THR JoAnne's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dmcfad2. Glad you enjoyed your cruise and are now ready to embark on your THR. Wishing you all the very best for the 20th. Keep us posted. Chrissie xxx
 
Hi @chaseyboy thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. It sounds like you are doing exceptionally well! Will you come over and clean my bathroom floor???? :heehee:
 
THIS IS REALLY LONG, SORRY!! @chaseyboy JoAnne, when I went into this I was scared out of my gourd! I had only found this site a couple of weeks before and in spite of the positive reports I was reading, I was horribly frightened. On the other hand, I know plenty of people who've had hips replaced, and all of them doing exceedingly well and very encouraging to me. When I had the surgery, the relief I felt when I came out of the recovery room and the anesthetic wore off my legs, I cannot tell you (well, maybe I can) the relief I felt that I was not in screaming agony.

During the first few days of my recovery in the hospital, I sometimes felt some pain but nothing that was not handled very quickly and effectively by the meds I was given. I was sent home with T3s which worried me a little as I was not convinced of their efficacy. Well, as long as I took them by the clock they worked great. At home, I spent the first 24 hours pretty much in bed, with ice and my leg elevated a lot of the time. Then my wonderful physiotherapist came to see me and showed me how I could actually sit with my family on the sofa and have a life.

I did not (indeed, could not) fight the tremendous urge to sleep a lot every day. I did not walk miles, I did not feel bad about not being able to do housework etc. From the beginning, my only chore was to fill my own ice bag and water bottle. After a week and a half, I began to be able to unload the top tray of the dishwasher and wash a few dishes by hand. The first time I did that, it was too much and it exhausted me! After about three weeks, I was able to unload the entire dishwasher. It all came in very small increments.

Of course, looking forward to a big trip was a huge motivator, but really I took to heart the BoneSmart mantra of rest, ice, elevation. It's all a blur now, the first couple of weeks and who cares? It all did happen. Tomorrow will be seven weeks. I still walk with a cane, I still don't have much stamina, but I have very little pain. I still ice and elevate at least once a day (because on this trip, I do too much at least once a day!).

Like you, I am having a problem with patience. There are so many things I'd love to be doing but I just cannot do them. I get very tired, and unbearably cranky to my wonderful husband. We both know then that it's time for a sleep. I either get 40 winks in a bus, in a hotel room, wherever I can and that helps a lot. I don't really care! There will be other trips (I sincerely hope) and I do get better, much more slowly, every day.

When I re-read the reports on BS, sometimes people write about being able to walk miles after just a few weeks - well, I have very bad arthritis in my feet and some in my knees and I don't imagine I will ever be able to walk for miles, new hip or no. But I will be able to go for a walk long enough to have some merit - maybe 2 or 3kms, and if I can do that without great pain, I'll be happy. Most of the reports I read are more similar to my experience - as you say, two steps forward, sometimes one step back, but it happens. When I read the reports of people who are celebrating a year or two, they are almost all very positive. I join DrToonz in being optimistic. I hope you feel much better soon
 
Joanne, you are doing wonderful. You make me proud. You know you are doing fine. Just remember it is called SURGERY. You will be over this healing process and we will say "remember when." A lot of people try to make recovering patients feel that if they are not walking miles or doing power activities like some claim after a short time, they are somehow inadequate. This process is to be taken seriously. Yes it hurts to heal. Today is 6 weeks and I have pain , but I see improvement daily. You are a strong, happy, beautiful person. And yes it sucks, but the outcome is gonna make it all worthwhile.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Brave gal @chaseyboy @grandma chris ... I know that healing pain is inevitable, and different than the arthritis pain you experienced before surgery, but do you feel BETTER than you did before??? Is the long healing time worth it? (I sure hope so!) :)
 
Msfit1 Hello, how are you? Since I am very early post op I can tell you there is pain but I suffered from horrid groin pain before surgery. That pain was gone when I stood up in the hospital. You will surely have the energy drain. I said oh I won't have that lol! My husband has been doing all the housework and meals. I think maybe next week I will try to do some simple things. Since I got home from the hospital it has been tv, trips around the house. I live in a four story home. Only been on the two.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Please excuse the typos. I miss the computer. trickie on the phone lol Anyways I just wanted to say my days up to this point have been trying to keep my pain at bay. When the pain is manageable I feel good. I think next week I will start to see the old me coming back. My husband has been so good to me. It's hard when for the first time in my life I need a little help. And I take it. It's obvious that our bodies do need rest to heal. After I do all that I can and I climb back on my recliner! I feel my new hip saying ahh thank you! Yes this will be worth it. This is short-lived. The other pain that I had, well that was a life sentence.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
but do you feel BETTER than you did before??? Is the long healing time worth it? (I sure hope so!) :)

Hi @Misfit1 - yes, I feel much better than before. I was walking with a cane and hunched over with pain, now I walk with a cane but no pain - so I walk much straighter. I am MUCH more tired than I was before, but that gets better every day. I am only 7 weeks in but I totally think it's worth it. Before, it was only going to get worse. Now I know it's all getting better, every day.
 
Great testimonial there @grandma chris . Glad you are enjoying your trip!
@chaseyboy Sounds like you are coming along nicely!! :happydance:
I really like your quote about life before the joint replacement being a 'life sentence'.
I so relate to that.
Today I had all those pre-op tests. Good grief.
I still have three weeks to go I think. :sick:
Today in the waiting area in the hospital, everyone had canes, and I was the youngest by far.
Felt weird. You are lucky to be done!
:yes!:
 
@MajorHeidi I told you stop worrying about this surgery, it will be over before you get to close your eyes lol When you get home all you need is icebags, pain meds and a comfortable chair, a cane- well maybe a walker (never used it, a raised potty seat and always know where the remote is! And don't forget, most of all determination. If you have all that - piece of cake. I have really treasured these moments with my husband through the pain it makes me happy to know I have such a good man, as your husband probably is too. Let him do for you, it will warm your heart. You are almost there xx

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Ladies, I've loved reading this thread! You are so there for one another! You are the essence of what makes BoneSmart what it is! Well done all!

True I've just spent some time editing most posts from 'text-speak" and other corruptions of the English language and grammar but what you say is pure gold!

You will need to get that strength back
Ladies, do please remember that in the first 3-4 weeks, your muscles are not weak they are injured! They don't need exercise, they need rest! Also remember that hips don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all these sore spots and aches and pains. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
Looking forward to week 2 of recovery. Now my leg just feels tight, healing pain
Which is also post-op pain! Pain comes in many forms including soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness.
Looking forward to week 2 of recovery
Well, just be careful you remember the article Activity progression for THRs
 
@Josephine....Why do some doctors push pt and others do not.....? I have to say my days are much calmer when I do my own pt. ..when she comes to the house I feel it sets me back a little..guess I will talk to her about this next week. I guess the question is does healing come faster with pt?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
I've wondered that myself @ chaseyboy! I never even saw the PT until week 9 and that was only because they thought I had an LLD...my surgeon said he didn't consider it necessary or beneficial. I did the exercises religiously and walked a lot...but no more than that! So glad that you are doing well as I remember how anxious you were before the op. It justs gets better and better......slow but steady....love Chrissie xx
 
Chrissie....hi....chrissie when did you start to feel like yourself.....I never realized I am such an impatient person....the hip pain is ling gone...but I am tiring from the post open pain...yes I am still on meds but you know those pills really don't make me to happy...lol...and I am a happy person.....I guess maybe it's frustration.....one day I feel great.....then 2 days later fees like I am back at square one....I just hate sounding like a big baby....I was so happy to say I did it......there is just a lot of work behind those 3 words...lol.I mean I am doing well...hearing that from my nurse and pt lady.....but honestly this is a struggle....

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Please excuse the typos.....lol..this phone typing is hard...lol

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Just probably expecting to much...so soon....i know. ...:-)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Ahhhh and there you've said it Joanne.... The first 2 weeks you are just happy to have got through the op and just be..... The next few weeks you want to be back to normal ..... You start getting impatient as your mind is there already..... However it's at this stage you have to get the patience ..... You've heard everyone say.... Slow and steady because your body has been through a lot of trauma and needs a lot of rest and recuperation.... It can't be rushed!!! I know at about 3 weeks I got so upset because I hadn't moved on as much as I thought I should have done..... But then I thought back to my pre op self who would never have believed the good progress I'd made up to that point...it is a struggle.... But so worth getting it right now JoAnne because the more you give to your recovery now.... The better it will be in the long term....I know I'm 6 months out now and I've just walked for 4 hours around RHS Wisley (a beautiful garden) without pain, without limping and without a crutch....the last time I visited was 4 days before my op and my hip locked and it took me 1.5 hours to get to the car park and in agony. Please take your time and take it easy... You've a lovely happy nature and you will have your life back in the not too distant future.....take care....Chrissie x x x
 
Thank you CHrissie......you made me feel better. ...lol...yes I just have to stay in the moment....my body keeps telling me rest.....so I will take care of myself.....when I look at what I post I sound ridiculous. ...lol....that's why I love you guys here.....I was just starting to think I was weak.....but I am not....,for goodness sake JoANne.....this is called healing.....I just have to remember the trauma was real....the pain is real....and that I am grateful to that wonderful doctor who has given me my life back....ahhh..see there...I get it...just feels better to write it...need a cold ice pack....later...xo: )

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom