Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou Goodasnew. I am pleased with my PT guy, he is just right for me. He measures me to start with and then does some gentle manipulation and is always checking that I am ok, he watches my face like a hawk - looking for grimaces I guess :th_heehee:. I always knew if I had the right PT person I would really benefit from it, so I am feeling positive about my physio work ahead. I know physio it's not for everyone but I enjoy to be pushed (to a certain degree).

It's great to hear you are doing so well and have your life back :thumb:
 
I really enjoyed my PT the first time around, made great progress and had no problems even when she tied my leg to the bed with velcro to improve the extension (that hurt but it I have to say it did work and it was only for a few minutes 2 or 3 times), then with the 2nd knee I had an Emirati lady who just couldn't communicate with me, just gave orders and completely ignored my pain! :cry4: I couldn't cope with it so decide to duck out and just do it myself at home. The knee is obviously fine but I'll never know if it would have been different if I'd had the same PT again.

You're really lucky to have someone who cares about not pushing you - you'll do great!:yes 4:
 
All I can say to you is ROCK ON!!!

I love happy stories.

Goodasnew, Velcro? Really???
Yikes! I'm glad it worked for you, but that sounds like torture to me!
Best,
Sandy
 
Goodasnew, I agree with Sandy - yikes!!! My PT guy gently pushes down my knee on the bed to help with extension, I must admit it's not comfortable, he does it until my thigh and hamstring muscles have had enough but it doesn't hurt the knee. (Just in case anyone reading this that has not had a TKR yet, it really is fine for the new knee and doesn't hurt it in any way, it is purely to stretch the muscle and ligaments at the back of the knee). I don't want to frighten folks :th_heehee:
 
Jazyb, exactly!. Those extension exercises were a huge surprise to me -- I didn't know I stood all wrong! -- but they really help and don't hurt the knee.
 
The velcro was OK really, made me grimace a bit but that's all. The great thing is to be able to stand in front of the mirror sideways on and see that that backs of my knees are now level with thighs and calves - before they were permanently bent. Now if I stand in a queue, I stand with them locked in that position - no pain, and it's not tiring at all - these knees are really strong - you can put all your weight through them and they don't complain!:yay:
 
I am just about heading into my 4th week of recovery and really wondering what is next for me. I have got a little confused the last few days as to how much I should be doing at this stage of recovery. When I read what other people are doing that are maybe 1 week behind me I do think I should be doing more - I am confused!!

I do my exercises 3/4 times a day, walk around the house and go up and down the stairs twice a day. I am making the occasional cuppa and load up the washing machine and really that's about it. Then I read about people walking 2 blocks a day, shopping and some using only a cane after 2 weeks and I think maybe I am not pushing myself???

I haven't gone outside for a walk yet (other than the physio) as we have a gravel drive and live in the country with no pavements and an uneven road to negotiate directly outside. So I am apprehensive about using crutches on all of these surfaces. I have said to my husband that I will give the gravel drive a go tomorrow :rolleyespink:

I know everyone is different with their motivation but I feel some folks on here are way ahead of me. I can honestly say I do not feel I could possibly cope with shopping or walking two blocks as I feel immobile still. Don't get me wrong I feel safe walking around the house in my familiar surroundings - am I sounding normal? I just don't have the desire to escape and hobble around and I feel quite content at home getting better slowly.

I have tried to read older threads to try and gauge what is normal for my stage of recovery but I really can't tell. Any thoughts are more than welcome. Sorry to have gone on a bit ......
 
It's your knee and it's your recovery so don't worry about what other people do; just do what feels comfortable for you. Every knee and every recovery is different - but 99% of them end up in the same good place.

In the great scheme of things, if it takes you a month or two longer to hit Sainsbury's, it's not a big deal. It will still be there waiting for you; shopping will still be needed (unfortunately!) and their profits will still increase ......................

Just take it easy, gentle exercises, loads of rest and thank God you have a great excuse to laze about - it probably won't last long! Do a little more when you want to. I found that suddenly one day not only did I want to do a bit more but I actually had the energy to do it. But it happened on its own, you can't force it.

They're forecasting snow here over the weekend - now there's a good reason to stay in!
 
Jo, the approach I am using is to try things in small increments, then if they work, do a bit more. I did that with painkillers, now with walking.

I think it's key to leave 24 hours because swelling after stress isn't immediate, so simply I do something and if I'm no worse next day, well do it again a bit more.

People say they do stuff then ice the joint (sounds like gangster talk that...) but I don't any more. I want to know if I'm going to get a bad effect, so that I don't do it again.

Heck, 4 weeks is early too. Don't feel guilty, av a bit more telly.
 
I'm watching you closely, Jo! I am having BKTR on 2/20 and want to follow a positive outcome so you're my example :) Knowing nothing and having no real knowledge, IMO you shouldn't do anymore than you are comfortable with unless directed to do so by the Doc or your PT. The thing that is really sticking with me reading all of the threads is that this is not a sprint but a marathon. You could probably do much more but that could turn out badly, or not, depending on YOUR KNEE. Be careful, my friend, I'm watching you and look forward to your guidance as I begin my journey. Be safe! :wink1:
 
I wouldn't have been walking on a gravel drive at your stage either, Jo.
 
What Deeden said! Great advice! Do what feels right for you, because everyone is different.

At 4 weeks, I was still using 2 crutches most of the time, and had just started moving around inside with one crutch. Over the course of that week, I dropped the use of the second crutch - I seemed to have a spurt in progress that week.

I started driving again at 5 weeks, after carefully trying out the pedals several times.

Now at 7 weeks, I walk without a stick around the house, but still use it out of doors. I have done the supermarket shopping, but need to rest for the afternoon afterwards.

We're in here for the long haul, so let you knee and your body take their time! It sounds as if you are doing just fine.
 
Jo,

Today marks week two for me and considering where I was at this pt two weeks ago, I am encouraged. A few minutes ago I was able to prepare a nutritious lunch for myself. I'm able to groom myself, dress myself, and am much more independent than I was right afer surgery. I can tell I'm physically stronger which increases my commitment to do these exercises. I havent decided yet if I will enlist the aid of a therapist or just do it on my own. That will depend on how disciplined I am and if I seem to make steady progress, both physically and mentally. For example, 2 weeks from now, if I'm still lounging around in my jammies all day, I may need some help shifting into a different gear. In the meantime, I am trying to be as gentle and considerate to my body as i can because I have only to look at this long, bruised suture to remind myself that this surgery was significant. I need time to heal before I start barking orders at myself to do anything more.

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
Hi Jo,

At 3 weeks I was using one crutch around house and have only gone to none at 6 weeks. I did try earlier, but found it too tiresome. I too have only been outside to go to physio. And I would still use 2 crutches to go to any public place.

Everybody's recovery is different. Do what you feel you can do. From memory it was about 3 weeks that I felt that I was never going to improve, but of course you do.

Stay positive my friend.
 
For example, 2 weeks from now, if I'm still lounging around in my jammies all day, I may need some help shifting into a different gear.

Oh darn! :DOH: Does that mean I should be getting dressed everyday?! :rolleyespink:

Seriously Jo, you are doing fine!! At four weeks you should still be resting most of the time. Walking on gravel? That would still worry me even now! I never did do much walking around outside, besides the weather which is better now than it was in November and December, we also don't have sidewalks or level ground to walk on. (Level being both smooth and flat in my case!) I did just fine - you will too! :thumb:
 
Hi Jo
Good advice from everyone. It's your knee and it's different from everyone else's. I know how true that is because my own two knees are so different. I would say that recovery with my first one mirrored yours. By the beginning of the fourth week I had just started venturing outside, walking up and down the road for 100 yards or so.
But my second one has suprised me by being easier. While my first one was bruised from knee to toe this one hasn't bruised at all and I have already walked up and down the road.
But as Roy says its really important to monitor progress the next day and not be too eager to get going. I made the stupid mistake of going on an outing to London by train in week eight and really paying for it for a week afterwards.
This early stage is for healing and rest and there are no awards for pushing ourselves.
I think you are doing just fine.
 
Thankyou everyone for your comments - they have all been so useful and I have learnt that I am probably doing ok at my stage and I shouldn't judge my progress to anyone elses.

Glad to know that Kneeper wouldn't be doing the gravel drive yet.

Celle and Margaret - thanks for your info on how long you were using crutches - I definitely feel better about that now.

Deeden and Roy - thanks for your sound and solid advice. More telly - I have been watching the cricket and tennis this week - not all bad I suppose!

Bev - thanks for your comments and I am pleased that you consider my recovery to be a positive one. I did the same thing before my surgery and followed people that were doing well and seemed to have a normal recovery. It really does help with the lead up to surgery. I shall do my best for you and I shall be following you with your BTKR.

Dori - you are right, we have been through a lot with this surgery and we need time to heal. It all takes time.
 
And finally from Mother Hen, here in this thread is

Walking and other activity
Hip or knee, walking is about the best exercise you can do but again, you need to moderate your time and distance.
Always use your walker, crutches or canes as appropriate, only moving from one to the other as you gain confidence or until as advised by your PT or physio.
I would suggest the following regime

Week 1
Walking around the house. Trips to the bathroom and kitchen are included!
Being up on your feet several times a day as you need to but don't get obsessive about it.
A 5 minute walk every one to two hours is plenty.

Activity: nothing but rest, occasional trips to the kitchen to get a snack or a drink and to the bathroom for potty and showers!

Week 2
Start on a plan of walks around the house lasting longer than 5 minutes but don't a) get into too much pain and b) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point

Week 3
Take short walks outside the house in the garden, driveway or road for about 5-10 minutes maximum, once a day

Activity: prepare yourself a meal or help prepare a family meal - but just peeling the potatoes or similar

Weeks 4 and 5
Lengthen the walks to about 10-15 minutes once a day, maybe twice a day if it doesn't cause your knee/hip to swell or be painful.

Activity: now you can do some dusting and push a vacuum round the middle of the living room; do more meal prep and maybe fill and empty the washing machine

Weeks 6 and onward
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!

Bed making and changing sheets, cleaning bedrooms etc., can wait until about week 8!
 
Jo,

The words I didn't like to hear were "pusing yourself". There is no pushing just sit back and let it happen, it will. All of a sudden you just feel like you can tackle something and give it a go and there you have it done. Let your knee tell you when you are ready for it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom