THR JoAnne's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read through this thread -- and you give me such hope -- you mentioned the "calm" you felt just before surgery and I got to that this morning. Not sure how, but going to enjoy it and hope it lasts. I'm going to do this and stay hopeful. Your positive attitude is inspiring.
 
@chaseyboy - Hi JoAnne! Thanks for keeping us up to date. Sounds like you're right where you should be. I agree with you, I also feel quite impatient sometimes. I somehow read all the very fast recovery threads and didn't pay much attention to the ones that took a little longer :) Well, I don't consider that I'm taking longer, but I'm certainly not one of the quickies either. I think our attitude has a lot to do with it. I don't feel like I had much pain at all, but I did do an awful lot of icing and I took my meds by the clock. I'm off the big meds now of course, but I still take tylenol for arthritis and celebrex - I have arthritis in lots of other joints so I don't see that ending anytime soon. My incision feels quite good, but sometimes is tender to the touch and I don't want to knock it. My stamina is coming along but nowhere near where I want it to be. I will just keep on keeping on and know that eventually it will be fine. Truth be told, it's pretty good right now
 
@chaseyboy Just checking in to see how you're doing. I had a bit of a blue morning and stepped right in to a pity party. Just feeling like this is going to take forever before I'm back to normal. But, it's a little better this afternoon. :sigh:
 
  • Useful
Reactions: Me2
@Dmcfad2...I am right there with you girl. Nothing better than those little pity parties... Just have to bust out of this house....lol...I have made little trips. I just don't yet feel myself, and I think I am working to hard for it. It comes when it comes. I think I read to many oh so fast recovery stories.. And my PT lady who I seen for the last time today said JoAnne you are doing great...And...we have to really look at where we are...what we had done to our bodies....and look we can walk!!!!!! Maybe not great but we can....!!!!..Like I told you on your thread lets shoot for the 6-8 week mark...I am sure we will feel a lot better than this my friend. Sick of TV yet!!!!??? LOL Hang in there.....:SUNsmile:
 
@chaseyboy and @Dmcfad2 I hope mine turns out as well as both of yours....
You ladies are doing great. We learn here to take it slow, so as not to hurt things to make it harder, right?
Lead the way.... :ok:
 
@chaseyboy I am feeling like you and I think my journey is similar to yours. I see some of these rapid recoveries wher they start taking only Tylenol after a week and go back to work at 4 weeks and ditch their crutches or canes and I'm like "Really??" Just reading the stories makes me want to take a nap!:sleep:
Anyway, I know I am doing great and you are, too! I just had a weepy kind of morning. It's so nice to have this forum to bond with you all.
@MajorHeidi Thanks for your encouragement. I am really getting better every day and I need to remind myself of that. I went outside and walked halfway down my block today and back....twice! I guess I just want to be well right now? Is that too much to ask? LOL!
I get my staples out on Friday. I hope it doesn't hurt too much. Ouch.
 
@Dmcfad2 Staple removal isn't bad, kind of stings. Just take a pain pill before you go. I am seeing the discussion about the fast recoveries and I had the same feeling when I was where you all are. I am still only 6 weeks and still having to take Tramadol daily. I was able to ditch my cane for walking around the house but used it for outside walking until 4 weeks out, for stability and my own peace of mind. @chaseyboy Sending hugs to you all for healing!! @MajorHeidi Another 8 days and you will join the ranks of new hipsters!! It will be here and done before you know it, try not to stress.
 
Hey everyone...doing pretty good... Taking one more week to recover before returning to work...feel I need the next week...Can anyone tell me when will I be able to put on a sock...lol and shoe? So frustrating... Just want to reach that foot!!!! 4 weeks post op ..Thanks guyS....
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Me2
@chaseyboy ....I am able to put on socks and shoes, I am 30 days post op from BTHR. I have not done laces as I don't really do sneakers until summer. I have just been wearing sandals with a back strap or just slip ons. I actually work about an 1 1/2 inch wedge Saturday, feel achy today, don't know if it was the shoes or the rain we have had for 24 hours. I prefer barefooted around the house and in my office when I am alone, just enjoy the feel on a sturdy surface under my feet. Took a tai chi class and the instructor said that we have over 2000 nerve endings in the bottoms of our feet! Good luck when you go back to work.
 
@chaseyboy I was wondering how you were doing. I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. I'm glad you took the extra week. Are you able to walk without a cane yet? Do you feel you've turned a corner yet?
 
Oh Joanne you are doing great and you are right where you should be! This is YOUR recovery! I would say when I hit the 8 week mark was when I started feeling back to myself. Not completely, but the energy drain was gone for the most part and I was able to be on my feet for a much longer period of time. Hang in there. Time does seem like it is moving at a snails pace in the early stages of recovery, but then all of sudden you realize "wow my surgery was 9 weeks ago and look what I am able to do now!" Continued success!!!
 
@chaseyboy I'm glad you are doing well. I'm still having a time with socks and tying shoes, but that is more my back than my hips, which are great! Don't stress about exact time frames -- everybody is different. I am just so happy to be walking without pain in my hips, and my limp is gone!

Peace and love to you.
 
@Dmcfad2...Hey you sounded really good in you last post...well it's 4 weeks today. I really thought I would have returned to work today....but I still am not 100%....and I know this may take some time....this week I will need to practice driving for I really haven't driven much....my job is about a 20 minute drive...I still worry....I was up and out of the house in less than an hour before this....we shall see...right?..on top of this hip healing I am dealing with my knee....on the operated leg....it seems while I was walking around. ....not knowing I had a hip problem...my knee was getting screwed up by the way I was walking....something about the tracking is off...the knee cap tilts...ouch it's a killer....I will have to do or to try and get it back to normal....UGH..how are we not depressed...lol...lol....but I think it's going as expected...and I don't know about you....but you just can't push this...everyone I think heals on their own time....and as far as the cane..I still use it. ...yesterday I went to the food store...my daughter drove....I did it....won't lie....walking is still sore...I used the cane...so my friend...,here is to another week of this healing thing....I still ice As should you....and rest....once back to work....I guess the party is over.....I just hope by this time next Monday I will feel good enough to work....with this it's a week to week thing. .....you take care....I laughed when you said you wanted to jump up and down...lol....see....your getting there girl......keep up the good work....:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@Jp9294....Hi....you sound great....yeah I am really bummed....just a little...4weeks and still not really myself yet....oh no need for cane...but this is still pretty sore...so are you feeling pretty much like your old self...?.yeah still have the energy drain....I mean before this I never even sat on out recliner....lol...lol...just still have that desire to rest....hoping this week I will turn the corner a bit....the touching the foot thing is really a darn. ....I am trying to do a lot of stretching.....oh my...it's funny....my mom kept telling me....as soon as you start dressing up...and all that. ....you know make up....lol....outta the pjs everyone will think you are better.....lol..boy that was true...my daughter wanted me to go to the mall.......lol....I said oh my goodness....can't do that yet....lol.....my mom laughed. ...she said see I told you....now get that mascara off.....lol..so happy to hear your success story....I will be patient and shoot for week 6...each week brings a little bit more...take care of yourself......:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@Butterfly....Hi....thanks for the support....how long are you post op now?....Oh I try not to stress....but sometimes I do....just wanting to do everything...but can't not 100% anyways...like I said in previous posts...I thought I'd be ready to work....what's that saying....we'll you know what thought did....lol..,yeah....this shoe thing is the worse for me....lol....and thank you for that reminder that we all are different....and yes my horrid groin pain is history.....I am so grateful for that....this will pass to. Patience for me is oh so difficult.....lol....my husband's like mmmm YEAH THINK....LOL...have a great week Butterfly: )

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@chaseyboy , good for you! For allowing yourself to make it okay to wait a little longer on going bck to work. That's me, I think we all need to listen to our body and our inner instincts.
 
@ Chaseyboy.....noooo....stressing....your knee will get back to normal.....mine took some time...I thought they had done something awful to it during the op but they assured me it was my gait pre op and the swelling from the op...and it was...all good now....sigh...it takes time and that awful patience thing!!! I'm still struggling putting socks on...but that's my back and other hip ( another story...I've only got one good bit on my body.....my new hip..lol). Do take time until you go back...cos once you're back.....you're back!! Take it easy whilst you can...you will soon be there. Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Happy Nanny...thanks CHrissie for your support your a doll. ..yes I had time from work..I have four weeks..but only used two..thinking I would have been back this week...your right though once your back..your back...if. i didn't need a paycheck I would just take a full 8 weeks..,oh well I shall see what week Five brings....I mean oh I am much better than say 2 weeks ago..I just get worried. I really don't like the thought of returning to work still having pain...even though it's a desk job it's still not comfortable sitting upright for a long period of time. That's why I haven't really driven..oh I can but it's not comfortable....geez....what a cry baby I am....lol....but then I look at my xray of my new hip and SAY THATS RIGHT I CAN BE A BABY.....JUST FOR NOW....LOL:)....BE WELL EVERyoNE.....

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@gimphy....you are so right....we know our bodies. We will know when we feel like our old selves...yeah adding another week to my recovery sorta made me feel like..well you know...having people say oh Joanne must be having a hard time....then I though am I kidding...I'm not winning any prize for this....I'm gaining my life back and we all need to worry about ourselves...which is hard....but in the end everyday we take caring for ourselves will be so worth it..:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@chaseyboy Ha! YOU think your recovery is taking a long time??!! I'm 9, almost 10 weeks out & just started walking holding onto my countertops with my PT at my side!! Still dependent on walker, but maybe in near future will go to cane. Still exhausted all the time. Energy drain still, or too inactive because I'm not pushing myself to be up & around more? I've gone out to doctors, couple of restaurants & to have my hair cut & nails done. I don't even do anything around the house! Can't carry stuff with walker & never got the proper bag or tray. Sooooo.... Compare yourself to me & realize how fabulously you're doing!!! It's gonna take me MONTHS... I was not in good shape prior, & like many say here, that may make a big difference. Maybe. Enjoy your progress -- I'd love to be where you are. :heehee: Recovery is indeed unique.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom