PKR JennyLynne- On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JennyLynne i spent a week in rehab after 4 days in the hospital, when I left after 11 days I could not do a straight leg lift. I'd lie down on the PT table and after trying without success, she'd lift my leg straight up and over my head and slowly lower it, hoping to remind my body what it was supposed to do. Luckily I'm very flexible, but even that didn't do the trick. I came home on a Saturday and Sunday I was finally able to do a straight leg lift. At home and in the hospital I practiced with the leg lifter. So it took me 12 days and my leg was very weak going into the TKR. Don't feel bad. When I practiced with the leg lifter I tried using it less and less, but just enough to not let my leg fall. Granted, it didn't hurt, just felt weird that I was telling my leg what to do and it wouldn't do it.
 
:rotfl:To funny. I go home tomorrow and I know that I will be hearing some of the same stuff. I'm just now lifting my leg a little on my own. My Mom and Dad Have been great:console2:.
 
@KarriB that's a great idea to use my lifter to work on it! My PT does that with an elastic exercise band, lifts it slightly and has me try to hold it for 5 seconds. Now I have a way to work on that myself!!! Yay!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
JennyLynne, you can also try lifting your *bent* knee until you get the straight lift figured out. Lifting a bent knee doesn't use the same muscles, but it's a start!
 
Not having success with bent either yet. In time... In time!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne I feel your pain with husband and long weekend stretching ahead!

I am back to cooking it seems after, what 11 days! Due to the weather being good, he's busy in the garden, garage anywhere but the kitchen!
I had a 'lets feel sorry for myself moment yesterday' but that moment has gone (no doubt they'll be others) but I think we have every right, we have gone from being able to do most things around the house and garden to being rendered near useless in all areas.
I managed to get outside in the garden for a little while, but had to sit down lots and then came in for a nap.
Keep venting JennyLynne and really hope you get downstairs over the weekend :flwrysmile:
 
@jacs65 thanks for the camaraderie! I told him that while my son naps, i would appreciate some help with a shower (ugh hate that I need a hand), and then I want to go downstairs and outside for a while. I know some fresh air will help my spirits!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hear you both. Except for the part about it being a nice weekend. It's a cold rainy weekend in Kansas but my husband has to go out of town for the week tomorrow. I just dread being home alone for the whole week and know the loneliness of this recovery is going to make it even longer. Thank goodness, I've been cleared to drive and will have a couple sessions of PT to go back and forth to. Trips to the store will have to be short as my knee can't take too much yet. Oh well, this too shall pass ---- for all of us.
 
@Kansas Teacher Hope good weather makes its way to Kansas soon.
I'm impressed you've been passed to drive and @JennyLynne hoping to drive next week? I have been told not before 6 weeks. To be honest the thought of depressing the clutch with my bad leg kind of makes me wince. Do you both have automatics?
@Kansas Teacher when you're on your own have you made a list of things you could do? My one thing that I plan to have a go at is to create my on website, easy doing sitting down.

All my activites yesterday caused payback in the night and pain kept me awake most of the night (will I ever learn), so today I have completed a few chores but mainly sitting with leg up and break to exercise and walk a little.
 
@jacs65 I drive an automatic so I am cleared to drive as long as I am not on narcotics. My doctor has said I could go back to work this week if i was up to it.... Well I am NOT! But I see him on Wednesday, so a game plan will be laid out.

Yesterday didn't go quite as planned, mostly due to my husband taking on 100 tasks, which left me alone most of the day again. I did make it downstairs for dinner with him and my son, and it was so nice. I felt so "normal"!

Hoping to spend more time downstairs today, and really want to get outside!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne Plus you had the left knee done, so no clutch and left knee makes driving easier. Yay for you! I'm assuming @Kansas Teacher also had left knee done. So nice to begin to feel normal again!
Mine was the right and I was just feeling well enough to consider driving when the infection and subsequent surgery occurred. I didn't drive from Oct. 28th-Jan. 23rd! When I did drive I just got in the car and drove 4 blocks to my best friend's house, short trips at first.
Have a great day and I hope you can get outside for a bit.
 
Yes, automatic and left knee here, too. OS says 4-6 weeks before driving when I do my right. I'm not driving the lawn mower yet. It has a rather stout lever to be pressed with the left leg as part of the starting process.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
My pt got me using the bathrobe tie from my terry bathrobe to pull my leg up into and out if bed. Works great. I have one in living room and one in bedroom


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, automatic and left leg so that makes it easier for me too. My husband actually decided not to go and put his trip off another week. He said he just didn't feel right leaving me quite yet. I hated to see him cancel on my account but can't say I'm too disappointed.

Roxie
 
I'm really happy to hear that Roxie! You shouldn't have had to worry about being alone- more important to focus on healing!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My big plans for today have been sidelined by some tummy issues. Not to bring up an unpleasant topic, but holy constipation! I thought I was doing everything right... Colace, prunes, water. Today has been awful! Talked to a nurse from my home-care program, and she just lectured me that I'm clearly not drinking enough water. I thought 64 oz would be good, but I guess not for me?? I also added miralax at her suggestion.

Anyone else had this really bad and lived to tell??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My knee pain took a backseat on days #5-7 with the GI issues I had. It was like an earthquake with lots of aftershocks. I wish I'd started on the Miralax right from the start!
 
@tigz my knee was the last thing on my mind today! I finally have had some relief and will do anything to not have a repeat of today!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom