TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup - The tylenol/advil combo really works, as does the recognition that the tight band feeling is a kind of pain ---took me a long time to get this through my noggin !:DOH: But at 10 weeks I am starting to have days when I don't need either pain medication or ice at all and very little tightening. Nice ! For anyone who has access i absolutely recommend getting into warm water as early as possible. Here in Florida folks get in the pool as soon as their staples are out and many seem to recover very quickly.
 
Hi Jo, congrats on your progress, but as Jamie suggests, take it easy, ease into the recovery. You are doing so well, just stay on that trajectory that got you where you are. It's really easy to do too much when feeling good and then bam, you have a little setback.

Take care

Dawn
 
Josephine, thanks for that link. I feel better now I understand what it is and will start again with some medication.

Thanks to everyone for the feed back. I think many of you are right and that I have started to do too much as I am feeling more mobile. I shall now scale it down again and make sure I rest. It is difficult finding that balance. I have to be strict with myself as I find it hard to sit still and having spent the last few weeks resting, I have been enjoying this new found level of activity. As everyone states 'the knee is in charge!'.
 
Hi Jo,

I understand. I find myself doing too much sometimes. I will get all my "stuff" gathered so that I can sit and relax and as soon as I sit down I will remember that I forgot something and have to get up again. When I move around too much, my knee lets me know. Also, when I wake up each morning, my knee feels pretty good, like it is still asleep. Then after moving around for an hour or so, it wakes up and begins to tighten and ache so I lie back down and ice and elevate. This is quite a journey we're on, isn't it!:friends:

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
We'll all get there, I'm sure! I seem to recall surgeon telling me when I was to decide if I wanted this that 90% of patients in the first 3 months wished they'd never had it done! Not quite that bad but not worth it yet!!
 
It helps so much to know that we are not alone in our suffering!!

And I believe that this too shall pass and we will get on the other side of this discomfort.

Dori
 
Yes, it is good to know we are all feeling the same and we all have our ups and downs together :thumb::thumb::thumb:
 
Dori, I have the oppositeto you. when I wake in the morning my whole leg is stiff and I have to do a few heel slides to loosen it off enough to get up!
 
What a relief to hear that 90% of patients in first 3 months wish they had not done it. I'm SO THERE! Trying to stay patient but not easy.
 
My surgeon stopped seeing his 6 weeks review because the patients were so full of the miseries it was difficult for him to really assess their progress - least that was his story though he said it with a wry wink! So their first post-op appointment with him is at 12 weeks. Later I did get him to admit that he does this because there was little or nothing he could do for them as they went through this fairly inevitable phase.
 
Thanks Jo.

I guess thats why my OS didn't see me at my 6 week check, and I saw the physio chief instead, who told me that I was doing OK and didn't need to come back again, just carry on healing. Have seen no-one since then, and have managed just fine.

Guess I would have had a few gripes if he had been there, so clever man!!:thumb:
 
I have my first appointment with my surgeon this Thursday - 8 weeks. If I had seen him any earlier I would have had a few moans and groans; that is for sure :th_heehee:
 
My surgeon sees folks at 2 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months - guess he's particularly brave !
 
7 1/2 week update

My knee has been feeling really good the last couple of days and that does tend to make me smile as I am using it a lot more these days :biggrin: . I had physio yesterday and he was pleased with my progress and my numbers were good. We spent some time working on my gait as I am determined not to limp. We used a mirror and that was so useful for me - I do not have a full length mirror at home, so I can see a purchase coming on :thumb:. He is happy for me to ditch all walking aids around the house and small trips anywhere but take one crutch if I do a long walk - so I am happy lady :yahoo:.

I am seeing my OS on Thursday for my 8 week check up and I am so pleased that I will be able to walk into his office unaided. A few weeks ago I honestly thought I would still be on crutches - it just goes to show how quickly we can progress. So all you folks that are new into this recovery take note - we all get there in the end :yahoo:.
 
I have my first appointment with my surgeon this Thursday - 8 weeks. If I had seen him any earlier I would have had a few moans and groans; that is for sure :th_heehee:

Lol! I saw my surgeon at 6 weeks and when I was taken back into the patient room, I got really relaxed stretched out on the patient table and almost fell asleep. When the OS walked in he asked if he should come back later. :th_heehee: It was very tiring riding an hour to and from the clinic and sitting in the waiting room until the nurse called me back. :sleep:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom