TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aretha, It is always so sad when we loose our beloved pets and it does take a long time to recover. We have lost 2 of our dogs in the last 3 years and it still hurts. I must confess I could not live in the house without a dog so I say to you get another one asap :thumb:

I'm so envious of all you ladies having access to pool therapy, it sounds so much fun.
 
We are so definitely going to get another one, would get one tomorrow but there are no fences intact around our property at present, and with so much building work going on it would be hard to puppy train a dog, I am sure it would run away or get hurt by the big equipment here for some time.

With so much going on, and the noise it would probably frighten a pup to death so best to wait until we are finished, and need something else in our lives to fill the gap, and a puppy then would be perfect. I love labradoodles and spinoni's but I think my hubby would prefer us to get something smaller as we are getting older and its likely to be our last pet, so we will see!

Jo, is there not a private or public pool anywhere near to you that you could use?

Take care ladies xx :friends:
 
Hi Jo, just caught up with your thread, your dog looks gorgeous, it's great that you can go out with her again! That was one of the best things for me, just to stroll around and appreciate doing something normal again (minus the pain).

As for exercises, I think I stopped doing the routine when I went back to work - for one thing I just didn't have time anymore, and I believe walking around a huge school and going up and down stairs several times a day is exercise enough! I guess it depends on your lifestyle but everyday activities are likely to be enough for most people. I will get back in the gym this year though as I'm determined to go skiing at Christmas - my friend turns 50 and wants us all to go skiing to celebrate! Heres hoping! Take care x
 
11 Week Update

It will be 11 weeks tomorrow that I had my surgery :dancy: and I feel everything is going really well. I haven't posted for a while as I felt I didn't have anything too exciting to report. If I'm honest I would say I have plateaued and according to the TKR Recovery Chart it seems I probably have. I hope that I will see more significant progress in the next few weeks :scratch:

The progress I can report on is the following :- I can walk up and down stairs, I don't take my crutches anywhere, I can now walk up and down a steep slope in my garden to look after my chickens (hubby is very pleased about that little bit of progress :wink1:), I can walk further with Roxy, I can stand on my operated leg and put my knickers on without holding onto anything :blush: and I have not had any pain medication for weeks.

My extension is where it should be (don't have the figure but totally straight) and my ROM is about 124. That is the thing I feel stuck on at present and I'm really hoping that it will improve in the next few weeks. It just feels stuck at that point and it has felt like that for the last week or so. That is my only gripe as I do want more ROM to feel comfortable with everything I want to do.

The only other slight progress I can feel is the tight band over my knee is getting a little easier (only a little). I do feel if wasn't there my walking would be easier and looser. Again, I really hope I loose that feeling - I know we all have it and hate it :hissyfit:.

I am still working hard to get rid of the limp and I can still be seen doing lots of silly walks along my lane :th_heehee:. When I concentrate on my walking I can loose the limp but I am still trying to convince my brain not to baby my knee :secretaea:.

So, that's about all from me. I know some folks are not doing so well with their knee journey and I truly feel for those that are struggling and I feel very fortunate that I have had a relatively easy ride so far. I send everyone all my positive thoughts for recovery and healing.
 
My extension is where it should be (don't have the figure but totally straight)
Hmm, to be nominal one should be able to sit on the floor with the leg out straight, heel on a book placed on the floor (a reasonably substantial paperback, for instance, maybe not as big as a Tom Clancy) and have the back of the knee on the floor.
and my ROM is about 124. That is the thing I feel stuck on at present and I'm really hoping that it will improve in the next few weeks. It just feels stuck at that point and it has felt like that for the last week or so.
You're stretching every day of course...?
 
Sounds like you're doing awesome, Jo!! I can't wait to get there. My patience is really running on empty right now.

124 ROM is in my dreams, I guess. I had my home PT measure "Neil" at five months because I felt like I could really do anything with that leg and it came in at 105 (she did this multiple times in various positions). I was stunned and disappointed because I thought it would be much more than that. "Buzz" is still stuck at 86. My PT thought I was ok for my level of activity. In spite of the fact that I have lost over 50 pounds in recent years, my knees are still really fat (hard to get that adipose tissue to bend to gymnastic proportions). Well, at least I'm at zero on extension, which is what my OS worries about.

It's really odd - my HMO is not very concerned about flexion, unless I was still stuck in the 70's, but is much more concerned about extension. I guess they figure it will come over time. Today was also my last home PT visit so I'm on my own to improve unless my OS orders that useless outpatient PT.
 
It's really odd - my HMO is not very concerned about flexion, unless I was still stuck in the 70's, but is much more concerned about extension.
Not so odd IMO. Extension affects the way we stand and walk. If you can't get close to 0 then you can't 'lock' your knees and stand properly, nor can you take a full stride (as you step forward the back leg straightens - indeed taking long strides is a good extension exercise).
 
Roy, my physio always measures my extension and he has said I am straight and can see no daylight when I am laying on the couch!! Also, when I stand I can get my operated leg to lock back. I am always stretching and pushing for my ROM and using the bike for that.

Barb, it's hard work all this ROM and extension work - more so for you as you have got double the trouble (so to speak)!!
 
Jo,

124 sounds like a great number to me! I have no idea what my ROM is at this point but I do know that it has improved since the last time I posted about it. I received some great tips from lots of BoneSmarties. I also started incorporated mild heat to warm my ligaments and tendons up prior to stretching, and holding the stretch at least 10 seconds until just before it hurts. As a result, I am able to do some activities with greater ease, like stepping in and out of the bathtub.

Congratulations and continue to enjoy your wonderful reccovery:)

Dori
 
You're stretching every day of course...?
Roy, my physio always measures my extension and he has said I am straight and can see no daylight when I am laying on the couch!! Also, when I stand I can get my operated leg to lock back. I am always stretching and pushing for my ROM and using the bike for that
Ahhhh, I was kinda kidding you, I know you're up with all this stuff
 
Hey Jo: my OS's prescription is to get my knees to 120. So you're ahead of my game. My knees are still hard as blocks, and I feel until the swelling goes down some more, I won't be able to flex much. And I haven't even gone over 1 step! I need to find some and learn. And I also okay attention to my gait when I walk. My feet turn out on their own. PT to teach them to point forward.

Dori. You are right about the info on BoneSmart. What would have I done if I hadn't discovered the site ( I can't remember if I found it thru my OS's website or thru Stryker).

My home PT pointed out to me that my right leg was smaller than the left. I lost some muscle mass pre-op since I could hardly bend that knew. Right hamstrings are weak. I'm paying a little more attention to th right leg; hope the left doesn't notice!
 
PooShay, it is so hard to change the way we walk - it must be hard to try and get your feet to point forward, when they are not used to it. It must take a lot of concentration, I know for me I have to be really focused when I'm trying to get rid of the pesky limp. How you BTR folks manage stairs - I really don't know :what: , it's bad enough with just one dysfunctional knee. I have the same issue with weak muscles in my left leg - they do tend to get tired these days after my walks but I quite like that feeling as I haven't felt it for a while. We shall get there :thumb: take care.
 
Hi Jo, what a nice report! You have lots of good news to share, so keep sharing. Your recovery is such a nice example of how to get it done and what to do. Maybe not too exciting, but a source of comfort to many. Not exciting is great in the TKR journey 8-)))

Your post did make me smile, I can just imagine your taking care of your chickens, sound like a nice life you have!!

Be well and thanks for bing such a caring, empathetic supporter on here. I personally appreciate it very much!!

Be well,

Dawn
 
That's a great report Jo - I told you boring was good in this game!:rolleyespink:

Your ROM will continue to improve I'm sure over the next few months - you're still relatively early in recovery. My 14 month old knee is now about 150 which is great, the 6 month one is still around 120 and I don't feel like it's going to improve much more but I maybe wrong (hope so!) That tight band is remaining swelling and until that goes completely your ROM will be a little bit limited.

I'm on 2 weeks school holiday now and determined to get in the gym every day and cycle to try and get some more ROM! I just don't seem to have the time otherwise!:blush:

Hope all continues to go well for you! x
 
Thanks Goodasnew. I do remember you telling me boring is good :wink1: That's interesting that your knees have a very different ROM measurement. Enjoy your 2 week break :thumb:
 
I am beginning to agree that boring is indeed a good thing at this time. Every now and then I think about all the things that are happening in the city right now: Fotofest, Bayou City Art Festival, The Livestock Show and Rodeo, the Crabfest, and on and on....and this year I will miss it all because I'm not strong enough to drive in, navigate my way thru the crowds, mull around, etc, etc. So I am going out each day and doing my thing for a few minutes and coming home and that's that.

But all these same activities will be there next year and I will be all healed up and able to really enjoy them in a pain-free manner. THAT is worth waiting for. I don't mind being a little bored sometimes.

I would like some chickens....fresh eggs from range-roaming happy chickens sound delicious:)) Nice!

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom