are across the front of my legs/hips. She had me try a stretch, sit on the edge of had bed and leaving my legs on the floor lie my torso back in the bed. I felt a strong pull across both legs and she had me hold that position. She said to do that 4 or 5 times a day, work my way up to 5 min at a time. I tried it once more just before bed for maybe 30 seconds.

Woke at 2 am with so much pain in my unoperated hip I had to get out of bed and move to the recliner where I used pillows to prop the left leg up at an angle. Today I can barely get around. I am taking the pain meds more frequently again. I guess this is a one step back day.

Should I do the stretch or ditch it!? Agghhh!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Should I do the stretch or ditch it!?
Ditch it! Another overly aggressive PT who seems to think post THR physio is more like training for a marathon! PT should never make you hurt and you can't correct years of limping and bad gait in days. Easy does it. Walking is the best therapy for a new hip.
 
Today is my two week anniversary! Still swollen along incision, icing right now, but my operated led is definitely now my "good leg". My left leg is causing me more pain in the joint, groin area. The PT lady said she would normally have moved me on to standing exercises but she did not want to aggravate my left leg by having me put all my weight on it to swing my right leg.

She gave me an alternate stretch to replace the one that hurt my left side, so instead of sitting on bed and leaning back now I am doing a "wall crawl" so I plant my feet a bit away from the wall and walk my hands up over head and lean in to the wall. This stretch I can control more and work my way up to a full stretch. I know I need it, I just don't stand up straight after all these months of pain and walker use.

I am feeling like I can tackle a few more things now. I made a frittata this morning, the first actual cooking I have done in ages. I do get tired quickly, but I can nap when I get tired so that is fine.

I see the surgeon next week. Hoping to schedule left hip!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Congratulations on your two week anniversary, sounds like all is going well if the operated hip is now the good hip. As always, in awe of you guys who are 'doing the double!'


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Great update @jomarie58 ! And I am so happy to hear you have a PT who works with you. That can make all the difference in the world.
 
PT came today for last home visit. Gave me the OK to sit on the sofa in the TV room now and go up to the second floor one time per day. Yeah! My sewing room is up there and I plan to work on a small project. Small steps forward!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
That is great @jomarie58!
That is exactly the way I found my recovery progressed - slow and steady with a little more ability each day.
 
That's great news @jomarie58! Just make sure that you're not breaking your 90 degree restriction when sitting on the sofa. If you have to, sit on a pillow to raise your hip above your legs. Best wishes to you. :)
 
Saw my surgeon today and will be ok to get out of the house a bit now. Going to see if a friend will take me somewhere, anywhere! Grin. He said we can set up surgery two for May. Can't believe I have to do this again, but AVN won't do anything but get worse so....gotta do it!

Took off my dressing today and he said it is healing fine. No new dressing needed now but he said to leave the remaining glue on my skin and let it slowly wear off. The area around the incision is hard and sore. He asked if PT had done any massage for me...no! Does anyone know what that would entail? I assume I could massage myself, do I rub long ways along the scar or short ways across the area, or both? How hard to push?

Going to ask my last home PT tomorrow to help me figure out the best way to get in and out of the car without breaking my restrictions. Hubby drives me in our truck which has a high seat, but all my friends have regular cars and I have not tried that.

Have a good night all!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Hi @jomarie58
Just wanted to let you know that there is a ton of YouTube videos on how to get in and out of a car after hip replacement. But basically, make sure you have a pillow to sit on, or some kind of cushion, as seats in cars are too low for hippies. Move the seat all the way back, and recline it a couple of degrees. Then back up to the car seat, sit down with your op leg extended out. Scoot back as far as you can and then move your left leg in and then your right leg. May take a couple of practice runs to get it down pat, but it is doable. The good news is, since it's your right leg, riding as a passenger makes it a little easier. Although, I had my left side done, and didn't have a problem. I did purchase one of those swivel cushions, that really helped. :)
 
Thanks @Nana757, you described exactly what she had me do today! Grin! I practiced in and out a couple of times and it went fine.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Great update @jomarie58 . Awesome work. I couldn't even comprehend having the next hip done so soon. kudos to you guys who do. Hopefully I can hold my left hip off for a couple more years yet.
 
A friend brought me to visit a dear friend in hospice yesterday. She is in her early 40's and has lost her 8 year battle with cancer. She cried when she saw me walking in with so little difficulty, she was so happy for me. I am reminded to be thankful for all that I have.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom