PKR JennyLynne- On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two stationary bikes. My family room looks like a gym. I mostly ride the recumbent bike because I'm afraid of falling and messing up my new knee!
 
Just had my 6 week checkup. Doctor said everything looks great and I'm right where he wants me to be.

BUT... My left leg is bowing in a lot more than it had been. I've always been knock-knee'd. It gets worse when my muscles are weak, so he is hoping that is part of it. I knew I would need a conversion to TKR and this surgery was meant to buy me 10 years or so. Goal is over 50 yrs old so I maybe never need another surgery again.

My doctor is worried that the increase in bow in will maybe mean a shorter time frame, but still 5-7 yrs out. He still thinks this was the right thing to do, the pattellofemoral surgery. I always knew there was more in my future, but I hate hearing it right now. Trying to put it out of my head and focus on the good. Trying!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't even think about it - onward and upward and if and when something happens - you deal with it then...... Try to just continue your recovery....... enjoy your son this summer. Who knows what the future holds right now.
 
Thanks @iivesfam5 I know you are right. Just hard to push those thoughts out right now. At PT and doing great- need to focus on that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's a shame you are worrying about your knees at this stage of recovery but understandable.
I think the same as @livesfam5 In 5-7 years time who knows what will be on the horizon with knee surgery. Focus on the present and your PT - thats going to do good things for you and help you recover. Don't worry about whats not happened yet as it may not ever happen!
Have a good weekend.
 
I know it's hard to not think of "what if..." But you don't want to waste your positive recovery on that. It may be in the back of your mind always, just don't give it any credence or time unless you begin feeling the effects physically. Have a sunny, almost pain free day!
 
Doctor gave me a scrip for ambien to help my sleep issues, but I'd like to try melatonin for more long term use. Any suggested brands/mg?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ambien scares me for some reason. If you use it I'll be watching to see how it goes.
 
I use Ambien on an "as needed" basis. Used to scare me, too! Unfortunately, melatonin (I've tried just about every variation of mg's, sub-lingual, pill, etc) does nothing for me. Actually, it keeps me wide awake! I've tried just about every OTC and natural product known to man (at least it seems like it!) and none of them have helped me sleep. You might ask your pharmacist about the melatonin and get his/her suggestion as to brand and dosage. I know many people who swear by it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I've taken ambien before, especially when I used to travel for business a lot. Hotels plus different time zones messed me up. I have not taken it since I had my son, just because I never felt ok being that deeply asleep. But I'm running on empty and need something for a few nights.

My father recently started taking melatonin and said it's helped him a lot. We seem to have pretty similar chemistry so I'll ask him too. And the pharmacist- good idea!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Even now I need to take 1 tylenol pm to help me sleep through the night. But in the midst of my TKR sleep was non-existent. I'm usually pretty tired when I'm teaching. But in the summer my energy output isn't the same. I swim and ride my bike to try to tire myself out.
 
It is scary to take things when you have a young child you are responsible for. I am taking 1 to 2 Tylenol PM every night now but my beautiful 9 month old grandson is coming to sleep over on Saturday and I won't take anything. I just can't do it - I am too afraid Grampy won't hear him...... So tonight I will get to bed early and take 2 to make sure I sleep like a log...... Sleep is precious!!! Good luck @JennyLynne. Someone here on some thread I read talked about Schiff brand Melatonin. I wrote it down because I thought maybe after my surgery I would try a little of that.
 
It's weird... I'm exhausted in the early evening and then can't fall asleep come 9:30pm. Certainly isn't for lack of energy use- I'm working full time, going to PT 3x week before or after work, and coming home to a 3 yr old!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You would think you would be able to drop........ It will come as they say.......
 
You are putting out LOTS of energy as well as your body healing. No work tomorrow, so maybe you're body and mind will be able to relax.
 
Just want to point out, I'm not worried about 5 years... I'm worried it could be 5 months! I have no reason to think that. I'm just being my neurotic little self :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey ya. I am the same as you. I am knocked knees. And well the partial did not hold on me. I never Dreamed of having a convention. But just happen taut way. Read my thread. Was Pop lock and move all over knee cap. Best of luck to you!!!


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom