Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed for pre op day number two tomorrow. Hoping it is much faster than the first time. I don't have to attend "joint class" again, think it is just swab for bacteria, review meds, meet anesthesia and such. Sciatic pain still around but the lumbar stretches seem to be helping some. Still congested but possibly just due to allergies. Hoping that won't impact surgery in any way. Just not looking forward to the days of sleeping at a drop of a hat!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58, woo-hoo, in a couple of weeks! Congrats on getting the go-ahead for #2! May I ask, are you truly not looking forward to sleeping a lot after the surgery? I would pay fortunes for the opportunity to do that. I slept so little for so long post-op, and all I wanted was to be unconscious as much as possible. We get what we get in recovery, so different from person to person.
 
@Krista I found that feeling of not being in charge of my body very depressing. I just could not do anything I would normally do in my life and was even too tired to read for weeks. My hubby is not the type to take care of me or my things so I struggled a bit.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I get your point of view, @jomarie58, and I can see where always falling asleep could be a negative. You may find it to be different this time around, though, as each surgery seems to be different. Wishing for the best for you, at any rate.

There are all kinds of pain associated with this major surgery. Mine was all physical pain and discomfort. I had my sister and husband gladly helping me with everything, and I had no depression. Perhaps my being 11 years older than you helped me with having low expectations about what I would be able to do. I had just assumed that I wouldn't be doing much of anything for a long time, which turned out to be true!
 
One week from tomorrow! Gosh I am getting excited and nervous all at once!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
@jomarie58
I experienced the same emotions and although my anxiety level was much lower than it was with my first THR, it was still there. You're going to be beyond relieved knowing both surgeries are behind you. :-)
 
@jomarie58 - I'm excited for you! Soon you will really be on your way with 2 fabulous new hips. What a relief it is to get it over with. It is tough going back into recovery mode I know... Hopefully it will feel a bit easier now that you "know the drill". Let the countdown begin! :yes!:
 
Having trouble sleeping. Just two nights till surgery two! Gotta say this time getting ready has been easier in many ways. First of all I am not in excruciating pain, yes it hurts, but I can bear it. So standing long enough to shower and do my four days of hibiclens has not been a big deal. Last time I was sobbing trying to stand in our tiny shower long enough.

I have been doing my own meal prep, made some chili and some soup for after surgery. For the three weeks prior to my last surgery I was just eating progresso soup. It was all I could do to open the can and nuke it when I crawled home from a day at school and made dinner for husband. (No, my hubby would not cook for me ! I was still cooking simple meat and side meals for him and then eating my soup! I tend to eat more "whole food" heavy on veggies and beans and he won't eat what I eat. ). Oddly enough after my surgery he decided to cook all his own meals (mostly TV dinners) and has not let me cook for him since, well, that makes my life easier but I worry about the garbage he is putting into his body! But he prefers that salty stuff to freshly cooked meals I guess. Anyway last time I asked friends to cook for me and they really came through for me. I told the few who asked this time that I would be Ok with what I had at first.

Tomorrow I will reorganize the bedroom to allow the walker to get around and pack up my suitcase. Already went to confession and had the anointing of the sick. Am thinking of splurging and having an ice cream tomorrow! Will try to sleep...already two hours past my usual bedtime. Sigh.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Stopping in to wish you the best for your surgery tomorrow. Since you haven't been able to sleep, maybe you'll be so tired you'll be able to sleep more post-op. Sending you prayers @jomarie58!

Oh, when you mentioned hubby wouldn't cook for you, it made me think of this....:heehee:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Jomarie58 recovery Begins!
    image.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 208
@jomarie58 - thinking about you as you prepare for tomorrow. The cartoon @Cynthia777 posted is a hoot....and I can so relate! My DH will expect a meal prepared for him the day after surgery as well! (Guess he's in for a big surprise.....but am sure the carry-out places will be seeing him for awhile!)
 
Best wishes for a really comfortable day and a great outcome. We're all here supporting you and look forward to hearing how it all went. The future is positive - kick that horrid pain away and look ahead!
 
Stopping in to wish you the best for your surgery tomorrow. Since you haven't been able to sleep, maybe you'll be so tired you'll be able to sleep more post-op. Sending you prayers @jomarie58!

Oh, when you mentioned hubby wouldn't cook for you, it made me think of this....:heehee:
Love that cartoon! Thanks for a giggle today!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
It certainly is true that every surgery is different! Today I arrived at the hospital at 5:45. By 6:15 they had me pre op, getting tested (BP, heart rate, sugar etc) but when the nurse tried to set up the IV she had trouble so ended up needing to do a second stick. After 45 min I was gowned and checked in and my husband came to sit with me. One of the other anesthesiologists came over to introduce himself, I taught his son Environmental Science this semester, in January my anesthesiologist was the father of another one of my students in a AP bio!

They gave me the happy juice but this time I do remember the roll down the hall to the surgery room, I did not feel the spinal but could tell something was wrong because when they tried to roll me over a bit it hurt like crazy! They seemed surprised when I gasped, asking me if I could feel it as they touched my legs in different places which I could. I heard someone say, check her again in ten minutes...I could still feel my legs and when they tried to roll me I gasped again. Then they decided to put me under general anesthesia. After that the next thing I remember is being rolled back and forth with a sheet under my hips so the could get an X-ray. And then I was out again.

I then awoke in recovery and my goodness did I feel woozy, like the room was spinning. I was there for about an hour and then was brought to my room around 11am. I felt nauseous a few times to combat that they raised my head and put a cold cloth around my neck (why? ) Never needed the little bowl thank goodness. They brought me a tuna salad sandwich and vegetable soup for lunch. Hubby returned from letting the dogs out at home and I said to him I have more pain than last time so he said to call a nurse.someone came immediately and since I rated my pain 4-5, she went and got me oxy. That was my first oral pain med around 1pm. Within an hour PT arrived and I got up to walk down the hall.

Walking with the walker went well. I was able to "roll on my feet " and take equal strides, the pain in my muscle was evident but not unbearable. The IV alarm began beeping so we headed back to room and while I did a few simple exercises with her direction an RN came by and started messing with my line. He finally used a syringe of saline to clear it ( a clot?) and it started right up again.

Hubby stayed and tried to talk to me after the walk but I was falling asleep every five minutes and then groggily waking up, so he headed home again around 2:30 and I slept in the chair for an hour. I asked for help to get back in bed, takes two people, one for IV and catheter line and the other to help lift up my op leg and get myself situated. Sigh.

Starting to poop out again, amazing that this little bit of concentrating wore me out, but there it is! Grin. Glad to have completed my second lap!




RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom