Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @jomarie58 , popped in to send you positive wishes, I hope you can get some medical advice soon so you can relax about it.
 
@jomarie58 - checking in on you. How are things going? In this process there seems to be a few catch-22 scenarios built in. I can relate to many things you are experiencing.

We should really create a flowchart diagram showing how all of these systems and side effects are integrated, if one doesn't already exist.

We take pain medicine because our bodies have been through a lot and they need to repair and heal. Pain medicine makes mobility possible, and mobility is needed for recovery.

Sometimes the pain medicine can make us nauseated, especially if taken on an empty stomach. But if you are nauseous, who wants to eat?

Nausea also comes about from our bowels being sleepy and not fully on a good poop track/schedule. Nutrition is important to help promote bowel movements, but who wants to eat and keep filling the intestines if you aren't eliminating what is already in there very well? The pain medicine and reduced activity contribute to the sluggish colon.

Reduced activity and pain medicine also tend to make blood pressure lower, which isn't great if yours tends to be on the lower end anyway, like mine.

I work on moving about some, but as you said, one must be careful as pain medication, low blood pressure, etc also makes you dizzy.

So then I get anxious about being dizzy. Like you, I sure don't want to fall. It's bad enough feeling weakened and having all kinds of odd nerve and muscle sensations. The anxiety, if not kept in check with a variety of tools, can lead to irregular heart rhythm/rapid beats/ panic attack type stuff. That feeling alone then tends to cause more anxiety.

Drinking more water helps with constipation and is good in general overall, but it does require more bathroom trips. I've had a few close calls where I almost didn't make it. By the time you get there, and manage to get clothing undone and out of the way, then gently lower yourself to seat, it's really urgent!

More trips to the bathroom mean managing the pain to make movement possible and comfortable, and so the loop continues.

It's enough to make one feel nuts! It becomes a process of making all these adjustments to find what works for you. It's like we are sitting at a switchboard for our bodies, turning knobs up and down. Working the control panel to find what is optimum.

The mind and body have to find a way to work together. They both strongly influence each other.

I hope you can get evaluated soon and have some peace of mind. I'm working on figuring out each day what's the best thing to do for that day. Doc has me on a muscle relaxer in addition to the pain medicine Nucynta. By the muscle relaxer is strictly for bed time use only when I am going to be still and off feet.

All of this body business is connected. Fortunately, we BoneSmarties are connected too! I hope this post has helped you some. I realize it hasn't fixed anything, but I know for myself I find tremendous comfort and have lessened anxiety when I read someone else sharing that they too are experiencing similar challenges.

Best wishes to you and keep us posted.
:wave:
 
@Sommers16 you hit the nail on the head! All those scenarios happen with daily frequency!

I have not had a scary loss of breath or that cold clammy sensation since stopping the oxy so hoping that solves the mystery of my cardiac symptoms. PT should be here in an hour or so. Will see how that goes!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
It's enough to make one feel nuts! It becomes a process of making all these adjustments to find what works for you. It's like we are sitting at a switchboard for our bodies, turning knobs up and down. Working the control panel to find what is optimum.
I find I'm obsessed with every detail about my body and trying to link cause and effect over the smallest change to how I'm feeling. I thought I'd be a bit more relaxed this time but there's just as much navel-gazing as last time!
 
I have not had a scary loss of breath or that cold clammy sensation since stopping the oxy so hoping that solves the mystery of my cardiac symptoms. PT should be here in an hour or so. Will see how that goes!
Hey, that's good news!
 
Have a visit with regular doc practice due to the shortness of breath issues. Looking forward to figuring that all out. Stood in the kitchen yesterday to prep a bunch of strawberries and have low back pain today ,sigh. But those berries are damn good! Grin


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Saw my doc and they just set up cardiology visit for me in July. Hoping this will all be no big deal. In the meantime I am now sitting out in the gazebo several times each day. I walk out there with just a cane but in the house I am still using the walker. The muscle and incision continue to be very sore. Not sleeping as much now...hit two weeks tomorrow!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Glad you have that cardio visit coming up. Good luck with that! How fun that you are getting outside and sitting in a gazebo! I have a lovely vision of you there. Terrific that you only need one cane to get there. I remember that around week 3 my pain started to lessen a bit. So maybe soon you'll feel better. Those first two weeks are the pits.
 
Hi Jo Marie I agree with Krista.I really think chicken noodle soup,crackers and jello are better for post op nausea than a tuna sandwhich.I almost can't think of anything worse for a nauseated patient immediately post op.I had my 1st hip done May 18th,and a LTKR done last May 18th.I will have the 2nd hip done around the end of August.Glad to see you doing so well


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi JoMarie.Sometimes when you have things like a cardiac arrhythmia if you have other things going on it will just aggravate it.Things like constipation can be bad if you have an irregular heartbeat .Do they have you on a stool softener ?Im glad to see you are doing better.The gazebo sounds beautiful


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Healer01, I am hoping that all the other "issues" simply magnified my already known arrhythmia. I did not know constipation could also play a role....and heaven knows at that point I was very constipated. Most symptoms have settled down now. Bowels too, thank goodness!

I can't really take any unaided steps with my op leg, I have tried a few but it hurts too much and just causes me to walk with very poor form so I am trying to avoid that. I can do some sideways steps when working at the counter in the kitchen so that is helpful.

Tonight for dinner I am using up some soup I was given by a friend during my first surgery in January! Glad I still have a few left. I have been somewhat amused that I have had little to no attention from friends and family for this second surgery. Three close friends offered a meal but my DAd, brothers and sisters (all out of town) who ordered meals for me last time, sent flowers and cards.....this time Zip! I guess it is, ho hum, second surgery! I AM in a much better place and don't NEED anything, but who doesn't want a little pampering? Grin


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Hi Jo Marie I agree with Krista.I really think chicken noodle soup,crackers and jello are better for post op nausea than a tuna sandwhich.I almost can't think of anything worse for a nauseated patient immediately post op. I remember when I had my first hip done, the smell of quiche that I got for lunch launched me into a full meltdown, I bawled for at least half an hour!! God knows what tuna would have done!!! Second hips are like second babies, nobody remembers!! By the way, your tip about the ortho heel was fantastic, a huge improvement. And it is true, everyhip is very different, maybe because we don't tend to leave it as long so the difference is not so apparent. I was in such agony with the first that I was on a complete high. It will get a lot better.
 
Good morning! I am looking forward to my 3 week follow up visit with the surgeon on Wednesday.

Taking stock of my current situation ....still using the walker indoors but can manage short distances outside with the cane. Don't seem to be taking very long strides when using the cane but I am able to get a more normal swing using the walker. I am seeing less swelling of the left ankle now, it only gets bad when I sit with me leg down for more than an hour so I try to limit my gazebo time and come inside to elevate. My left knee which was sore ended up showing black and blue bruises on the back surface about one week after surgery and as the bruises have faded the knee pain has gone. The incision continues to be sore with an area about the size of my hand that is swollen and more sensitive, this is the area I ice the most. This past week I have had some additional swelling along the front of my left leg running across where my leg connects to the torso. I have been including that area in my icing regime. Most of the pain when I put full weight on the leg seems to come from that front area. My right hand carpel tunnel issues have worsened. Previously I would have numbness and be able to shake it off by changing positions. Now my right hand middle finger and ring finger have been numb continuously for 4 days. I am doing hand stretches and wearing my wrist guard at night to no avail. I am starting to have lower back pain again which I notice the most in the morning, it lessens as I move around a bit. Body seems to have returned to a normal pattern for bowel movements and I have not had any more scary cold, clammy, breathless events.

I am feeling more alert. I have been able to read several books and just yesterday I started to hand sew the binding on a quilt, can't go too long due to numbness but figure I will do a little a day.. Still taking at least one longer nap each day and often several short 10-20 minute naps. Sleeping pretty well at night, waking generally twice for potty breaks. Sometimes I find myself 8-10 hours between pain meds. I am debating taking myself out for a drive today....will see how I am feeling. Have a good Sunday!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Sounds like you are progressing very well! Too bad about that numbness, though. Do you think it is due to the walker and cane usage? I use a crutch with my left arm whenever I am out, and after using walking aids for over a year now, my left arm and hand are often numb or tingling or in some pain. Hope yours goes away after you can ditch the aids in the future.
 
:heehee:
I've been finding the very same thing! I'm thinking of ordering myself some flowers!

Zelda that's so funny I want flowers to.My mother in law had got me some but alas they are gone.I facilitate a workshop and those lovely woman got me a lovely purple orchid so I put it in the living room where it would get filtered light and I could see it all the time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We all need flowers! Grin. I am sure that walking with the cane and walker are impacting my carpel tunnel....but maybe also holding my iPad??


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom