Guest viewing is limited

THR Jomarie58 recovery Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much Cynthia77. I appreciated the article. Sure enough my struggles with constipation finally (and after much howling and begging from me) came to the desired conclusion and after a four hour nap the nausea was gone. Maybe the two were directly linked. Feeling more like a human being this morning!

I remember seeing that others had sore knees on other threads and have now experienced that myself. My left op knee feels out of sorts. I have been including it in my icing regime. When PT was here yesterday she said I was not moving the left leg straight back and forth but in a small semi circle, so I have been trying to do that and I am noticing the knee more.

Going to pick up a trashy novel and read for a while!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
I was not moving the left leg straight back and forth but in a small semi circle, so I have been trying to do that and I am noticing the knee more.
I had this same issue. Very hard to correct as you get into a habit. Let us know what PT suggests.
 
I think the hardest thing with any surgery is the unknown.... everything. What you'll feel like recovering, what recovery means (whether you can / can't move well). Once you get through it all, and realize that "this too shall pass", it's not nearly as scary. I think that's why I put off seeking medical advice for so long. I remember my nurse neighbor saying recovery would take 6 weeks, and me thinking I'd be an invalid that long.
 
Good morning!

Was reading another thread and she said the sudden fatigue followed by 2-3 hour naps was not bothering her as much the second time and I must say I feel the same way. Before it made me feel completely out of control and added to my depression, but this time I just go with it and take a darn nap! Catlady it is so true about the known vs unknown!

I am taking OxyCodon at 5 to 15 mgs every three hours. Most of the time I take two pills (10mgs) and that keeps my pain level to a 3. I find it irritating that they only gave me enough pills for three days at the maximum dose. I will get about 7 days out of the pills but now have to call, have my hubby drive 20 minutes to pick up prescription and will likely need to repeat next week. I use Tylenol now and then as well if the achy feeling gets too much between doses.

I am 6 days out from surgery two and still have the entire incision area hard and swollen and now the area around the knee is quite swollen. Icing away, elevating as best I can in my recliner....my legs stick off the end of the recliner from about mid calf so I can't get pillows into the best position.

Overall feeling much calmer and relaxed about the whole process. Yeah!



RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
>>my legs stick off the end of the recliner from about mid calf so I can't get pillows into the best position. <<

I was like that too. We ended up stacking bed pillows up on the foot rest, then using a belt to tie them down / hold them in place. My foot would still dangle over the end, and when ever I got up, the pillows would shift off the end, but it was better than nothing. I finally resorted to using a full body pillow to support the whole leg.
 
Well forgot my pain med dose at supper time. Paying for it now! Ouch hope it quiets back down.

Having some odd symptoms the past two days. Home health care was concerned enough to make a call to my regular doctor to try to get me an appointment. I have had a heart arrhythmia for many years (diagnosed at 30). When they did my pre op I was having irregular beats every other beat. Since my leg started swelling up I am also having what the girl today called cardiac symptoms. Sometimes light exertion causes me to get out of breath and cold and clammy. I will feel lightheaded and have the sensation that my heart is beating in my throat. This isn't lasting long but is disconcerting. Anyway they made me promise if I had a longer bout I would call 911! Right now just planning to see a doctor in the practice on Monday morning. Never dull.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so sorry to hear this @jomarie58! You have enough to worry about without adding this to your plate!
I would most defiantly call 911 if you have one iota of doubt! I don't mean to scare you (your problem may very well be nothing serious), but many years ago my ex had a heart attack and I remember vividly the doctor saying, "What's really a shame is the fact that we can stop a heart attack dead in its tracks, but people wait and as the heart attack progresses it causes more damage. We can't fix the damage, but we can stop it." So, definitely take the advice you were given. If in doubt, don't take a chance. Do you drink plenty of fluids? You are in my prayers daily.
 
Well the dizziness and lightheadedness continue, so I looked up my new meds....GUESS WHAT some of the side effects are for oxycodone??? Good grief, it says right there exactly what I have happening. Makes me crazy because I specifically asked home health care if it could be one of my meds! Going to try to reach the nurse at the surgeons office. Will stop the oxy for now. Anyone know how much Tylenol is safe to take? The bottle says no more than two 500 mg tablets every six hours.

Gosh that was crazy ----while I was typing the Nurse just called me! I had asked a question about constipation yesterday and she was calling about that so I went over the dizziness and all. She said those are not common side effects but can happen. She is switching my prescription to Norco to see if that helps. It is scary to stand up and feel dizzy after a hip replacement! I sure as hell don't want to fall!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Gosh almighty! What's wrong with some of these health "professionals"? Hopefully that's all it is, but do be vigilant and don't take any chances should you experience the same symptoms once you're on the Norco. On the Tylenol dosage, I know Josephine has recommended a much higher dosage of Tylenol than 500 Mg's a day (including how much might be in the Norco). I've been curious as well, so I'll page her or Jaycey. Need your help here @Josephine or @Jaycey? Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just on Tylenol all day today and it definitely is not as pain reducing but I want to stay off the oxy to see if that was increasing the shortness of breath and palpitations. Pt comes again tomorrow. I really don't do anything other than the ankle pumps when they are not around but find it interesting to see how my ability to do the other exercises changes without practice. Doing them tomorrow with only Tylenol may be more interesting than I like, grin,sigh!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Hopefully dropping the pain meds will do the trick. Better tell PT to be easy on you tomorrow. I hope the Tylenol will be enough to control your pain. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom