TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nurse who took my staples out told me to start massaging moisturiser in after a few days, once the staple holes had healed. She also told me to really massage hard on the scar. I did and most of my scar is quite thin and pale now. Although maybe it was going to be anyway.

I think Josephine said she didn't think it would make much difference but I might be remembering wrong.
 
I am feeling quite pleased with myself this afternoon, so I thought I would share.

I managed to walk with one crutch after my exercises this morning. I wouldn't say I was bounding around but I was careful and delibrate. It felt strange but good at the same time. I am going to physio tomorrow so I will check that I can practice. What I don't want is to have a lopsided stoop going on at this stage, something I notice with people that start on one crutch too soon. I was pleased that I could do it though - I hate something beating me!!!

Today I have made my first meal in 4 and a bit weeks :yay:. My husband went for a long walk with our dog (via the pub I think :skeptical:) and I thought I would surprise him with a lamb curry. It was hard work standing for a period of time but I kept taking breaks and I managed to get it made. It is cooking away nicely for this evening. He was really shocked and very pleased when he got back. I am definately in his good books today :wink1:.

Just hope that our cricket boys can do something tomorrow to make amends but that might be wishful thinking :umm:
 
Lovely to hear about all the older folks doing so well -I work with older adults and love them -but just like us younger oldies not all are quite so wonderfully positive:rolleyespink: ...

As for the scar-I was also told to massage gently and rub simple oils -I use baby oil and massage the scar several times a day -so far, it feels good...
 
Aah, that's excellent news, Jo. Well done you on both the one crutch and the making of the curry. What a lovely surprise for your hubbie. Just shows you are getting there.

Kathy
x
 
Hi Jo
Well done. Excellent progress! I think our posts might have crossed on my thread. I mentioned we used to stay in a caravan near Ashburton. It was on a farm near Rattery. We loved the area. Also spent happy times in a cottage in Southpool the other side of Kingsbridge when the children were small.
 
I think Josephine said she didn't think it would make much difference but I might be remembering wrong.
You remember correctly, Deeden. The scar would have ended up like that if you had never touched it at all. But it does help people get over feeling leery about touching their scar. :wink1:
 
Morning Jo (well it is in NZ)

Doesn't it feel great to tick another couple of milestones off. Going to one crutch makes it so much easier to do things, but as you say you have to be careful to walk upright. Well done.
 
Jo congratulations on the one crutch and the cooking! You really sound like you are doing remarkably well in your recovery. I know that the first time I made a dinner after surgery I felt so proud of myself, it was really a big step, exhausting yes, but gratifying. Keep up the good work, you are doing awesome...tomorrow you are one month post op! My how time flies!! :yay:
 
Happy one month anniversary Jo, you are going great guns too. I think I was about 4 weeks when I started cooking etc. and it is the standing in one place that kills you. Have a stool close to the worktop and keep resting on it if possible. My OS said that standing in one place was one of the things to avoid so I did. Even now 16 months on, I find I don't like standing for long, walking is no problem though, and I am even swimming and using breast stroke which I was told I could never do again. Bull......, you can if you take it easy step by step, and it feels good to!!

Keep up the steady slow progress so as not to set yourself back at all Jo, its all to easy to think you are there, only to find sometimes you can do too much, and set yourself back a little.

I am sure you will have a speedier recovery at the steady rate you are going.
Take care Jo.:friends:
 
Hi Jo,

I'm just hearing about your lamb curry and singular crutch. I can imagine how proud and grateful you feel about the wonderful progress you are making. That's great! Keep up the good work and here's wishing you a wonderful week.!

Dori
 
Great accomplishment jazyb!
 
Hi Jo and congrats! It's got to be a good feeling getting to one crutch and cooking. I love to cook and missed it so much in the beginning.

Even though I have had a few rough days, on Sunday I did manage to make a wonderful corn chowder and banana cake with cream cheese frosting, all from scratch. My family went crazy for it, even though there was at least a 100 calories in each spoonful 8-)

Take care,

Dawn
 
Jo you are progressing so well, great job. Cooking is a major milestone in recovery. And sounds like you have accomplished it:thumb:

Dawn that cake sounds so yummy, worth every calorie!


I never touched my scar and never rubbed anything into it. Five inches of the scar are almost invisible. You have to really look close for it. Then 2 inches on top, where I had the infection, are pink and wider. Then there is another inch or so beyond that that is nearly invisible. Considering the infection and swelling, I am happy with my scar.:yes 4:
 
Dawn - Glad to read that you were up to cooking and that cake sounds so good - my mouth is watering. I hope you have a better week.

Mimi - There seems to be lots of different ideas on looking after the scar. Part of mine sounds very much like yours, part of it is invisible - I am really pleased how it's looking.
 
HHi Jo. I have just been reading all of your thread, and you are doing well too it seems, I can just about walk from the lounge to the kitchen without anything, but I am afraid I should not be doing it yet, so only do it occasionally, I too am going to physio this week, and will double check with them. I know Ashburton, we have a caravan in Stokenham, near Kingsbridge, maybe in the Summer we could meet somewhere for coffee and compare scars!!!?? It seems that everyone has their own timescale for healing, but having said that my leg was actually painfull last night, not just the ache real pain, and my Dr. has changed me to Tramadol, and of course I was sure that it wasn't working, but I took another dose today and now it seems to be better. Just off to have a shower and wash my hair myself for the first time since the op, actually a bit scared but I have a bar on the wall near the shower to hold on, and a bath bench to sit on, so will prob be ok. No one home at the moment, so will take the mobile in with me just in case I slip, and I have a dear friend coming to stay today for 3 days to catch up on washing, ironing etc. although I have been loading the machine and with the help of a crutch, managed to get the washing basket upstairs to he dryer. Take care and keep in touch. Lots of love Hills xxxx
 
Hills, you naughty girl, you shouldn't be carrying your washing basket upstairs, leave it for Graham, and nag him if he doesn't take it up!! Please be careful and let it sit on the floor in the hall (preferably where he will fall over it when he comes in) and he will have to move it then.:th_heehee:

Has mummy gone home now, how will you cope without her (ha-ha). I am still laughing about the way she was trying to keep up with our conservation when I was up with Pauline, bless her. I bet some of it was a real revelation to her no doubt.

You sound cheerful enough Hills, so not worrying about you but I am at the end of the phone should you need to talk.

Lots of love xx:friends:
 
Hilary!
[Bonesmart.org] Jo has a new knee
[Bonesmart.org] Jo has a new knee
NO laundry! You should be doing nothing but resting.
my Dr. has changed me to Tramadol, and of course I was sure that it wasn't working, but I took another dose today and now it seems to be better
:yes 4: But take two paracetamol with each dose of Tramadol. It works ever so much better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom