PKR JennyLynne- On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JennyLynne - I'm sorry that you have new pain in your knee.

Last fall & winter I had to take several long trips due to family emergencies, and the microfracture surgery that an OS did in May had failed (and as a result part of my femur also dropped at an angle onto my tibia on the medial side of left knee). Even though it still hurt to walk, without a doubt I know I wouldn't have been able to make the trips had I not had injections, an unloader brace and my cane for stability. I would suggest that if possible you receive an injection and be fitted for an unloader brace before you take your trips, and bring your cane along for the times when you want some extra support.

When I went in for my TKR this year, it was the first day in 9 months that I didn't wear the unloader brace. The pain in my knee while trying to get to the hospital admitting section was so excruciating, and while being wheeled to the OR, I told my OS that I hadn't realized/appreciated until that morning that the unloader brace really had kept much of the bone-on-bone pain at bay.
 
What wouldn't we do differently in our lives if we had the gift of hindsight, huh? I'm so sorry to hear you are bone on bone on the outside of your knee already. In less than 3 months since your surgery? That must have been so tough to hear. Well done on trying to focus on the positive. Sure that can't be easy some days. We are definitely meeting at the pub, I'll hold you to that! Do keep us updated if you feel you want to.
 
@Widget1 haven't had time to get fitted for unloader before my trips. A shame!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just got to Chicago. It was lovely, Standing on the rental car bus, with a cane, being jostled around and trying not to fall, while a bunch of men sat and watched. Not one offered his seat. So disappointing but not surprising.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's a shame that not a one offered you their seat! :(
 
I know "partials" are a touchy subject here sometimes. I get it. But, I still believe I made the right decision at the time. Hindsight... You know how that goes!
Hi @JennyLynne
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. It's a shame that this has happened to you. I do hope that the unloader brace helps you to postpone revision surgery for a while.
I won't say I told you so - that would just be mean - but I will say that you had jolly bad luck. :console2:

I had a PKR originally and I've never regretted that decision. It gave me back my life, after 9 years of progressive deterioration in mobility.
I was lucky, because my PKR lasted me for 11 years before it failed, but I've learned that I am one of the exceptions.

When the time does come for you to have a revision to a TKR, try not to worry too much about the surgery. I got very anxious, but the actual revision and recovery were no more difficult or painful than my original surgery - and it fixed the problems I was having.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Pittsburgh my cane turns everyone in gentle beings! I'm sorry no one had any manners.
 
Just got to Chicago. It was lovely, Standing on the rental car bus, with a cane, being jostled around and trying not to fall, while a bunch of men sat and watched. Not one offered his seat. So disappointing but not surprising.
Sometimes you need to speak up, in order to get the help you deserve. I would have looked at the men sitting down and said something like "Would one of you kind gentlemen please let me have your seat, because I'm still recovering from a major operation and I can't stand very well yet." (Pile it on thick!)

I'm afraid that I have got quite stroppy about younger, fitter people taking a seat I need, especially if it's marked as being for disabled or older people. I've been known to say something like "Please will you let this little, grey-haired old lady sit there?" I'm polite, but firm about it. It usually works.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from Europe and catching up - it's been a whirlwind couple of weeks! I am relieved to say that everything went really well in Europe. It wasn't always easy, and I wasn't always comfortable, but it was very doable. The Amsterdam airport was by far my biggest challenge, as a connection on the way to Luxembourg and as an overnight layover on the way home. But I still managed to make the most of my layover, going into central Amsterdam with colleagues and enjoying a (fairly tame) evening out. I was on my feet walking for hours, and I felt ok the next day. I made sure to get up and stretch regularly on the long flights, and I didn't swell at all.

Am I happy how I feel? Nope. But I know I can still DO things until this is all behind me!
 
Sorry, JennyLynne. I just finished asking you for an update on my thread before I realized you'd posted on your own thread. Feel free to disregard my request!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your travels and survived them with minimal discomfort. It may not be exactly where you want to be but it's far better than where you were.

Roxie
 
Went to see my OS today. Got fitted for an unloader brace and started a series of Euflexxa injections.
Today was also my last day of PT, because it is clear that I have regained all of my strength and flexibility. They gave me an electro-stim/TENS machine to take home with me. Hoping all of these things make the discomfort bearable for the foreseeable future!
 
Consider picking up or making (if you sew or know someone who does) a few sleeves for wearing under the brace. It reduces chafing. I bought a pair of sleeves and a yard of fabric. My mom made me three more pair, so I always have a fresh sleeve to put on under the brace. Thankfully, I only need to wear one brace now.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@JennyLynne - last year I was fitted for the unloader brace the day before traveling. Early the next morning I stopped at the ortho center before going to the airport because my leg had a rash from everywhere the inside of the brace had touched. They gave me a sleeve to wear, and I went on my way to the airport and put the sleeve on before going in the airport. They gave me an XS, and it felt like it was cutting off all circulation to my leg. I still wore it though, because I also had a walking boot on the right foot, and had a 5 hour flight ahead of me.

Once I arrived at my destination I went to Walgreens and purchased some pairs of footless tights (thicker than pantyhose) and wore those throughout my stay away from home.

I called an ortho center in the state I was visiting, and they said they would give me a larger sleeve for $60, so I declined that. Your OS office should be able to provide you with a sleeve to go with your unloader brace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom