Guest viewing is limited

THR Jetlag's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all my US friends are taking 'funny meds' - just love the humor we have going now.. It is great, keep it coming.
 
Hi Kevin, just catching up with your thread. Sounds like your recovery is going very well. Please keep us updated won't you?
 
Hi Jetlag

Just catching up with everyone's stories - there's a lot to read after 4 weeks away!

Congrats on No 2. I hope the 'bad days' are now over and that there has been no recurrence of the nerve pain in Hip #1. The first 10 days were certainly the worst for me. Thereafter, recovery was quite quick and very rewarding.

I'm following your progress with interest as I have No 2 scheduled for 1 Feb. Not looking forward to it (or the first 10 days!). I just hope it goes as well as No 1 thereafter.
 
Hi Kevin,

I'm full of admiration for someone who chooses to go through the whole thing again so soon after the last one!

You left a message on my thread so you'll know I'm going through it again but NOT by choice and I also still have my "good' right leg to take the strain!

Good to hear your rough days are over as mine are mostly apart from some swelling.

I'm right behind you as far as role reversal goes ... snow shovelling is great exercise ... it's so good of you to let your other half get the cardio vascular benefit for once!

All the best

Charlie
 
Kevin,

The snow that was falling on you has moved over New England and I have to figure out what to do with it. I have a 400ft driveway and my wife is not overly comfortable with the snowblower. It is a powerful, scary beast!

Regarding PT...Advice to me, which I am taking so far, is that I am only supposed to do the long list of exercises that my doc gave me until I see him on 1/30. So, I am holding off on Outpatient PT until after that.

On a selfish matter...the visiting PT is part of my hip replacement and is covered cost wise. Once I go to outpatient I will have a $40 copay every visit.

So...I'm going to hold off a little longer. I *love* all the amazing things that physical therapists do. I've spent lots of time getting shoulders and hamstrings and achilles and ankes getting repaired and they never cease to amaze me...but, on this one, I am going to wait till they can really work their magic without the limitations that my doc has impsed.

Good luck with the recovery...and "THANKS" :sigh: for the snow...

Z
 
Hi Kevin,
Glad to hear you are moving right along, I found the fact they sent you home the same day very interesting in the way different doctors do things. Good luck in the rest of your recovery. And if im on a flight that keeps going around in circles I will know you are driving.
 
Weekly Update - THANKS everyone for your positive words of encouragement. Recovery of hip # 2 seems to be more painful, but the OS told us they DID have to drill deeper into the acetabulum on #2 due to it's condition.

The good news is, since coming home from hip #2, I have completely forgotten about hip #1, and I've been using it a LOT for getting up, etc. It feels completely normal now.

Started outpatient PT yesterday - another good therapist - I've been very fortunate.

Kevin
 
It really says a lot Kevin, that hip #1 already feels normal even though the surgery was only a couple of months ago. That's a real credit to you and your surgeon :thumb:.
 
Good to hear Kevin! Good therapists can really help to get you where you want to be.

I meet with my surgeon on Monday which will be just short of 4 weeks...and he'll decide then whether to give me the green lite for outpatient.

Z
 
:yay: Yay for hip #1!!!Im glad its getting along great and soon #2 will be right there with it.

Yes a good therapist is a godsend, its great to have another person rootin' for ya:wink1:
 
Morning Kevin....

Yay glad hip #1 is doing good while you work on hip #2 - wow this is a mouthful when juggling two hips! Sorry you are having to deal with more pain this time around, hopefully this will pass very soon! Have a good week! xxooxx
 
Hi Kevin,

Great to hear your 1st hip is feeling good, my old mum used to tell me when I hurt my finger or whatever to bite my lip, it's displacement theory I think!

Best of luck with number 2 but I know you'll be fine.

Keep posting....

Charlie
 
Hi Kevin

Wow, that is thrilling to know that hip one is already taking the strain off hip two. - wonderful encouraging news for us Bonesmarties facing hip two surgery shortly.

Keep up the good work xx Sandy
 
Hope that new hip eases a bit Kevin! Hang in there - you have first hand experience that it does get better and better!
 
Kevin,

I hope all is well... drop us an update at some point.

I just saw a report on TV today that Airline Pilot is like the 3rd most stressful career, and that explains a lot. Some people carry stress in their jaw, others in their neck...you must just carry it in your hips! All those years of clenched hips just wore them out...

Be good,

Z
 
Hi Kev,
I've been away from the forum for a little while and wanted to check in on you. So just ditto-ing Z's poke to give us an update. Hoping all is going well.

Your surgical sis
 
Hey Z and Anita - thanks for the pokes !!

I'm generally doing okay but the second recovery has been more difficult for me than the first. Gosh - I don't even think about the first one anymore. The second one is still painful at almost 4 weeks, and my energy level is noticeably lower - in bed 10 hrs at night (sleeping interrupted) and still have to take a nap every day. Won't be going back to work quite so quickly. Z - got a chuckle out of your hip stress comment - it has probably been due to 30 years of my hard landings ! As to the news article you saw, sounds like it was overblown - I think that every type of work has it's good & bad parts. I've been fortunate that I've gotten to do something I enjoy.

As I responded to another via PM, I'm still on the forum every day reading, just have not been posting much. Thanks for checking in on me.

Kevin
 
Kevin, Like we noted..you were not going into this one with a lot of energy reserves, I could see the curve being longer to get you where you wanna be the 2nd time around.

...and I loved your "hard landing" comment..I think you must've been at the stick one particuilarly memorable time going into Denver. The flight attendent mentioned not to be concerned, "Krazy Kevin" was in the cockpit and the landings were pretty much all like that... :wink1:

Z
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom