Guest viewing is limited

PKR JennyLynne- On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am resting, elevating and icing now! I told my husband to go downstairs (until I need help out of bed, of course, haha)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yep. If dear husband isn't going to help support your leg until you get your strength back, send the dear man away. Rest, ice, and elevate. All perfectly normal. Little things pay big dividends but don't do anything that hurts. (Sometimes, you know a little discomfort will pay big dividends. If you recognize that, a little push is okay. )


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Pt will be coming MWF, so hope to see small improvements along the way. This is hard work!
It shouldn't be hard work, my dear! I recommend you my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's knee story and progress where I did even less!
Any advice for getting in and out of a very high bed?
Yes, try a leg lifter!

[Bonesmart.org] JennyLynne- On the other side!


My quads are mush, I can't believe it.
Well you just had major surgery, didn't you? You should remember that they are not weak or out of condition, they are injured. Big difference. But they will mend in time and you need to give it that time to do so. Exercises can therefore be quite counter-productive for this.
 
Josephine is more correct than I was in noting your quads are injured and not weak or out of condition.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks for making me feel better. When I said it was hard work, i meant just getting in and out of bed! I have a leg lifter but this darn bed is so high!! Tried a step stool last time... Just need to figure out how to best maneuver it all.

I think another problem today was waiting too long to take my meds. Then I hurt, then I got emotional, then embarrassed, then more emotional. My sweet 3 yr old was watching it all and it was just heart breaking for me.

I was going close to 6 hrs btw percoset pills because they make me so groggy. Backing it up to 4 hrs and I think that will help me keep a lid on the tears at least.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think another problem today was waiting too long to take my meds.
Many of us have waited too long to take the meds---why not get an app for your smartphone so that it can remind you what med to take and when to take it? It is important to take those meds on the clock before you hurt.
 
I am using my phone... It was an interval that I thought was good for me. I was wrong!
Bottle says 4-6 hrs, and I went for the long side because it was feeling so out of it from the pills. But I've been awake all day today- I think it just took a couple days to adjust.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I also have a high bed, I did not try to use the bed for a week or two. I camped out in my comfy recliner. I am guessing that most people use a recliner or make a comfy nest on a couch. I used pillows to elevate the leg and packed myself in with more pillows. Every thread I've read that mentioned comfort at home seemed to indicate not using a bed.
Just before two weeks I was able to get in & out of bed with the help of a strap but the bed hurt more than the chair. Things slowly got better from that point. I think I started using the bed at about 3 - 4 weeks.
 
@impossibledone , I don't have a recliner and I have a very energetic 3 yr old that would be all over me on the couch. Bedroom is my safe zone right now. I just need to make this bed work. I never would have thought this would be my biggest challenge!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Take a little time right now---it will all work out. I don't have a recliner either and I used a bed quite successfully to heal. Most of all, recognize that this is a long process. The first two weeks are a blur of pain meds and fatigue---you just had major surgery and anesthesia, you need to recover from both of them. Having such a young child will be difficult for the first week or so, but it will get better.

The pain meds eventually don't make you so tired---the pain abates a bit after tweek two or three and you can take milder pain meds then. You will need help with the child for at least two weeks. Your job now is to rest and allow those soft tissues to heal.

When the Pt is there, his/her job is to help you strech GENTLY and to massage your swelling to help get it down. I did a few heel slides and not much else the first two weeks. Don't let the PT push your leg---they cannot do anything if you tell them to stop, they have to listen to you, the customer. If you allow pushing which causes pain---the leg will swell more--delaying your recovery.

I never had one minute of pain in PT. I never took extra pain meds for pt---I was afraid I would hurt myself and not know it. I have great rom now---you do not have to endure pain to get here. My rom is 145, so don't allow anyone to hurt you.

The first two weeks, I mostly lay in bed with my leg propped up with three pillows

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

I would get up every hour or so to go to the bathroom or get something to drink. Otherwise, I was in bed resting and sleeping. I did get up and go to pt, but gentle stretches and massage were all that we did.

week three will be different, you can begin some simple exercises then---your quad will wake up and you can do quad sets and simple leg lifts when it does. by week four, you will begin to feel much better---but it really does take that long before you will begin to feel like yourself. So, for now, rest is what you need.
 
While I spent the first part of the day crying, the afternoon has been much better! First shower!!! And I realized that I can get in and out of this giant bed on the OTHER side much easier. It feels weird over here, but it's a relief! Also, my husband brought a big overstuffed chair up to the bedroom. Not a recliner, but it gives me an option other than the bed during the day.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Amazing just switching to the other side has made it so much easier, who knows you may get used to being there and claim it as yours. Glad you nest is becoming more comfortable, with the overstuffed chair, and a comfortable bed.
 
Good thinking for trying the other side of the bed! I realized earlier today that when I get my right knee done, I'm going to have to do some things differently, too.

What a dear man your husband is to help you find comfortable alternatives.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hang in there, @JennyLynne . This too shall pass for all of us. I can't wait to be one of the people on here who now are looking back and encouraging the newbies like us. Thank goodness they are here or we might really fall into a pit of despair.

Roxie
 
@KarriB, I do! We have a full time nanny. She will take care of him, bring him to and from school, and help me too, I hope (get me a snack, ice, etc). Could never have done this without her on board!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] JennyLynne- On the other side!
. Here is a easy way I still use in and out of bed. Or on a couch.



Xxxx happy healing. Don't be sad. We all are here for you. We been throw it. Read all materials and it' will help you...

Hope this is ok to post. Put good leg under the surgical leg. And do the lifting. I do this still and I am a bit over 2 months from revision.

Or put sheet around ankle and lift surgical leg.

Just do it slow. You will make it.

Just a laugh. Hub had be trained at hospital to help lift leg. Well 2 time he drop it ouch ouch. So let the hubby stay away lol. Just kidding. They will help u. I'm praying for you.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
@Angel1978 thanks.... Once I switched sides of the bed today, it got a lot easier! Silly me for not even thinking of that for 4 days!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Welcome. I try see switch bed side. I found this was easier in every aspect. It took pressure off of lifting it in and out of bed.

Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom