Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou all again for your support, I really do appreciate it.

Mimi and Claudia - yes, it is the most awful pain I have ever endured. My GP said they don't really know why some people get this or why it is triggered off. I googled it and it seems that he is right but I noticed that stress/anxiety could be a cause (one of the theories). Interesting though as it started a couple of weeks before my op. I thought is was a problem with my tooth filling I'd had as the pain was on the top of my gum and in my jaw. Got it all checked out by my dentist and he gave me the all clear. You think he might of mentioned Neuralgia??? I am being treated with a pain medication that I have never heard of - in fact it was an antidepressant drug but they no longer use it for that. It seems to be working for me as the pain has really subsided now. I have to take them for 2 weeks and then go back to see my GP. I hope it is just a one off due to the stress I had before the op; fingers crossed.

I may speak to my Chiropractor about it as it is nerve issue and he is so knowledgeable about everything that happens to our bodies.

Mimi, I read that you can get it with shingles - not nice!!

Anyway, here is to a better day but having said that I have managed to pick up a cold - as they say 'when it rains it pours'.
 
Jo - I went through a year of jaw, tooth and ear pain with all kinds of mis-diagnoses. For me, it finally did turn out to be a series of dental issues - which finally was discovered 2 months before my TKR so it became a race to finish all the procedures...and it finally has subsided. I do hope your doc got it right but if it persists after the drugs don't back down from finding the cause. Meanwhile, lots of hugs and chicken soup for now !:grouphug2:
 
I have had a really good couple of days with my knee and I am feeling very pleased with myself. I have been using my bike for a few days now, going backwards and forwards but this morning I went all the way around :thumb: I took me by surprise - it just happened. When I woke up today I had a good feeling about my knee as it felt quite loose and my ROM had improved since yesterday. So, the bike confirmed this good feeling. I hope it will still be the same when I get on the bike later.

I am now going up stairs like a normal person. I have't tried going down yet - a task for tomorrow I think :what: I love the fact my knee is beginning to feel part of me - so exciting!!!!

The pain I had in my face has gone, thanks to the medication but I have such a nasty sore throat. I can live with that :thumb:
 
Hi Jo,

So happy that things are really going well for you, and so early on too!! It took me forever to go right the way round on the bike, but I can remember the sense of achievement when it actually happened.

The same with going upstairs, and coming downstairs is an even bigger achievement, and one day when we were in the town centre and came down some really wide steps around the Guildhall there, my husband commented that I had actually come down the steps without reaching for the rail to hold on to, and all without even thinking about it! That's when I felt that it had all been worthwhile, and my recovery could only be on the up from there on in!:yahoo:

Hope things continue in the same vein, but be prepared for setbacks, they do happen sometimes, and just when you think your knee is better, it throws a wobbly to remind you that it is in charge, and not you! :th_heehee:

Hope you go from strength to strength from here on in. :friends:
 
Oh Jo, this is a fabulous report! I have been concerned about how to begin riding the stationary bike and you are already doing it! Do you have a recumbant or upright bike? Either way, cngratulations! And congratulations on your progress on the stairs as well!

I am so glad the pain in your jaw is better.

Dori
 
Like you say, Jo, if you don't come on for a couple of days, you miss such a lot. And of course I didn't see until now that you have been poorly with your jaw, poor you.

It's good to read that the pain has eased. And my how good does your knee sound now :wink1: That's brilliant :biggrin: Long may it contine that way.

Kathy
xx
 
I have had a really good couple of days with my knee and I am feeling very pleased with myself. I have been using my bike for a few days now, going backwards and forwards but this morning I went all the way around :thumb: I took me by surprise - it just happened.

I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face because I know what a milestone that is!
[Bonesmart.org] Jo has a new knee
I am so very proud of you! [Bonesmart.org] Jo has a new knee You must be on
[Bonesmart.org] Jo has a new knee
after experiencing painful neuralgia. You'll find yourself getting stronger, quicker, now that you are able to complete a full rotation on the bike.
[Bonesmart.org] Jo has a new knee
Those stairs don't stand a chance against you now!
 
I agree Jo, you seem to be recovering so well, and remain bright and cheerful throughout.

Hope you continue in the same vein, and everything goes well for you.

Keep posting! :friends:
 
I am 7 weeks today  and I feel everything is going well but I have a couple of questions for my Bonesmart buddies.

I have noticed that after I have used the exercise bike I get a pain on the outside of my leg (I assume the shin area) that hangs around - any ideas?? Should I still use the bike twice a day?

When does that tight band feeling leave?? (A million dollar question I bet!)

When I have finished the ROM exercises the tight feeling loosens up but within minutes of walking it comes back - is that normal for everyone?

The only time the tight band feeling is completely gone is first thing in the morning when I get out of bed and walk. By the time I have been to the bathroom and put my dressing gown on the tight feeling is back. What causes it and what is it??

I assume because my activity level has risen I will get niggles from muscles and ligaments. I don't like the shin niggle :sigh:

To finish on a good note - I took Roxy out for a walk today and it felt great to be out with her again. I got the vacuum cleaner out this morning but i'll be keeping that one quiet from my husband as I'm more than happy for him to do it from time to time :th_heehee:
 
Some time ago I had pain in my jaw. Thought it was dental but despite replacing a couple of fillings it wasn t. To gave me acupuncturewhich to ky surprise helped. Also had +amitriptyline. Didn't t help the pain but helped me sleep. It went away the same way it came....for no reason that I ever found out. Hope you re feeling better
 
Hi Nancy

Thanks for your feedback. I am taking the same medication and it made the pain disappear, thankfully! Interesting that you say the pain went as quick as it came - hope that is the same for me. I do feel much better, thanks.
 
When does that tight band feeling leave?? (A million dollar question I bet!)

When I have finished the ROM exercises the tight feeling loosens up but within minutes of walking it comes back - is that normal for everyone?
Maybe do lots of ROM exercises a day, just 1 minute or so each time. Same for extension.

The tight feeling has gradually faded for me, and I'm sure the exercises help.
 
That sounds like major progress Jo. The tight band in my first right knee didn't go till about 10 weeks, but it has almost gone already in the new left knee which is six weeks today - as always every knee is different!
 
Jo, I know you've read it before here, but I do need to remind you that you are still very early in recovery. You are going to have pains here and there (including the tight band feeling) for a while. It could come and go throughout the next 6 months to a year.

But since you are only 7 weeks out and are having pain like this, I suggest that you do cut back on your activity. My guess is you're doing more than you think (vacuuming???!!!). The truth-teller is your statement that things feel pretty good when you get out of bed in the monrning, but the pain returns fairly soon after walking around. That tells me you need more rest/ice/elevate time each day.
 
Hi Jo, the tight rubber bands seem to go away and then come back. I noticed them a couple of days ago again. When I get out of bed in the morning I find it hard to weight bear, after shower and exercises I'm ok. So all takes time, as we're told and told and told and told ...... but I don't think we want to hear, we just want to be fully functional.

Hope you're feeling better after the awful trouble with your jaw and then getting a cold. Yikes, you poor girl.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom