THR JoAnne's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi @chaseyboy . yes it does take time and patience. I know it's hard to hear that sometimes, especially when you want to be 'there' already. but each day brings you closer. I've been amazed by so many things, and particularly by my PT. she always says, if it hurts, don't do it. but I love how she can isolate a certain muscle that needs to first be stretched and then strengthened. eg, the adductor, I think (down the inside of thigh) felt like it was flapping around over the bone. she said it's the opposite, actually it's in spasm, so let's first stretch it (lean leg off edge of bed for awhile) and then we'll strengthen it. it works. but she also says, do exercises once a day. anyway. I'm 2 1/2 months out and starting to realize that life holds so many new possibilities. so, carry on. you'll be saying the same thing before too long.
 
Oh Joanne you are doing so great. Try and relax and remember each day you are getting stronger and stronger. I remember wanting to be "done" with the healing process after 2 weeks but that is not how it works. Rest, ice, elevate for now and "normal" will come soon enough. Take care my friend!
 
Oh Dickinson and Jp9294.. thanks for your support....really. ..:). When you are going through is healing phase it just seems like being normal seems so far away.....when I get there I will get there. ....what will I do when I don't need ice anymore. ..lol..Oh geez.....I am going to have the biggest party ever this summer.....thoughts of that really keep me going......ahh summer....I think having such a terrible winter here....all that snow....then topping that off with hip surgery would put anyone in a mood...:)....guess I really am normal....my normal..:)...thinking of all of you in recovery and pre op. ...xo

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@chaseyboy Hi, JoAnne, what day was your surgery? I had a very good day today. But, I know that I am going to have many ups and downs in the coming weeks. That is one of the best things about this site! You learn so much and realize everyone else is going through the same things! Hang in there. You have a wonderful attitude an that makes all the difference!
 
@Dmcfad2....Hi...so glad you had a good day...surgery was 3/10....you are right....good days and then boom....yeah I think we are all pretty much going down the same road.....yeah I thought woo hoo I will be good to go in two weeks.....Not.....lol....I was weepy.......for days...I'm sure it was from the meds in the hospital. That didn't stick around to long....today was day 13.....I elevated almost the entire day.....I have a feeling I will probably not be myself until week four....I shall see what happens with next week....I can only tell you I feel much better taking the pain medication on the clock. ...I wasn't early on....don't make that mistake....they may screw you up a little..but there are many things to take..so glad you did it my friend....and I know me and you will be posting soon.....woo hoo. ...we did it and we are almost there can't wait....:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Why do some doctors push pt and others do not
Lord only knows! It's by far the most counter-productive thing that can be done to a new knee or hip. There was a lady on the hip side the other day that was only 2 weeks out and being required to do 75 reps of quite punishing exercises every day! It's just totally crazy! Half the time I think it's the PTs that are quite clued up and have some weird ideas but the surgeons don't know about it, other times surgeons are almost threatening patients with MUAs if they don't get to X flexion in X number of days. Also stupid!
I guess the question is does healing come faster with pt?
No it doesn't! Actually it sets people's recovery back in spades as all it does is cause MORE swelling and MORE pain and LESS progress. Hence the mantra.

This all came from my surgeon who actually has a quite clear cut protocol: NO exercising for the first three weeks except foot rotations and ankle pumps (for anti-clot) and a few gentle heel slides. He's quite firm about that. Then one starts a few very simple and gentle exercises like getting straight leg lifts (2-3 lifts each morning!) and walking, this as per the Activity Progression article. He has his patients reviewed by PTs at weeks 3, 6 and 9 and they only get PT if they really need it because of slow progress. His MUA numbers are the lowest I've ever seen and his 'good outcomes' are the best. This I do my best to pass on to all of you.
 
Hi Chaseyboy! I am so proud of you. It sounds like you are doing wonderfully. You are still really early! Give yourself a full 8 weeks and you'll notice such a huge difference in how you feel and what you can do. I'm just over 4 months. I feel so normal that it is amazing. 5 months ago I would have never thought that I'd feel this way again. Your summer party should be right on target! You go girl! Life is good! life has taken over and I'm not on much any more -- I just wanted to stop by to see how everyone was doing! Last time I talked to you, you were still waiting for surgery. The worst is far behind you. There are many bright days ahead!
 
@newhip47.....thanks so much....it's so wonderful to hear you are doing so great....yeah I know it's early and even with my complaining....lol...I can see a difference in my strength already.....I just really find right now...the more I rest..the better I feel....when I came home I thought the more I move around the faster I would heal....not true..for me Anyway...the past three days I laid low...icing...getting up when needed. .exercising some. The pt when I first came home was hard. I have since told her I was cutting down on the amount of reps I would do. This has helped me a lot. My days are no longer full of pain....now it feels like healing pain.. Now when I say my surgery was 2 weeks ago I say Wow....look how far I have come...I can't wait for that summertime party...and I will be the one serving....lol..and not the one being waited on..:)..thanks friend. Wishing you all the happiness you deserve with your new hip..:) take care of yourself..

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Yay chaseyboy so glad you are doing well! Keep up the rest, elevate and ice routine! It really works!
 
@Freaky freak....How are you?...I bet you are running laps around the block girl!....you put me to shame....me and my complaining. ..LOL you are one strong woman doing two hips....I can really appreciate that now...today has been the best day ever....my daughter stopped in...she pulled her back out. Been nursing her today...and told her wait. ..there is something wrong with this picture..Lol....so I have felt like pieces of me are coming around....here we sit her with heat....me with ice....all is good...feel happy today....wishing you a wonderful life ahead.....but I know you are already living it.:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@chaseyboy All is well here Joanne, glad you have knocked out almost 2 weeks. It will continue to get better as each day comes and goes. I understand the impatience that comes with recovery, but know that all the dust bunnies will be there waiting for you when you are healed. LOL on the bathroom floor, nothing less than what I expected from you!! :rotfl: So glad you are doing good. I will be 5 weeks on Tuesday and life is good!! :yahoo: Please continue to post your wonderful recovery, looking forward to it!! :ok:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy two-week anniversary, @chaseyboy ! You sound wonderful and I can only hope I do as well as you when my time comes!
 
@MsFit1...thank you.....;) and be assured.....IF I DID THIS....LOL..you will be JUST fine......lol..even through the normal discomfort....I am glad I did it...and best if all. ..get ready for NO HIP PAIN.....;-)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for your encouragement, @chaseyboy !!! I have a consultation with another OS, but I couldn't get in to see him until April 10...so I might schedule then...yikes! Glad you're here as you're a great inspiration to me! :friends:
 
Well it is my third week of recovery. Things are pretty good. Still icing and resting..I feel I am on track to where I should be. Am I impatient?...YES...LOL I have to say that I have been very surprised when I read other recovery threads. I sometimes feel these posts of recovery in days...although which maybe the case for a few leave the impression that this is not major surgery....it is. During my second week I was asking myself why is this still hurting??? Well I was reminded you had surgery JoAnne... I have to tell you yesterday I felt I was good enough to walk through a store...boy was I wrong. My leg is still far from strong. I do the pt exercises all day long. I had this other delusional thought that I could go back to work this Monday. Think not...3 weeks is by far still early in recovery. I will get in the car next week and see how I do? Getting dressed is still not easy. .yes easier than two weeks ago...but I still cannot touch my foot and lifting the leg is not an easy task either....lol.,,so in order to get back to work I need to use my foot on the gas and I need to get my shoe on..,,lol...I just would like everyone awaiting the surgery...,do it.....I'm glad I did....just don't compare your recovery with everybody else...that may frustrate you...I will agree the surgery was easy....as for recovery..it's a process.each day is different. I'm certainly getting there.and if I look up hip replacement....I'm right where I should be:-)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@chaseyboy JoAnne, glad you still documenting what you are feeling. It is so helpful to us
who are yet to come.
It sounds like you are doing great, and are very happy with the outcome.
I am so pleased for you! :dancy:
 
Thanks for sharing your recovery story! You are so cheerful and have a great attitude. It's always helpful to read your posts. Makes it a little less frightening. :)
 
Hi Joanne @chaseyboy

Finally catching up on your thread. I think you are doing really well and yes you are impatient :heehee:

It's great you want to do stuff but take it easy not to do too much and keep up those pain meds.

I think I felt a lot like my own self at about 7-8 weeks....when I had no walking aids was a major breakthrough too. Also I had major energy drain and found that one of the hardest things to deal with.

I'm so proud of how far you've come from when you first started posting and am glad your real arthritic pain has gone :happydance:

Take care
 
@chaseyboy Joanne, Sounds like you are doing great!!! That positive attitude is wonderful to see!! Really glad you are happy with the outcome and that according to you I had a hand in, LOL!! It was all you, you had it inside all along, I just helped bring it out!! Love you!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom