TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great Jo! I've been hoping to read a post just like that from you!!! It sounds as if everything is going the way it should, uneventful, not too painful and as the others say, Boring!

You're so lucky that you're sleeping well as that's the most depressing part for a lot of us, you just don't function well without good sleep so let's hope it continues!

Keep us posted!:hapydancsmil:
 
Hi, Jo -

Your recovery sounds very similar to mine (other than the "incident"). I never really had much pain and I slept well. What is a little surprising this week (week 13) is that my knee felt a little sore around the kneecap after full days of work, something I hadn't experienced before. I'm fairly certain it may have to do with re-awakening nerves in areas that were numb for so many weeks. There is no swelling or heat and I'm not taking any pain relief (and haven't for several weeks).

Other than that little bit of soreness, "Neil" is a model citizen and is now carrying the burden of my rapidly deteriorating left knee. One month from today, "Buzz" gets done!!! To those reading this in trepidation, I should note that I would go into surgery tomorrow for my LTKR if I had my choice. I know what to expect and have far less fear and nerves this time around.
 
Hi Barb, I think we have been very lucky with our sleeping - I wonder why it works out for some and not others? You definitely know what to expect second time around, I can't believe how quick it's coming around for you. Good wishes to you.
 
Yeah, I never had any trouble sleeping either. I blamed it on the Tramadol! :th_heehee: :sleep:

However, I had other things to blame on the Tramadol which was constipation and a total absence of appetite!
 
Hi Jo,

Boring is really good where recovery is concerned. Quiet peaceful rest knowing that we have time to heal and everything else we need. I have had a peaceful day. They moved me into a lovely private room with a big window overlooking a magnificent botanical garden. I sat outside for the first time in a week and it felt good walking out of the hospital and breathing real air.

Other than a miscommunication abt my pain med doseage, today has been uneventful. like you, I am sleeping very well. Continued best wishes to you!

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
Not such a good day so far, not feeling that great. I woke up feeling fine and got myself to the bathroom and then ate half a slice of toast and cup of tea, took Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, then started to feel strange. Had a gurgling stomach, got up had a bm, gentle exercises and a little walk. Back to bed with ice and fell asleep for about an hour. Woke up and felt a bit better and had a walk around, then small amount of soup and tablets again. Also, I keep burping and i feel like my heart is beating too fast? Still don't feel how I have felt the last few days - any ideas from anyone? I don't feel like chatting to anyone on the phone either - wondering what's going on with me.

I am taking aspirin once a day with lansoprazole (stomach tablet) - I have wondered if that could be having an effect on me? So annoying as I thought I was doing ok :sigh:

I think it is very normal to feel the way that you do. The meds do all kinds of things to your stomach while they are taking the pain away. It is still so early for you. I remember the 10th day or so being the absolute worst and was not pleasant at all for the first 4 weeks. I would be home alone during the day and the phone would ring (which I kept close to me) and I just either didn't have the energy to answer or just chose not to because I just didn't feel like talking to anyone. It is so draining just healing, that any extra effort like chatting on the phone or to a visitor was hard. I think that each day will gradually get a little easier and a little brighter for you. :wubroses:
 
So great to hear how well you're doing, Jo!!! I'm all smiles!!!:biggrin:
 
Progress Report on Day 17

The last few days since I last posted have been routine as far as my recovery is going - normal and steady progress. My quads are happy and working well, pain is minimal - I am getting the odd nerve twinge, feeling more confident with walking. I am icing, elevating and exercising. Same old routine :snork:

Yesterday we had the family to visit and boy was I worn out when they had gone. All I did was to sit in my chair and chat!! I was also rather nervous someone might bash my knee, fortunately nobody did :wink1: It was nice to see different faces and I'm sure my husband enjoyed being dragged up the pub for a few pints at lunchtime!! He really did deserve the break (from me!!) :th_heehee:

Today I had my second physio appointment and I am pleased to report that we are still on the right track together and I trust him. He was pleased with my progress in a week and I came out of his gym with a big smile. I ventured onto the wobble board and was delighted how well my knee coped with it. He measured my rom and extension and both were a big improvement from last week but to be honest I am determined not to get too hung up about all that at this stage. He seems cool about it all but was pleased about the extension. Such early days!
 
Sweet!! Jo, it sounds like you are making amazing progress!

I sincerely hope your hubby had a few pints of the best local bitter, IPA or stout. I still look back fondly on four trips we did to GB in 1980, 1981, 1983 and 1987 (that last trip included Ireland and was a trip we won from Guinness//Bass). We also had a quick stop-over in London on our way to a Baltic cruise leaving from Dover in 2010, followed by a pass-through of Southampton on our way back home as we had a day there before our QM2 transatlantic westbound. Although I am a true "wino" now and have a tough time with beer, we went out of our way on our four driving trips at a very young age to find the best local ale, and I was even a card-carrying member of CAMRA for a while!
 
Thankyou ladies for your comments and encouragement.

Dawn - it is so great to see these little improvements, I know they are small but huge in terms of this recovery. I still love the fact I can put my full weight on my new knee; still feels weird but great!

Kathy - I hope it helps all you guys waiting, I know it really helped me to read good and normal progress reports.

Barb - gosh you know your beers - I'm impressed!! My husband is big real ale man and extremely fussy about the whole business. He was drinking a local one called Dartmoor IPA on Sunday - not his fav but the only one on!!
That last trip to UK sounded like a really good one - I can tell you love our holidays. I can't wait to get back to travelling with a good knee.

Mary - glad you like the reports and not too long for you now :thumb:

Carolyn - thank you, it seems to be slow but sure. I am happy with that!
 
You're doing really well Jo - what a difference from a week ago when you were fretting about the stairs and about 'that incident'!!:wink1: You're PT sounds great too, it's wonderful when you get someone to work with you rather than on you!

Visitors are great but yes they can be very tiring - that sleep when they've gone is great though eh?

So glad to hear you're doing so well, keep it up! x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom