TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bev - that is so true, you get to a point where never want to mention knees again! I posted a while ago that I'd spent a couple of hours with a good friend who'd been a great support through my 2 tkrs and on this occasion we talked about anything and everything EXCEPT my knees! I was so relieved that the whole subject was finally fading into the background! Hope you get to this point too!
 
But as I understand it, those early weeks are hard for concentration with fatigue thrown in. So maybe I won't get as much done as I thought?

I think it is best to plan on that! In the early days it is difficult to concentrate or focus. I am a big reader and wasn't able to read anything more in depth than the internet for a month! It can be very frustrating if you let it. I had a DVR full of shows and several DVDs that I haven't seen yet and even with that, mindless daytime TV was often as much as I could handle. It does pass, I promise! :friends:
 
Thanks ladies, as always I appreciate all your helpful comments. I have felt very fed up today and have that feeling of wishing the days would pass super fast. I wish I could do a Samantha in Bewitched :wink1: I had a little discomfort at the side of my knee this morning and that set me off on a miserable start. As the day progressed it has eased off and I feel in a slightly better mood. I had a lovely sleep this afternoon - out for the count, so I think that has helped.

Reading what you said made me laugh Kat, as I too love to read, I had recorded so many films/programmes, DVD's to watch and I have absolutely no interest in any of them. It's so weird :what:
 
Hi Jo
It's still early days for you and me. I get fed up too when my knee starts hurting. For the last two days it has felt stiff and sore and really aches when I do my heel slides. I just have to tell myself it's all part of the process and things will get better! I'm now sat fairly comfortably on the sofa with a glass of wine about to watch an episode of the Sopranos with my son. Things could be worse!
Hope you have a better day tomorrow
 
Jo, Diney, oh yes it's interminable isn't it? But think back to the first few days -- they too were interminable, yet now all run together. Relax, take it easy, watch telly, this too will pass away...
 
Hi Jo

I couldn't focus on anything much for first 6 weeks, then all of a sudden I can. So hang in there, the blues do go away.

Take care
 
Thanks Diane and Roy.

Diane, I'm glad it's not just me that gets miserable. My heel slides have been sore today too! The glass of wine sounds a good idea :wink1:
 
Thanks Margaret, I guess just a couple of bad days for me. I spoke to my friend tonight that is a nurse and she gave me a good pep talk and also had me in fits of laughter - definately needed that!
 
Friends visiting or calling for short periods is great. I found it makes me focus on something other than my knee for a while. One friend turned up at New Year with a massive Pavlova, fruit and fresh cream and a tub of ice cream. Now that was decadent!
 
Today at the hospital, the physcian's assistant demonstrated heel slides using a rolling chair. I may try that tomorrow.

I'd enjoy a glass of wine but was told no alcohol with this percocet. ??

Also Jo, I understand. My knee was really sore in one spot a couple of days ago. I chalked it up to an area of inflammation and part of this healing process. It takes a lot of Patience, doesn't it!
 
I had big plans as well after TKR, being home for several months, so much time to do simple things around the house, cleaning out my desk, a cupboard or closet, or just reading and watching TV. What I didn't realize was how fatigued I would be. I found myself laying on the couch for hours not focused on anything at all. I started feeling depressed too, as it was beautiful Spring weather and I saw the world going by without me. I was slow with my ROM and I would read how others were way ahead of me who had their surgery after me. That made me feel like a failure, like I was not trying hard enough. Of course everyone was telling me not to worry, people on here, at PT, the doctor, everyone, but was just hard sometimes to believe it. The highlight of my day was when I could go to PT because then I was out into the world again. It is amazing how quickly time passes, and soon Jo you will feel the same way too, for now I think back to those days of having nothing to do but lay on the couch and heal and I wish I had a few of those days back again. Back in the real world now, sometimes there is no time to rest and always much to do. Even now I do need to put my feet up and rest but sometimes there is not enough time in the day. So please be patient and don't get discouraged. It will all come together and you will look back and see that time did pass rather quickly and you will be busy again, and wishing for the rest time. Take care...:doggieshmooze::doggieshmooze::doggieshmooze:
 
Jo, I remember the times that I tried to watch telly, especially through the night when sleep avoided me for weeks, and I don't think I ever managed to watch a complete film, etc. as somewhere in the middle to end of a programme I would drop off and wake and realise that I had lost the plot literally!!! This happened so many times, that I was then dependant on taping everything just in case I fell asleep, then in the day I would catch up on bits I had missed.:th_heehee:

Friends visiting were a big bonus, Hills and my friend Pauline came to visit bringing lunch and cake and we talked nine to the dozen as per usual, my hubby would just leave us to it, and several hours later when they left, I would realise that I had forgotten all about my knee whilst they were there. Good time wasters, and all part of a good recovery process.

Hope things go well for you. Take care :friends:
 
I surely do agree that a spirited conversation with a friend is a great way to make time fly. Surprisingly, I was able to read a little bit on my kindle today. I hadn't had any interest in reading before that, except for the Sunday newspaper.
 
Well today was a better day :thumb: I had a trip out in the car (hubby drove) and enjoyed a drive over to my see my Mum. It was lovely to see her and enjoy the afternoon having a cuppa and a good old natter, although hubby was a little bored and had a snooze! I was able to have a good walk to get to her apartment, so it felt good to stretch my legs and walk.

My knee coped well with the extra activity today, it had a tad more swelling than normal and I was still able to do my exercises tonight - so all good on that front.

A far more positive day!

Bonnie - reading your post - it was as if I was reading about myself; I can completely relate to everything you said. It's good to know it's normal to have all those feelings.

Aretha - I must be coming out the fog as I feel I want to be around people again. Hopefully, some friends are popping around at the weekend and I am actually looking forward to it.

Dori - my kindle is charged up and ready to go but I still can't muster the energy for that!

Kathy - I loved that show and still watch it on the TV if I see it on :th_heehee:
 
Hi Jo
It's still early days for you and me. I get fed up too when my knee starts hurting. For the last two days it has felt stiff and sore and really aches when I do my heel slides. I just have to tell myself it's all part of the process and things will get better! I'm now sat fairly comfortably on the sofa with a glass of wine about to watch an episode of the Sopranos with my son. Things could be worse!
Hope you have a better day tomorrow

I certainly can relate and remember----At about this time in my recovery, I began to feel antsy and impatient---I felt that I had taken enough time to recover---and didn't realize how much longer that I had to go.

Just keep on keepin' on---hang in there---you are doing fine and are moving forward!
 
If your heelslides are sore, stop doing them for a day or two. It won't hurt (your flexion!)
 
Hi, Jo - it sounds like things are going even better. You should have sent your hubby out for a pint (except he was driving - oops).

Cherish your Mom - mine passed five years ago. We fought like cats and dogs but I would give anything to see her again for a few minutes (hopefully, I will someday).
 
Jo, I remember how it seemed I turned a corner at 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and finally 6 months. The first month was spent just trying to build up my strength and endurance. I remember feeling alot better after the first month but I also remember that I had difficulty with reading and comprehension so I spent alot of time watching mindless tv in between the naps. As I turned the corner at 6 weeks I was able to focus better but I also remember being more emotional and would often react accordingly. I remained that way for 9 months or so. I remember my OS telling me that younger TKA patients feel more pain and are emotional than the older patients and in my case, he was right.

So when you are feeling blue or frustrated, know that you are not alone. :console:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom