TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report Jo - so glad you could get out and about and enjoy the sunshine! We are certainly lucky to be able to have new knees at all - I am grateful every day for mine. That sense of wonderment and painfree walking will go on and on!

We went to Dubai Mall yesterday and then at the end of the day after walking around for about 3 hours we couldn't find the car!!!!:scratch: It took another hour of walking round in circles before we finally found it and guess what??? No pain in either knee!:biggrin::yay: It's days like that when you really realise what a great gift you've been given! It's also inevitable that you won't spend as much time on BS - there's just so much to catch up on with your normal life, but we hope you will keep popping in to let us know how your getting on! Stay well!:friends:
 
Congratulations on a pain free wander looking for the car., goodasnew.:wink1:
 
Hi Jo and Goodasnew,

It's so nice to be at the point now where my knee is not the first thing on my mind the moment I wake up in the morning. Thanks for your uplifting posts!

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
Hi Bonesmarties
Although I made the 3 month mark last week and was feeling very pleased with my progress my knee reminded me yesterday afternoon it is still very much in charge!!!

My hubby and I decided to take Roxy on a walk we haven't visited in years due to my knee. We parked the car and headed off to the gate and I clocked the incline that was looking at me. I thought it looked ok as it was a gradual incline and I was able to do it years ago. I didn't say anything to hubby and just got on with it but after just a short distance the lower part of my knee started to feel uncomfortable. I mentioned to hubby my knee was playing up and it was time to turn back. I was fretting that I had done something and was pleased to get back to the car. I realise now that my knee didn't like full weight on an incline just yet.

When I got home I got the ice on it and it was fine. I then did my normal walk with Roxy on a nice flat road surface. I shall be giving inclines a wide berth for a while now and stick to easy routes. Today my knee is fine and I have done all my exercises and walking with no problems. A lesson learnt for me - my knee is still the boss :thumb:
 
It is Jo, and its unlikely for some time to let you forget it. I found the month or so after I was four months the hardest, I had more tightness and the grip like vice feeling that I was sure that I had done something in my sleep, but I think it was just thinking I was going on fine, and overdoing it a bit, and there was that knee reminding me that it needed more time, and so I gave in, took it easier, and of course in time the knee celebrated and got better some. Still some tightness at the very top part of my knee but if thats as good as it gets I can live with it, there is absolutely no pain at all, just tightness!

Glad you are listening in your own knee though, and good luck with the healing. :friends:
 
Good question Kathy...

Jo, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you didn't have any major repurcussions from the incline. I do understand how you might have attempted it and it's good that you quit when you did.

At 3 months, we're feeling so much better than we did in the beginning of our recovery that w just want to go full steam ahead...but not yet:):friends:

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
Hi, Jo -

Sorry you had trouble on the incline but it's probably not surprising. I have been doing gentle slopes walking around our neighborhood, but it will be interesting to see what happens with a really steep slope, especially going down.

It is a long process and I think we all get a little complacent when the new knees act docile for a few days. By the end of the summer, I hope I can walk at least two miles a day, do stairs normally in both directions (I can do "up" normally now, with a cane) and be able to walk up or down a fairly steep slope. We have a big cruise in September in Europe and some of our ports are renowned (or infamous) for steep, cobblestone streets.

Speaking of cobblestones - I know they look nice and are often quite historic but they are challenging to walk on!! I couldn't believe it a couple of years ago when we were in Copenhagen and they were doing a huge street and sidewalk improvement. I was perplexed to see that they were replacing the cobblestones with....cobblestones!!:hissyfit:
 
Hi Kathy,

Not sure about the difference between stiffness and tightness, when my knee is in the normal upright position it feels "normal". If I move my knee inwards I feel it pulling slightly, and the same though not so pronounced when I move it outwards. Extending and flexing my leg from sitting is not so bad either, and the tight feeling is on the outside of the upper knee and nothing at all on the inside, so not sure of the cause, was thinking maybe some adhesions left there, but there is no expert around to ask really so just assuming that its something that hasn't quite settled itself yet, and maybe it never will. As I said there is no pain, so I can quite easily live with it.:thumb:

I hope that yours goes away soon, but my life is soooo much better after TKR that I don't want to sound as though I am complaining, just agreeing with you that the knee is still in charge and lets me know its still there. :biggrin:

Jo, I have been walking a bit lately and we live on quite a steep slope, and its the going down that I find the most difficult now and not the coming up. :scratch:
 
Hi Jo
I think you just had a bit of a "steep learning curve"! You were so sensible turning back and great no harm done. I bet you will be able to manage it soon as well as all those other hills on the horizon.
 
The tightness, tight band, and other miscellaneous pains will eventually go by the wayside for the most part. It could be a year or two before you get to the point that they are but a memory.

But....remember, the TKR only replaced the arthritic bones. All your soft tissues are still there just like a normal knee and they can suddenly give you a little pain if you work them in a way they aren't used to. But....this happens even without a knee replacement!
 
Barb - by the time your cruise is here in September you will be walking well I am sure - you have a good goal to head towards. Your comments on cobblestones made me laugh. In Exeter a couple of years ago they had all the pavements up around the cathedral and I was pleased as I thought the cobbles were on their way out. Oh no, they were all replaced :snork: Now I have my new knee I will not fear cobblestones the way I used to :wink1:

Diane - that incline will be my challenge for sure (I love a challenge :wink1:)

Dori - you are right about full steam ahead and I will have to reign myself in at times.

Aretha - dare I say it but my tightness has eased up the last few days :secretaea:
 
HI Jo,

It's a challenge when you get the wake up call that you are not quite ready for the terrain change. You are doing so well, that by 6 months, those steeper inclines will be no issue!

Yesterday I had a short walk up a steep incline then back down later. I took it slow and easy but the angle on my knee going up was tough. Glad I only go to that location once a year!

Be well and keep the faith!

Dawn
 
Thank you, Aretha and Jaimie :thumb:

Talking of inclines, I can go up much easier than coming down too. You would have thought it would be the other way round :scratch:

Kathy
xx
 
Thanks Dawn, wouldn't it be great to live in super flat counties!!! Much easier on the knees :thumb:

Kathy - before my op I was just the same as you - up easy - down a nightmare!! So, the other day it caught me out as it was the other way around??? Give your Yorkie a hug from me x
 
Your doing fabulous Jo, well done. You were brave to tackle the inlcine, I havent even tried yet, other than small slopes in the general area of going to the shops etc. I can finally walk done the stairs with no stiffness or tightness and that feels great. I have started going to the swimming pool twice a week and doing squats and leg lifts etc in there, so hopefully once I get the muscles toned up and less painful I will tackle inclines lol.
 
Hi Jo just attempting to catch up on your post. I am so pleased for you to be doing so well, I am a bit despondent just now as knee is very stiff and sore in the night. I thought that by 10 weeks it should have lost the tightness etc. hopefully if we can get together in August we can both walk our dogs along the beach. Keep up the good work, well done to you. Lv Hills xxx
 
Hilary , I am just three days in front of you and I am struggling with lack of sleep, every time I turn over my knee lets me know it's there. Am out walking but slowly and the tightness and stiffness is still there ...a lot! you're not alone!
 
Hi Jo ~

It's been awhile since I've been here with you, and it's great to hear that things are going quite well for you! I'm thrilled to hear that you're out and walking around...and...that you've learned one of the lessons that all of us have to learn! Take it easy...which you did by listening to your knee and turning back. Good for you! (Most of us would have contnued and regretted it later!)


One of the hardest things about recovery is that desire to get out and do things earlier than you should. There are things that I wanted so badly to be able to do again, in fact, I still find those things that I want to do, but can't. It's hard to hold back and wait. However, I've learned that it's best to take your time and not push too hard. You really do end up wishing you hadn't!

It's so good to hear that you're doing so well! I remember waiting with you while your surgery date was pushed back, and how you were getting nervous. Now, it's all over and you're moving ahead! That's just great! :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom