Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo Marie it sounds as if you are doing very well.Have you ever seen those hand warmers fisherman and hunters use.Those are awesome for improving circulation to your hands.You might give those a try.They are not expensive.Sounds like you are doing awesome with your cane.It does not matter if you take small steps.The smaller steps were actually recommended by the pt as she said it encouraged better stability which actually makes sense.Good luck with your appt.Don't forget some flowers


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know ,It for me literally counting my blessings.Jim and I have been together for36 years and he is still my best buddy.We of coarse have our differences but that's going to happen over the years.Our difficulties have also helped us to galvanize.We have seen so many relationships end sadly and somehow we always manage to come through to the other side


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back from my three week surgeon visit! My wound dressing was removed and I was told to leave the glue layer alone and not to pick at it! Hubby said wound is uglier than hip one so I did not look at it when I got home, no need to upset myself.

I now have the OK to get out and about with others driving me. Hoping that PT will quickly give me the OK to drive, seeing them on Friday. He said I still have restrictions for another 3 weeks. Ugh...

Next appointment with surgeon is in 6 weeks for a follow up X ray. Hopefully by then I can walk without the cane.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to find someone's thread? The way the forum comes up on my iPad has changed and now I see the person who has most recently replied and the name of the thread but many threads can't really be linked to a name that way. I tried searching at the top of the page (looking for Zelda) and it came back with no hits, so I can't figure out how to find her thread!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Ha ha! Just came looking for you @jomarie58 !
The search facility works for me - or if you see any post by the person you're looking for, you can click on the number of messages in their profile and that gives you a new page of everything they every posted.
How are you? Did you get the go ahead to drive? I'm really looking forward to that. I live in a lovely place but limited walking and no driving leaves you bit isolated.
 
Latest update...I have now driven the truck twice! First time I went to Aldi, shopped for 30 minutes, came home, ate lunch and then conked out for 2 full hours! Today I drove myself to PT. it just does wonders for your mood when you can get out again without asking someone for a ride!

Can't remember if I have mentioned that for the past two weeks my middle finger and ring finger on my right hand (cane hand) have been numb round the clock. When I got to PT last Friday I mentioned that I thought my carpel tunnel was acting up and was told this is Not carpel tunnel but probably a pinched nerve in my neck. Really??? So today she put me in a neck traction contraption for 20 minutes. Not really any better, planning on heading to my chiropractor for the first time in months! I will be hoping for no more on my plate right now!

Still walking with cane or walker, but today I had a friend pick me up and we went to a local quilting shop. I was able to browse and stand for almost an hour using the cane....longest all together so far.

Hoping for a good day tomorrow!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
So happy you're able to get out in the world again! Yesterday I went with my daughter to Lowes and I couldn't believe how excited I was going to a giant home improvement store! Getting out is key to lifting ones mood. :-)
 
@jomarie58, I am sure the numbness in your fingers in your cane hand are related to the cane use. I'm guessing that when you are done with the walking aids, your numbness will eventually go away. I have some numbness and disability in my crutch hand, which I have had to use for almost a year. When I use the rollator walker, I use both hands, so I'm sure it's not as bad as if I used a crutch all the time.

Glad you are enjoying being out and about!
 
Thanks Cynthia and Krista for stopping by! I am sure the numbness is related to the cane, went to my chiropractor today amp d he feels it is my shoulder area. He about made me pass our when he pushed on my clavicle near the shoulder girdle. It was SO painful there. Hoping his manipulation will help!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Still working with the chiropractor to get rid of numbness in hand. But my other excitement was having my regular doctor last week send me for a CT scan to check for PE.... Nothing found thank heavens! Had to go and have post CT blood work today, can't take metformin due to the dye used until 48 hours after CT and only after kidney function is tested. I am spending way too much time at doctor offices!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Just checking in. I am doing PT two days a week. Trying to strengthen my glutes so that my gait improves. I still rock sideways when I walk without a cane. The numbness in my right hand is improving but not gone. I am also more aware that it is So nice to have lost that leg length discrepancy with the second surgery.

The latest good news, I bought a new Fitbit. My old one died about a year ago but I did not replace it because at that point I was barely doing 1000 strips a day due to pain. This past week I have had days varying from 2000 to 6000 steps and I am so happy to see those numbers going up. I definitely have a long way to go to build up my stamina, I am still surprised by how easily I tire out. One other interesting point, the Fitbit gives info on your sleep pattern. If I look back at last year 2015, most nights it showed I woke up 7-9 times with 10 to 18 periods of restlessness. I was chronically exhausted. I now assume it was the pain I felt whenever I shifted in Any way, back then I was blaming my diabetes. Now, two new hips later, I typically wake 1 or 2 times a night and the past week shows at most 8 restless periods. Quite an improvement!

I was at the beach for two days last week and was able to walk in the sand, used the cane but my fears that I would move weirdly and hurt myself were unfounded! I did not get into the ocean but I hope I will be brave enough to do that next year.

Another sign of improvement....I have parked in the regular parking spaces! I still have the handicap tag though for those days when the pain or tiredness kick in.

I hope all of you are moving along in your recovery. Tonight I am headed to see Bridges of Madison County...love a good musical ! Take care.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
That all sounds so good, JoMarie! Walking on the beach, parking in regular spots and being much more active. Amazing about how your sleep has improved. That makes so much sense! I know that after my THR I never did sleep well, since my hip never healed right. I've had pain ever since the surgery, and I think it has interfered mightily with my sleep. My exhaustion prompted me to get a sleep study and prescription for CPAP therapy. Have been having trouble with that, so am waiting until well after my upcoming surgery to start again. I might not even need it if my pain is significantly lessened and sleep improves, like yours did!
 
Saw my surgeon yesterday for X-rays . He said everything looks good. I was happy to hear that gait improvements can be seen for the first two years after surgery, so I don't feel quite so upset about my "wobble".

At PT today I rode on a recumbent bike for the first time...no problem! Stamina needs work but that is it. She had me do some backward walking, felt the burn in my glutes! Grin.

Still can't rotate my legs in and up in order to get socks and shoes on.... Luckily I can wear sandals that slip on for a while yet.

Plugging along! Teacher meetings start next week, ugh! Take care all.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Good to hear from you and reassuring to hear I'm not the only one still struggling with wobbly gait! It must make a huge difference to your mood getting a good night's sleep.

Good luck with back to school!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom