Guest viewing is limited

THR Jetlag's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hey Friends !

Today is day 7 with the 2<sup>nd</sup> new hip. Thanks to Anita for poking me to stop by the forum for an update.

Two hip surgeries in 8 weeks knocked this boy down more than I was expecting. I guess my body’s reserves had been depleted from the first one. Being released the day of surgery is nice for some reasons, but days 2-5 were not fun …. vomiting, fever, nausea, difficulty sleeping, constipation, etc. I think that I’ve over the hump now and feeling better. Doing in-home PT and walking fairly well.

Unexpected item #1 is still thinking about waking up during the surgery. I don't think that the Anesthesiologist screwed up particularly - here is what happened ......

First of all, keep in mind that anesthesiology is not an exact science, but rather a monitored "best guess" based upon certain parameters (weight, sex, general health, etc).

The preferred method for this OS is not general anesthesia, but rather a combination of :

  • epidural - for numbness from the waist down (actually slightly higher)
  • twilight sleep - to keep the patient unaware of what is going on. Propathol is the drug of choice for this.
I had read about some patients "waking up" during this procedure, which freaked me out, so I spoke with the anesthesiologist before surgery about this both times (same woman). I asked her that if she had a "range" of drugs to give me based upon my weight, that I would rather have the higher dosage so that I did not wake up. She remembered me asking that from the first surgery in November also. She explained to me that although some parameters can be carefully measured, that everyone metabolizes the medication differently, and there really was not a "range" as I thought. (my wife pointed out to me afterwards that if there was a range, that most Dr.s would lean towards the low side, since the consequences of over medicating with anesthesia can be fatal - just ask Michael Jackson)

My epidural remained stable - I did not "feel" any pain.
My twilight sleep did "slip out" a bit. I did not wake up per se and sit up on the table of course, nor did I even open my eyes. I became aware that someone was hammering on my leg and could tell that it was being pulled down on the table with each clank of the hammer. In my mind I remembered that I was in for surgery and realized what was happening - they were hammering the stem portion of the prosthesis down into my femur. I recall saying "Hey guys, I can hear and feel this right now". That was all that I remember but the surgeon told me later that we talked briefly and they had me put further under for the remainder of the operation.

It didn't freak me out as much as I was concerned about, in fact now I think it was kind of neat, since there was no pain.

Unexpected item #2 - as soon as I stood up I realized I have differential leg length. It feels significant, but I have read that this is not uncommon and may settle in and feel normal in a few months. It feels like I’m walking with a shoe on one foot, and not on the other. My pelvis was out of whack before the procedure, and the OS told my wife that this side was actually worse than the first, so he had to do more work. Will see him next week and ask more questions. Hope to get this resolved before returning to work otherwise the airplane may fly in a constant turn to the right. :hysterical:


Doing well otherwise and have lots of reading to catch up on here on the forum. Sorry to be so long winded here, just got on a roll. Thanks for stopping by.


Kevin
 
GREAT update Kevin !! Yes two ops in 8 weeks is a lot on your body. I'm sure you need some extra rest this time. You sound like things are going quite well though.
 
Hi Kevin,

Been reading your posts since I had hip #2 done 11.15, just one day before your 1st. I had my THR 9 months apart and it is a lot for the body to go through. I sailed through #1 and am not sailing through #2 even though I thought I would. Time to be even more patient with ourselves and give the body all the time it needs to heal.

I was woken up during my 2nd because they told me I was "restless" and fighting the doctors (whatever that means) They were putting my staples in and kept asking me if I could hear the noise, it was a strange feeling to say the least, but like you I felt no pain (thank goodness!) but I think it takes some sort of toll on the psyche to be aware when we should be knocked out.

Glad you are over the first few days and hopefully from here on out it will be smooth going for you. Hang in there!

diane
 
Kevin,

That sounds like a lot of surgery to go thru in a compressed amount of time...it really does. It is amazing that you go home the same day...most folks think my doc is insane for sending folks home after just one nite. I will say that the one nite in the hospital was not overly restful...but it was nice to have pros around to deal with all my "stuff" every half hour. I'll also say that not being there was great on nite #2.

I am with you on the leg length issue. Being lopsided is a bit annoying for now. When PT asks me to watch my gait mechanics I have to remind them that every other step feels like I am stepping downhill. If it looks like I'm walking a bit crooked it is ...CUZ I AM! :yes 4:

I can imagine by pelvis adjusting to this newly elongated leg some...but I can also imagine that taking months. I think the hula exercises I do (and maybe you too) have some potential for adjusting our hips to this new reality.

As for waking up during surgery...don't mind me if I pretend that i didn't read that part... LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ...:rolleyespink:

Be well,

Z
 
Hey Kevin. Glad to hear you are doing well after a few post-surgery bumps in the road. I broke my hip when I was 18 and had two surgeries (one to insert a pin to set it and a second twelve months later, to remove the pin). Both of those surgeries were spinals. I also woke up during the second surgery and had a very groggy conversation with the nurses and doctor. It was not unsettling and I felt no pain at all. I remember the OR being very cold. Of course, that could have also been the medication.

For my recent surgery, I planned to opt for spinal, but my surgeon strongly suggested general anesthesia. I was a little concerned about this as the thought of losing consciousness during the procedure was very unsettling to me. It's that loss of control and, God forbid, what if I never wake up.

The funny thing is, after having both spinal and GA, I would opt for GA every time. I remember being wheeled into the OR and the next thing I knew, I was opening my eyes in recovery.

I know you have already had the surgery and you are probably asking yourself, why is he telling me this? Don't really know myself other than wanted to share the experience of having both.

As for the leg length discrepancy, sometimes I feel like I have a slight difference between my legs as well. That said, I think part of it is the muscles have been weakened, need to be built up again and then RELEARN how to be used as I do not need to compensate for the leg weakness. That's quite a bit to do in a short period of time. As others have stated, I feel like it is started to "even out" now.

Lou
 
Hi! Glad you came back and let us know how its going.

I truly couldnt imagine how much of a strain on the body two THRs would be in such a small time frame. Sounds like you are pulling through with flying colors though!

I have my 2 week check up on 1/23.

Keep up the good work :thumb:
 
Hey Kev, Sorry to hear that the first week was so uncomfortable for you. Please do give your body a good long time to recuperate. Don't worry about neglecting us - just take good care of yourself. I am very glad to see that your sense of humor is undiminished. If I see any lop-sided planes I will be sure to wave (then duck!). Big hug from your surgical sister.
 
Kevin
Glad all is well now.
I do like the part about Day 2 thru 5 being bad for you. I am still planning on my second operation in the same time frame. Keep us updated when you can. You have a gift for Web Writing/story telling that is comfortable in reading.
 
Hi Kevin,

Sorry you had a few shaky days! Do you think those side effects are because you went home the same day, meaning if you stayed in the hospital 3-4 days like most of us would that of made a difference? Wow hold on if you had stayed over you too would have had the morphine pump WooooHoooo!!

Back when I busted both my legs, the day of my car accident they put me into surgery for a few hours. To this day I always remember waking up and very briefly seeing the green fabric wall and my right leg in a very odd unnatural position, almost like it was swiveling away from my body. I don't remember too much during the first few weeks of my car wreck, but I figure they probably used similar things like you guys are having the spinal and light stuff because my internal damages (liver, spline, lungs etc) were more life threatening than
my bones and to knock me out might have been to risky. My vote though is KNOCK me out cringing very creepy about this topic!

Yessss let's hope your legs straighten out, the flying to the right does not sound like too much fun!

Glad you feel better now, I'm confident you will be posting fun work out videos very soon!!

Happy healing...super bowl is soon!

xxooxx
 
Hi Kevin
Loved reading your update! You are one tough cookie. Glad that didn't happen to me (waking up). Z15 cracked me up " la la la la la la la" :loll:
Andy
 
Hi Kevin

Great report, sounds like you are on the improve...

Don't even think about planes or mention flying, I am going to be checking the flight crew every time I head into an airport now... and taking my own compass with me.. Just to be sure.. Heheh!

And, don't even dream about that bungee jumping! Incidentally the girl in the accident in Africa is from OZ - we breed them tough down here, she swam to the shore herself!
 
Kevin (or Jo),

So I have only spent one nite in the hospital in my life...so I have a very limited view on this...but I was told that I was hooked up to bags of saline all night to hydrate but also to help flush out the anaesthesia. i SOOO wanted them to stop cuz I hated getting up every 45 min to pee, but I had no nausea or vomitting and actually ate chicken pot pie about 5 hours after surgery (my doc wants folks to get their "systems" working again ASAP..and eating real food is part of his formula).

So I guess my question is, is there some minimum saline flushes that are needed to help clean out the residual stuff? I wasn't loving it...but I felt very good...

Did they send you home on IV?

Hope you're feeling better!

Z
 
Hi Z - thanks for your messages. I did not go home with an IV .... they took mine out in recovery. Just told me to drink LOTS of fluids to flush things out. Actually helps reduce the swelling also.
 
Morning Kevin,

I'm curious if that makes a difference with the IV and the longer stay in the hospital. Then again you and Haldox have bounced back very quickly which really is outstanding. I always love you honesty about feeling crappy too it keeps the surgery real, not in a negative way......meaning if new people are getting ready for the surgery they need to lay low for a few days, week and not over do things!

Have a great Wednesday!
 
Kevin, glad to hear your on the way to improving - those first few days are really rough, aren't they?

I can relate to the leg difference, mostly from my pre-op experience. The last several months, especially at the end my pelvis was so tilted and twisted I also had that feeling that my left shoe had lots of padding and my right was like walking barefoot - thought it was a bad pair of shoes until I noticed it with all my shoes! Post-op, I know my operated side is a little longer than it was (my muscles can really tell!) but I notice that most of the tilt is gone. I do have to keep reminding myself not to shift my weight over to my non-op side - old habits are hard to break but it is feeling better! I am sure things will even out for you also - it sound like a common issue. Take care and let us know how you are doing!

Judy
 
Two positive items to report tonight :

  • Graduated final in-home PT today – move on to outpatient PT next week
  • Snowed all day here today. Wife is out shoveling/snowblowing, and I’m inside watching a movie on NetFlix.
 
Yay Kevin congratulations on therapy!

OMG the snow comment gets a mixed reaction of Yeah that's funny then a natural double take of thinking that's not right for your wife to be out there shoveling snow GASP what a sexist comment to make and especially from me Ms independence! I think it's because your watching a movie and not cheering from the front door saying honey I love you and being there for morale support LOL then again your fabulous wife is on her second round of nursing you, your probably lucky your not in a rehab facility hahahaha sorry little humor there!

Thrilled you are doing well!

xxooxx
 
A good wife for sure.:thumb:
We had 10" the last 4 days and now it is raining and the snow is melting. My wife was really nervous the last few days with me outside getting My Cold Natured Tractor running. My son Destroyed my front fence 40' or so along my driveway. Had to close off the lower gate. So I and My Son have work to do next week when the snow melts and I get the supplies.

Sarah We are liberated but having the option of watching a movie or standing at the door and having a chance of catching a cold watching SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) shovel snow. Kevin Is not Dumb:wink1:

Kevin Glad to hear you graduated. Because of the Snow I have not seen my PT this week. Supposed to meet her at my Friend's house tomorrow. Places to go things to do. I will spend the day doing hand Piece work building Fish Flashers.:sleep:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom