THR Jetlag's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kevin, been thinking about you! Thanks for the update. Sounds like #2 is behaving like a "normal" THR while #1 was a super hero!

Just remember (as if you would forget :DOH:) you had two major surgeries fairly close together. Big time recovery mode for your body.

The good news is you can sleep! Enjoy it and don't worry about how much sleep you need. For now - it's prescribed!
 
Thanks Jaycey. I should have clarified - while I may be in bed for 9-10 hours, I'm probably actually sleeping 6. I know every every all-night talk radio host on the dial now.
 
Hello Kevin,

I have admiration for everyone who's had both their hips done so closely like you and some others plus the bilateral gang! Double healing, therapy and challenges. Glad your first hip has gone so well and hopefully the 2nd will get easier soon, sorry it's been more painful.

Hope you are camped in watching the baseball game this afternoon! Go Rangers :)

Be good to yourself!

xxooxx
 
Glad you are coming along, hope you don't have any setbacks or any more joints to replace.
 
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the update, tho I'm sorry to hear that #2 is giving you difficulty. As Z said, must have something to do with the already low reserves going into it. I can totally understand not having the energy to post, pain - whether mild or severe - is a tremendous drain. The whole thing is such a tremendous drain! After the first couple of weeks I thought that the "Recovery chart" was a bit pessimistic and exaggerated (Sorry, Josephine!), but now coming into the three month mark I really am seeing a significant uptick in my energy level in the last week or so. And, of course, you will get there my friend. Hoping you are finding many good ways of entertaining yourself.
Anita
PS - So was Z's "crazy Kevin" pilot you?
 
Keven glad to here you are doing well. Staying awake is a pain in the Hip. Usually around 5 in the morning I am awake and the hip is talking. About 7 hours after I get in bed. give or take a half hour.
Keep up the Struggle. The end is Near.














The end of the recovery that is!
 
So given what you know now.
Would you have still done it the same way, or spread out the surgeries more or done a bilateral all at once?

My other hip is perfect, I am just interested in your take.
 
A 6 hour stretch of sleep is great Kevin. At least you aren't fighting it!
 
So given what you know now.
Would you have still done it the same way, or spread out the surgeries more or done a bilateral all at once?

My other hip is perfect, I am just interested in your take.
I too Would like to Know Kevin. I have the Call in to the OS to Respectfully request a new decision for my right hip.
 
I too will have to have hip two done sometime.. At first I thought I would go for it at the three month mark, then the six month mark.... but now, as it is not hurting I am starting to think that I will wait close to a year if I can to allow full recovery on the first hip.

A couple of my friends here in OZ are about to launch into the second surgery and they have had at least 12 months and say that they feel strong and fitter and ready..

But we are all in different situations and different levels of pain and immobility.. So it really is an individual decision isn't it?
 
Several of you have asked a good question about the timing decision of the 2nd hip surgery. While I'm sure each of our situations is different, here's my thoughts ------

First of all, I had the same question before my 2nd THR, since my 1st recovery was going well, and I really didn't have much pain in the 2nd hip. The x-rays and my very limited range of motion indicated that it was just a matter of time before #2 would need to be done.

I questioned the OS about him wanting to do them 8 weeks apart - when I thought waiting a year or so might be more appropriate. He responded that the final decision was certainly mine, but that delaying it would cause my first hip to compensate for the bad 2nd hip, and therefore #1 and my pelvis would not properly heal. Because of this new compensation by hip #1, when I finally DID have #2 done a year or so down the road, then IT would not heal as well since #1 was already "set".

It crossed my mind that asking an OS if you need surgery is kind of like asking a barber if you need a haircut, but his explanation convinced me to go ahead and have them done 8 weeks apart. Besides that, the timing was good for for me personally - I would rather be recovering in the winter than in our precious short summers here in Chicago.

JohninSeattle - there is no way that I would have wanted to do them at the same time - I can't imagine not having a good leg to rely on during recovery & rehab.

Also - I am doing considerably better the last 3 days since the PT I go to gave me some excellent tips for reducing my pain at night. She thinks it's coming from my back, so to refrain from sitting on my sofa (low, soft & deep), and knock on wood, I think it's making a difference.

Jaycey - still not sleeping well but not due to pain. That 6 hours I mentioned was in 4-5 segments.

So ... to all of you who inquired, I have no regrets now about having them done 8 weeks apart, and feel kind of good mentally knowing that the surgeries and initial recoveries are all behind me now, and I'm looking forward to getting outside this spring for yardward, biking, kayaking, etc. Now if I could just make some progress on that 15 lbs I should lose, I suspect my back & hips would feel even better.

Brief change of topic - I was thinking about this forum yesterday and how great it is to have a community of on-line friends to whom we can all share our challenges & successes. Probably none of us will ever meet, but we've sure been a help to each other. Lucky for us we all waited until the internet and this forum existed - people before us had to go thru all of this with less help. I guess this paragraph is my corny way of saying thanks to everyone out there in BoneSmart land. :thumb:

Kevin
 
Kevin,

I'm happy for you that it is now a straight line (ok...pehaps wavy) from where you are to biking and kayaking etc... :yahoo: I DO believe that there is a recommendation (and I've mentioned this to my family), that you wait a minimum of TEN YEARS beffore attempting yardwork! :wink1: That may just be a Massachusetts thing.

And I agree with your sentiment...this forum has been a huge help and a regular source of smiles and reassurance...

Z

(ok...I'm not a big fan of yardwork)
 
First of all, I had the same question before my 2nd THR, since my 1st recovery was going well, and I really didn't have much pain in the 2nd hip. The x-rays and my very limited range of motion indicated that it was just a matter of time before #2 would need to be done.

I questioned the OS about him wanting to do them 8 weeks apart - when I thought waiting a year or so might be more appropriate. He responded that the final decision was certainly mine, but that delaying it would cause my first hip to compensate for the bad 2nd hip, and therefore #1 and my pelvis would not properly heal. Because of this new compensation by hip #1, when I finally DID have #2 done a year or so down the road, then IT would not heal as well since #1 was already "set".

I was in exactly the same position after hip #1 and went through a similar thought process before I decided to go for hip #2 sooner rather than later. Another argument is that hip #2 is not going to get any better by delaying and the replacement will probably see me out, as they say, so why wait.

I might have had some contrary thoughts over the last couple of days (see my thread) but I am sure the problems are minor and temporary and it will all be great in a few weeks.

Good to hear you are coming out the other side now and feeling it has all been worth it. :thumb:
 
Hi Kevin
Glad to hear your doing better and you are right, the time between operations is tough choice. But sounds like its working out for you, and like you I chose to have my done in the winter so it doesnt affect my golf time. Cant wait to walk 18 holes without limping in the last 9.

That sleep thing haunts a lot of us if the Docs could only solve that one we would be better off.

Hang in there!
 
OK I am fessing up. Walked a mile outside in the snow & ice today ... I know, I know ... I can hear many of you now thinking how stupid this was. My wife thought it was a dumb idea also, but I told her I was going and she could either come with me and be my spotter, or stand there yelling at me as I left the door on my walk.

Thank goodness she came along - I wanted her to. My reasoning for going was that here in Chicago, sooner or later I have to learn to deal with the elements nature gives us in the winter. I'll have to walk in snow & ice when I go back to work - so might as well try it out here at home in controlled conditions. Can't stay inside ALL winter up here.

Wore my best boots with good traction and we went slowly. It was nice to get outside and get some fresh air, even it was cold. The sun was out, the wind was chilly, and it felt good to get back to the warm house. Overall it was a big step and a confidence booster, but I will remind myself not to get over confident. By the way, the hip(s) did well - never felt out of control, in fact I could feel the muscle groups around them "working" a little more to maintain balance & solid footing.

So there you have it - my confession of the weekend. If any of you are going to chew me out ...... Z made me do it !! :snork:
 
Kevin, we'lll let this one go but if you decide to go try your neighbor's slip and slide anytime soon that will be a no no.

Z
 
Alrighty then........

The silly boys club is in full swing this weekend! Hahahahahaha thank goodness you did good and didn't slip on your backside and cause your wife unnecessary stress. I'm sure your fine, it does seem a little risky only being a couple of weeks out from your surgery for the what if's then again most of the time the what's if's don't happen. I sense a little guilt for the having to share the confession :)

Hope you are getting ready to shower your wife with lots of fabulous valentine goodies, in your case I think everyday for the entire year needs to be valentines.

Good to hear form you today and glad you are doing well :)

xxooxx
 
And why not indeed? If you feel up to it, go for it! But carefully :th_heehee:


You didn't expect that, did you?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom