TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Josephine - reading that I should definately be thinking about stepping it up this week (start of 4th week) and try and find somewhere to walk outside for 10 minutes or so. Also, maybe think about doing some cooking - oh no :th_heehee:

Thanks Rose - you are right about suddenly feeling like doing something. My husband has been brilliant about doing the chores around the house but washing is not his thing and I have now taken over that little job.
 
I didn't see I had 2 posts from last night that I hadn't read.

Kat - thanks for that, it's good to know you didn't do much walking outside at this stage and look how well you have done! I guess I am worrying a bit too much about this walking lark! I do my walking on a our landing, which is a nice long stretch with carpet - nice and safe.

Diane - thanks for your advice. As you say every knee is different and I shouldn't compare myself to others too much (hard though!). You are doing great.
 
Hi Jo,
Everyone is absolutely right. Do not compare yourself to anyone else, someone may be walking outside/without aides/for longer/doing the shopping etc. but maybe they are having other problems that you are not having or you are 'ahead' of them in other areas. Unless you are that 'other' person you will never see the whole picture of their recovery. You are you and your knee is yours and it will get better at it's own pace not anyone else's.

Do only what you think you can do, if you think you can do it, have a go, your knee will soon tell you if you shouldn't have done it! But be sensible. I pretty much stuck to Josephine's plan on activity, not because I had read it, I didn't find it for weeks, but that was the plan that my knee had.

Don't compare ROM either, it will drive you mad. As will worrying about swelling, it will go when it's good and ready. You are doing great, enjoy the rest and let your husband look after you, he will want to so give him the opportunity to do so.
 
Thanks SRN I appreciate your comments and I know you are absolutely right. I think maybe I am at the stage when my brain is starting to get into gear and say that I should be doing more but my knee is saying "No, still not ready". My knee is in charge :sigh: Thanks again.
 
You're doing fine Jo - you don't need to push youself just yet so I would enjoy the relaxation if I were you. For some of us our home situations force us to have to do more earlier but it's not necessarily a good thing! Hubbie works away a lot so for me it was absolutely necessary for me to get out and about as soon as I was able (I paid for it in swelling and pain at night though!) I had to get my daughter to school so that was 4 x 15 min drives every day and I would pick up small amounts of shopping on the way back (just enough for one evening meal). I didn't really have anyone I could call on to help me out so just had to do it, but had I been in your situation there's no way I would have been doing those things at 4 weeks!

You'll start to feel more energetic in the coming weeks and able to do more but please don't push youself! Take care x
 
Thanks Goodasnew, That sounds like good advice and makes sense to me. This sure is a learning curve for me!
 
Hi Jo,

I agree with all the others. Take your time, don't compare and add activity cautiously as you go. You will see what works and what doesn't.

I never went out for a walk per se, I went to the grocery store at first with my hubby, pushed the cart instead of using my crutches and tried to stretch out my strides. Short trips at first, but longer over the next few weeks.

Honestly for me, my recumbent bike has been the best. I was able to get a full rotation only after three weeks, and have never looked back since. I started slowly, then added more minutes as my stamina improved, then started adding resistance once I felt stronger. I am on the bike now everyday for at least 25-30 minutes and have the resistance up to about half. Now remember I am 5 1/2 months post op, so this seems right for my recovery. If I don't get on the bike for some reason, I feel tighter all day.

Also, I used one crutch for 3-4 months. Many others have had the same experience, TarHeel for one. I needed it for stability and because my limp was so bad. After the MUA, I went to a cane, and then shortly after no aid. I felt like a big failure having to use the aid for so long, but that was my recovery and need.

You are still early in and have been doing well by all accounts. Keep the patience mantra going and look ahead to better days. They will come, it will take time, but you will arrive. For me, it was like a switch got flipped and boom, no more cane, felt stronger and more clear headed, stamina and concentration returned, pure joy! That took me 4 plus months.

Keep posting your progress and we are all with you on your journey!

Dawn
 
Thanks Dawn and I appreciate your feedback. It feels good to know that we all progress at different rates and you all think I'm doing ok. I have an exercise bike and I can't wait to be able to get on it.
 
As far as lounging in the pjs--I got dressed every day once I got home. But lest you think I'm pointing out how virtuous I was, getting dressed consisted of putting on shorts and a t-shirt. It was summer, you know. :th_heehee:
 
I counted it as getting dressed as long as I on a bra and underwear, even if I put pajama pants on over them! :th_heehee: And by that definition, I got dressed everyday after I got home too. :snork: (Some days it may not have been until afternoon, but I did get dressed everyday!)
 
Wow, it doesn't seem like four weeks that you were having your surgery, Jo. Has it gone quickly for you, or has the time dragged?

You seem to be doing great with a positive mind :thumb:

Kathy
x
 
Hi Jo,

Have you tried your exercycle yet? I got on mine just at under 3 weeks, with seat highest and tension on the very lowest. All I could do for almost a week was swing the pedals back and forth. You can see the improvement as you get further up towards the top (coming backwards). Then with trepidation, over the top it goes but still backwards. Then keep going backwards. Yes its hard and scary. Then forward you go and boy oh boy that feels fantastic.

And three weeks later, I still do the swing first and then backwards, for up to a minute and then go forward with absolute confidence.

My physio told me the exercycle is the most wonderful thing for improving ROM. My surgeon had told to me to start the exercycle after 2 weeks post surgery.

Have fun.
 
Kneeper and Kat - I tend to get dressed just before lunch but the outfit is always the same. Black yoga style pants, t-shirt and fleece - everyday; so boring but practical :thumb: The first week it was just pjs; no energy for anything else!

Kathy - The time went quick in the first couple of weeks but it is really dragging now. It seems to be just the same routine everyday. My life revolves around eating, medicating, exercising and icing. I am actually looking forward to going out to go see the physio on Monday :th_heehee:

Margaret - I haven't ventured onto my bike yet, I will wait for my physio to say it's ok to give it a go. I feel my knee is not flexible enough for that just yet. Just a side note - my stepdaughter lives in Wellington and absolutely loves it there. It looks a beautiful country.
 
Hi Jo,

I know the feeling re clothes. My yoga pants have been a godsend, so comfortable.

I have a couple of friends in Wellington. I live in the South Island, in Queenstown. So I've been sitting recovering looking out at the mountains. And its summer here, but a couple of days we're had snow on the tops. One day its 30 degC then next it can be 10degC.
 
Kathy - The time went quick in the first couple of weeks but it is really dragging now. It seems to be just the same routine everyday. My life revolves around eating, medicating, exercising and icing. I am actually looking forward to going out to go see the physio on Monday :th_heehee:.
I hear ya!
 
Hi Jo,

I too at your stage just couldn't wait to see the physio, and I definitely would not try cycling until you have seen her. I did try this early on and although I classed my recovery as pretty average, it was a long time before I could make that full cycle round, and then it hurt some, but after that it became easier. The best thing I found was aqua fit exercises. I was in the water as soon as my scar healed, fairly long time for me, and walked backwards and forwards, side stepped, and did the knees bend exercises in the water and it helped so much!! No weight to bear, and the knee felt more normal in the water than out of it. Then I actually jogged in the water too!

You seem to be doing so well anyway, and I am sure you will go from strength to strength in your recovery. Just remember its a real marathon and not a sprint, and we are all in it for the long haul.

Its been very frustrating at times, and I have tripped a couple of times, but this only made me realise just how strong these new knees are, and taking it one step at a time really pays off. Hope the PT helps and your 6 week check goes well. Keep us posted please.:friends:
 
I thought I would check in. Not too much to report in actual fact. I am in my 4th week of recovery and feel that everything is probably as it should be. I went to the physio yesterday and he was pleased with my progress. My extension has really improved (such a relief), thanks to Roy pointing me in the right direction for a simple little exercise. Foot on the edge of a stool and letting in hang, not comfortable but effective. My ROM is slow to get going but has improved from last week (trying to be chilled out about that one). He said my walking is coming along and I seem more confident with my gait. I am still using two crutches and would like to think that soon I will be able to go down to one.

I read with interest how other folks are doing and it still amazes me how some are pushing themselves so much. I sometimes feel that I should be doing more but then I stop and think how all the experienced folks on here have said it takes time and there is no way of getting to the finishing line any quicker. So, all in all I'm happy with my steady progress with no heavy pain killers and good sleep pattern. I always said it would probably be three months of slow rehab and I think that will be the case. Even my physio told me not to expect to feel normal until about three months and he should know.

Happy recovery to everyone in the throws of it all and keep positive :thumb:
 
The time went quick in the first couple of weeks but it is really dragging now. It seems to be just the same routine everyday. My life revolves around eating, medicating, exercising and icing. I am actually looking forward to going out to go see the physio on Monday :th_heehee:

Originally I thought to myself with all those weeks off work, convalescing, I would teach myself Photoshop, continue with my family tree research and make all my birthday and Christmas cards for the year (cardmaking is a thing I love to do). That will fill all my time, I thought. But as I understand it, those early weeks are hard for concentration with fatigue thrown in. So maybe I won't get as much done as I thought? Seems like I'll be horizontal in the early weeks and not able to sit at the computer :rolleyespink:

Kathy
x
 
Three months but improvement along the way sounds heavenly. I'm loaded up with techo equipment and hope to keep myself occupied as I do now sitting around unable to walk or stand for more than a few minutes at a time. I love hearing that as you go, you grow a little bored with the whole knee thing, can't wait to NEVER TALK ABOUT MY KNEES AGAIN! Keep up the posting ladies, I enjoy hearing about your experiences.
 
I know that bored, stuck in a rut feeling Jo! You're probably feel pretty well by now and just get a bit frustrated at the slow progress! But that's what this is all about - it is boring but a bit of patience now will pay dividends! You're doing really well if you're sleeping OK and not having much pain this early on. Once you're a bit more mobile and can get out more life will look a little rosier and then you'll start to enjoy doing those things that are no longer painful or impossible - the best is yet to come!

I see you're on here every day giving encouragement to others, as you always have, so here's some for you!:flowerysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom