TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my walking partner Roxy :doggieshmooze:

What a BEAUTY!!!!! That's a really gorgeous photo with the green grass and leaves.....

As for those pains you're getting....it's really just part of recovery. It could be almost anything including a referred pain. But you have the right idea....if it comes and goes, it's not worth worrying about.
 
Love your walking partner I wish mine were calm like that so I could take them for a walk but I would not trade my hyper out of countrol pups for anything no matter how irritated they sometimes make me. They are like kids they know which buttons to push then they know how to look at me to get out of trouble. They just make my day. I am glad you are doing so good in your recovery.
 
You're doing great with the stairs, Jo. Well done, you :thumb: Glad that your mystery pain has eased up. I'm guessing all these unexplained niggly feelings will crop up every now and again.

To repeat what everyone else has said, Roxy is beautiful. We have a Yorkshire Terrier, Sasha. Though she's not the small breed, she's a medium size dog. She's lovely.

Carry on with the good work :wink1:

Kathy
xx
 
Thankyou to everyone for all your support and comments, I truly appreciate you all :thumb: This forum is the best :thumb:
 
A QUESTION ABOUT EXERCISE REGIME AFTER 10 WEEKS

I am interested to know what exercise regime all you experienced knee replacement folks maintain after 10 weeks. Do you still do all the exercises they sent you home with - rom work, extension work, knee strengthening, leg raises, bike etc ... I have read in the Total Knee Replacement book that they believe in doing certain exercises for the rest of your life but I wanted it from the horses mouth, so to speak. I feel as if I should plan a structured regime, if not I feel the exercise could be sidelined. I will always go on the bike as a matter of course but not sure about all the other stuff? All comments will be much appreciated :thumb:
 
Jo
I was sent home with a comprehensive book of exercises for all the stuff you have been doing up to now. My hospital recommends easing off the standard ROM stuff at about six weeks or as soon as normal daily life takes over. Instead they recommend two specific new exercises - stair lunges where you put the operated knee on the second step and lean into it and also stair stepping where you start with both feet on the first step and step down backwards with the non operated leg if that makes sense. They also say that we need to include regular exercise for the rest of our lives including walking and the bike - fixed or real.
This is what I did with the first knee and it's making very good progress at four and a half months. With the new knee I am still doing all the exercises because the pain in my knee cap is stopping me from walking longer distances at the moment. Aso I think it's good to keep doing the heel slides and extension stretches.
I hope that helps.
 
Jo - at 12 weeks I've pretty much given up the original exercises except for heel slides and leg lifts which have become routine while I'm watching TV. Instead I walk every day , aiming for about 45 minutes, and then use the stationery bike on alternate days and try to get swimming in as often as possible. I also need a routine or I won't keep it up so this works for me...:biggrin:
 
Do you still do all the exercises they sent you home with - rom work, extension work, knee strengthening, leg raises, bike etc ...

I had stairs in my garage that I would step up and lean into the knee to work on flexion. I also remembered laying on the bed with my foot hanging off the edge with an ankle weight wrapped around it to work on my extension. And I tried to increase my walking a little bit each week.
 
One thing I have found that I enjoy the most, and my knee feels the best, is water exercises.That is strange coming from someone who does not like being in a pool!!:scratch: I do stretches and walk, do side slides, grapevine, skip, hop, jump, walk backwards and move for one hour in the pool. I really have grown to love doing this. I do this twice a week. I ride a stationary bike every day for half an hour. :yes 4:
 
Randi, grapevine is a dance move where you cross one foot in front of the other, while moving sideways. :rolleyespink: Hope that makes some sense.
 
Very well explained Mimi :wink1: I would love to have access to a pool for your type of workout - it sounds fab!
 
A pool does sound lovely!! Jo, the one on the left is a HaviTzu ( havenese and shih tzu) her name is Zoey. The girl on the right ,is Ballerina, a Morkie, ( Maltese & Yorkshire terrier).
 
Randi, grapevine is a dance move where you cross one foot in front of the other, while moving sideways. :rolleyespink: Hope that makes some sense.

Thanks -I'm going right out to the pool to add that one to my routine !:wink1:
 
Oh yea, I remember the grapevine. That's a great move to do all the way down the length of the pool at the gym. I've got my gym bag all packed and I'm ready to go tomorrow. It's been so long, I'm feeling like a newbie but it'll come back to me, once I get in that water.

Thanks!:dancy:

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
It cetainly will Dori, its the best exercise and I go to aqua 3/4 times a week where all the exercises mentioned are part of the routine to loud music, mainly Abba and Queen, and we all sing along for the hour too:biggrin:

Then I like to just swim for about half an hour to wind down, I find I can still breastroke, even though my OS told me that I probably would just have to kick my back legs as it wasn't always possible to do "frog" legs. I guess I am just lucky!!

Anyway I don't have a dog to walk (boo-hoo) after having 4 all at the same time, and all big dogs, when the last one died we were so upset we said that we couldn't go through that again, and so far have resisted the urge to get another rescue dog, but we are definitely coming round to it, so watch this space. When the current house renovations are complete, will be the best time.

Take care ladies - enjoy the water!!:friends:
 
Aretha - are you sure you want to get another pup AFTER the renovations??? :snork::doggieshmooze:

BTW - Tried the grapevine - fun !:yahoo:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom