Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jomarie58
Drats, I've not been getting any updates that you've posted! This has been happening with a few other members I'm following and I just figured out I need to unfollow and then follow again in order to be alerted to the posts.

I can't believe you're back to work so soon! It must be difficult and I feel for you my friend. I've got the same walking issues you have as far as having to REALLY concentrate on not limping. I also feel it in my back when I don't use my walker, so I only walk without it occaisionally inside the house. I've read to keep using it or a cane to prevent the brain from having to unlearn the limp once both hips are done.

Here I thought you had forgotten your BS family! ;-)
 
@jomarie58 - Just caught up with your thread. One of my concerns will be my back, too. I have back issues but as long as I keep in shape and take care of those back muscles, I'm OK. I am so out of shape, the worst I've been, that I know I am facing quite a bit of problems with walking and my gait due to my back. I will take your advice and make sure I don't over due it and stop when the aches begin. I, too, suffered with back spasms in the past and know how painful they can be.:bricks:

I think you will see a huge improvement with your ROM when you're other hip is done! You are fortunate to have access to pool therapy, so much easier on the joints and such a soothing, painless way to recover!:yes:
 
@cynthia77 Oh no! I won't forget my bone smart crew! I am so glad I found this forum! It would be awful to go through all this alone!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Went to see the dermatologist today for my usual 6 month check up, while there asked him to check out my scar. He pointed out to me that the bumpiness I feel is in a regular pattern and said it could be that the internal sutures have not yet dissolved and that I may have inflammation around them. He said to just stop massaging for now. I know my bonesmart friends said to do that weeks ago, but then the PT asked if I was massaging two weeks ago, so I started again! Sigh. The contradictions make me nuts!

On the plus side I stood up the entire time I was putting my laundry away today. I had been needing to sit and put them on the hangars before standing to hang them. Yeah!

You will know that I am feeling better when I tell you my plans for later in the week. I have the week off and plan to go to a botanical garden! The azaleas should be gorgeous. Not sure how long I can walk without resting, but I am sure there will be some benches so I am going to give it a try!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I hope you have a great painfree time at the botanical gardens! Good to know about the bumpiness probably being due to the sutures not yet being dissolved. Since I had a reaction to the glue with my last THR and having a metal allergy, I would imagine they will be using the sutures next time. Great update!
 
I just found your recovery thread. It eases my mind a bit reading about your recovery. What did you find out about your BUN and creatinine levels being elevated? I look forward to reading more about how you are doing.
 
Hi JoMarie -- it's good to hear you're dong so well with a 2nd hip on the horizon and back to work in a "half done" condition. Correcting the 'waddle walk' will just take time. I'm convinced that when the pain goes away, and more flexibility returns, the walking starts improving. I was still dragging my cane with me past six weeks - due to that tight hamstring. The HS still tight, but it doesn't hurt now when I walk (and I noticed that when the pain stopped, the limp disappeared, too.) I'm still pushing my walking exercises, but have noticed it's harder to tolerate walking around on concrete floors while shopping (it's much easier on my body to just walk down a sidewalk with a regular pace, not the slow-moving shopping pace). I don't know if it's a mindset, or having a goal to get somewhere instead of wandering around? Anyway, the walking with a purpose makes me less tired.

You're fortunate to have pool therapy. From what I've read here, it really helps with ROM too.
 
Never made it to the garden but did work in my own yard. Took a stool out with me and used it to help me get up off the ground so I could plant a flat of salvia! My operated leg hip has been fine but the other side....ouch! Still sore two days later.

Right now my operated leg has been causing me trouble due to quad pain and cramping, guessing that is from the kneeling. I am not really sure what to do about that muscle pain smack dab in the center of my thigh.

It is gorgeous out and I really have a ton of weeding that needs doing....wish I could take care of it all, mane next year!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Have you had that muscle pain all along? I'm curious, as I'm not sure what I'll experience once I can walk without the walker. So far I've had no aches or pains on my op side, but I haven't walked or exercised it much.
 
@Cynthia777 I have not had muscle pain all along, this is new and a royal aggravation. It is interfering with my sleep because when I shift I get shooting pains in my right thigh. I think I did something when I was getting up and down from kneeling. Because my left hip is so bad I really have been relying on my new hip leg and I suspect it was too weak! I have a great black and blue bruise so I may have torn something? Never dull!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58, I sure hope this injury isn't too serious. Shooting pains, a big bruise - I'm so sorry that seems to be the result from you trying to do something fun for yourself 2 ½ months post-op! It is so hard to hold ourselves back, especially when the weather gets nicer. When I finally get my poor hip/thigh fixed, I will be ridiculously careful for an entire year, I swear. Take good care of yourself and your thigh!
 
Oh dear @jomarie58! I sure hope you didn't pull any muscles, as they can take quite some time to repair themselves. Hopefully this will pass quickly! I'm going to have to really be aware of how our THR's take about a year to fully heal. I can see how easy one can overdo it during the 12 month recovery phase. Sending you prayers!
 
Gosh April has been flying by. I am crazy busy at school and looking forward to getting past the AP tests in two weeks.

Still having serious problems with my right thigh getting cramping pains, especially bad when getting up out of bed or up from chairs later in the day. Having sciatic pain on both sides going down to my knees, it is bearable but is causing me to walk weirdly ( more weirdly?) and I am limping. I had gotten off the cane before this thigh and sciatic pain, now back on. Grrr. Guess I need to call PT and see if I can get back in there. It all hurts worse when I try to stand up straight instead of leaning forward some.

I have a Very congested chest and have to clear my throat and cough all the time. Not sure if it is allergies or worse. This time last year I was claiming allergies and then ended up being diagnosed with pneumonia . So worried I may be sick as I get closer to my May 26 second hip date and have to delay. At this point my surgeon would not be able to reschedule me tillJuly or August. Hoping I do not have to worry about this! Asked to see an ENT but have not heard back from scheduling nurse, guess I need to follow up on that.

We have had a late outbreak of flu at school, they were dropping like flies at school, sure hoping I do not catch that! Knock on wood!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Went to MD360 and was there 2 1/2 hours. Doctor said I probably have allergies but with surgery coming she gave me amoxicillin too! Not sure how I feel about that.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Headed back to see PT for sciatic pain on Thursday. Glad to report that the muscle cramping in my right thigh has faded away with the black and blue bruise hat was there. My next pre op is May 13. Must admit it is harder to do this time because my left hip pain is at a much lower level. It only hurts really bad now and then when I try to move it too far or too fast. I am not as scared but still there is trepidation about being operated on. Just need to keep it all together for a few more weeks!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58 i think the amoxicillin was probably a good way to go. With so many virus going around you have to be careful. I, on the other hand lol, had a virus before my surgery, and was too scared to say anything in case they cancelled ! :thud: I think think I tried every OTS and home remedy imaginable! And it turned out to be a pretty hard one to shake too. Luckily I made it, but cancellation is the big dread we all have. Glad to hear your cramping pain has settled, is your static pain as bad now?
 
@jomarie58, so sorry about that sciatic pain. It is awful, I know, since I had it when pregnant. And you have pre-op on May 13, that's exciting!. So when is your surgery scheduled for? Surgery is always a cause for worry, and I am sure you will be very glad to have it over with and be able to move on with recovery...and with life!
 
@jomarie58
I'm sorry I've missed what you've been going through. How are you feeling now? When working around all those children, you end up being exposed to all sorts of germs. Have you ever considered taking an immune booster (if approved by your OS) such as echinacea?

I'm keeping you in my prayers and my thoughts. :prayer:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom