TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been out of the loop for a few days as I haven't felt very well. I have had the most awful pain in my lower jaw, ears and teeth. I really have never experienced pain like it in my life and I could not function at any level. I went to my GP yesterday he diagnosed neuralgia and I am on medication to control the pain. Today it has eased up and is manageable thank goodness. I have to go back and see him in two weeks to discuss how it's going. I said to him I have just gone through a knee replacement and endured pain but this pain is off the scale.

As for my knee, that is doing great and I am six weeks today :yahoo: I had a physio session at the beginning of the week and he was really pleased with me in all aspects. Extension and ROM have improved. I went on the bike and he showed me about setting the saddle for the bike I have at home. It felt good to be on the bike even though I didn't do a full revolution but not far off. I am walking about the house unaided but use the crutches when I am anywhere outside. When people see them they do tend to give me a wide berth, which I think is a good idea at the moment. I have been food shopping with my husband and coped with all that easily. I have been cleared for driving but haven't ventured out yet. The way I have felt the last few days - there is no way I have been interested in going out :rolleyespink: .


I shall have to spend a few hours on here catching up with everyone. It's amazing if you miss a couple of days you miss out on so much and lots of new names have appeared!!

I hope all my buddies are doing well with their new knees :thumb:
 
Gosh Jo, you'd think a knee would be enough.:sigh: So sorry to hear about jaw pain :cry:--but sure glad to hear the medication is working for you.

You're doing so well with your new knee---but there always seem to be pitfalls to get over with such a long recovery.:hissyfit:

Keep us posted. We care.:cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy
 
Hi Jo
What rotten luck. You certainly could do without another problem. I hope the medication kicks in quickly and gives your jaw some relief. Well done on the knee progress at least that's all good!
If it's any consolation I have been feeling a bit grim for the last couple of days - I think the UTI might have returned and I'm contemplating starting my spare pack of antibiotics tonight to knock it on the head. It really isn't great is it having to cope with more than the knee. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
Thankyou ladies for your good wishes.

Diane, It is really horrible having something other than the knee to deal with. I think we are entitled to feel sorry for ourselves :console:. I hope your UTI can be sorted out soon - take care.
 
Hi Jo,

I was wondering where you were the last couple of days. Gosh, I'm so sorry you have so much pain in your jaw. I hope it gets better soon. On a much brighter note, you seem to be doing very well with your knee recovery. Try to focus on that!:thumb:

Dori
 
A while ago a GP here gave me acupuncture for jaw pain, not as bad as yours but it did work! Hope you're better soon
 
Hey Jo, I'm glad you are better too! A TKR (or two!) are plenty to cope with and we need nothing else to complicate our lives at this point. Good luck with your jaw pain and keep up the great work on your knee!:thumb:
Lilly
RTKR
Jan. 9, 2012
 
Hi, Jo -

So sorry to hear about your jaw pain! I hope the medications help. It sounds like your knee is doing very well, however. It's strange when you have something else that happens while you are recovering that completely overshadows the knee replacement. The most miserable day of my first recovery had to do with severe constipation, not the knee.

I'm counting down now, less than four days away from "Buzz". I've been working at home because so many people are sick at work, including my boss, who has pneumonia! I can relate to Diane on the UTI issue, because I flunked my pre-op urine test (again) and had to take Bactrim for three days.

Here's an interesting theory from my GP - she is of the opinion that the bacteria in the genito-urinary track changes for women as they age and, unfortunately, normal bacteria will trigger the UTI bells and whistles. I have never had any other symptoms of a UTI, I do properly shower regularly and maintain excellent hygiene :biggrin:, yet I can't pass a urine test. Hope I wasn't too graphic with this.
 
Jo,

Sorry to hear about the jaw pain. But things on the knee front sound lie they are going great. Hope you are feeling better very soon. Have missed you here for the last few days.
 
Hi Jo, I too have missed seeing your posts.

I hope the jaw pain is only a fleeting problem, its so hard to cope with the knee getting better, that any more complications seem to be off the scale especially as you say it was even more painful!!:cry4:

You will feel a whole lot better when you get your stamina back, and venture out in your car. It made me feel so much more positive, and not to be reliant on other people was the greatest booster.

Tonight I am suffering with a whole lot of stiffness in my knee, can't say its painful but it is worrying me some. I have had a back ache for a few days, and a feeling of weakness in my upper thigh area, and was taking it easy, then tonight hit with this real stiffness. Can't think of an obvious reason for it, so taking some Paracetamol and going to bed to try to relieve it a bit. This stiffness seems to be getting worse just lately, just when I thought I was through the worst, my knee comes back to bite me again!!!:hairpulling: Does anyone know why this happens, I am nearly 17 months post TKR and have no obvious pain but this feeling of real tightness in my knee especially on the top,. round the outside and some tenderness underneath the knee. I can move it OK, but just would like to know that it is fine. It can't still be healing after all this time...... can it???:scratch:

Anyway, Jo, its lovely to hear that you are doing so well with yours, and keep up the good work and I am sure your recovery will continue in the samevein. Hope the jaw pain disappears as fast as it came!:friends:
 
Hi Jo and great to hear from you! Nice news on the knee, once you can start using the bike you will feel great! That's the place I feel the best.

Hope your jaw pain resolves soon, sounded pretty awful! I have a had an awful cold all week and stayed home from work they last few days. This is the first year I didnt get a flu shy, go figure!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Thankyou all for your kind words :thumb:

Barb, I thought of you today and did remember that you are having Buzz installed next week - that time has gone so fast (maybe not for you). You are very wise staying at home with bugs circulating in the office. Keep healthy!!

Aretha, I hope you get some relief soon with your back and knee. Have you seen anyway about your back? Maybe your back issue is causing the knee problems - just a thought. Get better soon.
 
Jo, So sorry to hear that you are having to deal with other issues on top of the knee. Here's hoping that your jaw continues to improve!

Sounds like your knee is doing really great. I can't believe you've gone grocery shopping at only 6 weeks out. At 5 months out grocery shopping still does a number on me! :snork:
Niki
 
Jo so glad to hear of your steady progress with your knee. I hope when I have to have my second TKR that I have a recovery like yours!

Sorry that you have to deal with neuralgia . I had it following shingles in my eyes and it is not fun at all:hairpulling: How do they treat it in the UK?

Take care and good luck with the driving!:thumb:
 
Glad to hear that the neuralgia pain is getting under control, and that you're progressing so nicely with the TKR. My orthopedic surgeon gave me the ok this week to "throw away" my walker and cane, but don't know if I have the confidence and endurance to do that outside the home. My PT will help me decide.
 
Hi Jo, just looked up neuralgia as I has not heard of it. Oh my goodness, it sounds horrible and so glad you are getting relief from the pain. Does doctor think it could have been triggered in any way by the tkr?

So happy for the progress with your knee and getting your wheels back. I'm still looking forward to that (as is my husband). I can imagine it will be a bit scary the first time you go solo, but it's definitely a huge step in getting your life back. Keep us posted on how you are feeling.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom