Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew. First week back at work went well, but I definitely had to pace myself. And boy was I tired when I got home! Next week I just have two full days and two half days.

The left un op hip causing pain so I am taking diclofenac in am and pm with a double Tylenol at lunch! Trying to remember not to overdo it!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58
I guess it's one day at a time, right? Hopefully the days will get easier as time passes! Does that med combo work well for your bad hip? I'm still on Percocet (twice a day), but not for my op hip, but for the pain in my bad hip. I'd like to stop taking it, as my op-hip doesn't need it any longer. I'm going to discus it with my OS on the 14th, but would like some feedback on other pain med cocktails.
 
I take the diclofenac morning and night and the 1000 mg Tylenol midday it seems to keep the pain manageable.
I used this combo after both THRs - was actually discharged with only these meds. Unfortunately we can't get diclofenac here anymore. :bawl:
 
No, it's a NSAID (anti-inflammatory). But some people can tolerate NSAIDs and if you are taking them long term you need to be monitored regularly. Having said that, I have been taking NSAIDs since 2006 due to lumbar spine issues.
 
Yes, I'm able to tolerate them. My stomach must be made out of steel as nothing affects it, but my skin is as sensitive as a baby's butt (I'm dermatologically allergic to just about everything)!
Thanks!
 
I have taken the diclofenac for years but they monitor my kidney function. I am hoping that once hip two is healed up I will get off of it!

They are stopping my land PT because with the left hip being so bad I can't do the bike or the band exercises or the walking very well, so I am headed to aqua therapy again. Same girl I saw last year. Put on my suit, the scar does show but then so do my flabby thighs in general, sigh.
Hoping my first pool session with the new right hip goes well. Maybe I won't notice the leg differences as much in the water!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58 - Congrats to you on returning to work! That is a big deal. I hope the water therapy is soothing for you. I have put the diclofenac on my list of possible non opiate meds for me post surgery next week. I seem to do okay with NSAIDS.

Wishing you a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
 
GP won't prescribe diclofenac due to long term use issues. Sad as it really works for me!
 
Hello! Happy to report my first pool therapy went well. I am able to do more in the pool because I can actually stand on my unoperated leg and move my right leg alone. Wow were my muscles tight! I will be going to see my PT gal once a week and going back on my own two times to practice. I felt much more limber when I got out of the pool. Waking up today I can really feel my glutes! Not in a bad way, just tired muscles. Yeah for progress!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Most recent blood work was abnormally high for BUN and BUN/Creatinine ratio....sure hope that is not from my diclofenac ..... Won't see that doctor for several more weeks! Do see my surgeon for my 8 week check up next week so guess I will ask him! Being sent a link to the results isn't very helpful without interpretation!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
It's great that the pool therapy went so well! Regarding the blood work results, I never get them until I've talked with or seen the doctor first. It must be hard to see them and then have time to wonder about abnormal results. Good luck getting a response from the surgeon or the other doctor soon.
 
I am now noticing a trend...if I go grocery shopping or stand at the counter for any length of time my lower back begins to tighten up and then spasm. Ugh! I needed to finish cooking something and it was rough! Sat down and iced my back after cooking today, probably should have done that the past two times too.

I assume this is because my glutes, back and core muscles are weaker than weak. Looked on line at some back stretches but not sure I should be twisting hips over to one side then the other?? I can try some bridges maybe to strengthen abs. Anyone have any other ideas?


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Muscle spasms in the lower back are no joke! I had them after I twisted my back while backpacking at 11,000 ft in mountains. What I did to heal was to use ibuprofen and take it very easy for 6 weeks. The spasms stopped after about 3 weeks, pain all gone by 6. I used trekking poles when upright during most of the day, every day, during that time. I didn't have any PT or do any special exercises. Gosh, I hope yours heals lots quicker than mine. You may, indeed, have other weak muscles that need building up. Hope you can get some good advice about that.
 
Well getting back to work has kicked my butt! I come home at night and simply crash. Had my 8 week check up last Wednesday, they did x-rays and I guess I am doing fine because my surgeon did not come to see me, they just sent in a resident! So weird to see a picture of your metal hip!

My back is doing ok. I have cut back on how long I stand without taking a break. I am trying to pay attention and notice when the tightening starts! I am doing a little walking without a cane in my house and classroom but it takes huge concentration to not limp and sway side to side. I see others are walking a mile everyday and wish I was there! Maybe after hip two, sigh?..

My ROM is not great but the right is certainly better than pre surgery. I can not rotate my knee out and all the way down to the bed but can get about halfway. Really wish I did not still need to have my leg straight out on the bed and try to lean forward to get socks on....hoping some of the pool exercises will help me with turning my right foot in toward my left leg. After the next hip is done I will be doing the same for the other direction!

Still have a thick rope of tissue under my scar. It hurts to touch or bump. Trying to make myself massage it, they tell me I need to in order to break up the scar, but it is hard to hurt yourself!

Still I must be thankful that I only get twinges of the evil bone on bone pain from my left hip, nothing like the total disaster of December and January! Praise God!




RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom