Guest viewing is limited

PKR JennyLynne- On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swimming/pool anything is fabulous! Today I got 18 laps in while on vacation! I've decided I'm swimming year round when I retire.
 
Hi everyone! Thought it was past time for an update.

Just back from a short vacation to an indoor water park resort for 2 days, and then 2 days visiting my husband's family. Didn't have to exert much at the water park- I floated around just keeping an eye on my son. The rest of the weekend was quite a challenge- we attended a summer festival twice, including a carnival and parade, etc. it was hot and humid and too much walking, but I felt pretty good at the end of it all.

My knee is feeling quite good overall, and I feel my issues now are overcoming the weakness from a year of little activity. My back has been ailing me more than my knee. I stopped using a cane, and my back started acting up about a week later. I know it's from still having a bit of a limp. So, I'm using the cane again when out, to keep my posture good. PT for at least another 4 weeks, and I hope to be much stronger and more stable at the end of that!

Off to read some threads....



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
sounds like you are doing great! don't think I am ready for festivals and parades in the humidity yet, but good for you!
 
Good update! I think our knees were so painful the back pain was disguised. When I get up in the morning my back hurts more than my knees and it doesn't matter what kind of mattress I sleep on.
 
@KarriB exactly that! The more restful the night, the more painful the back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great update. Good to hear that things are going so well. At the moment I can't imagine going to a festival - but I guess you felt the same at 3 weeks?! Keep posting when you can, it's great inspiration for those of us behind you.
 
@Raffs, it won't be long before you will be able to attend festivals! So glad you had a fun time and were able to float around the pool! I've had back issues for many, many years and found my back (especially my lower back) really acted up post-TKR. It was almost like it was jealous of all the attention the knees had been getting and wanted a turn. Hope you're able to find some relief. I was using a heating pad on my back along with my ice machine on my knees. I'm sure it looked funny, but whatever works!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
PT added some exercises to strengthen my lower back. I had to lay on my stomach, and I was terrified. My knee would partially dislocate if I did it before surgery and I've been too scared to try since. Of course, it was totally fine. Silly of me to be so scared!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hard to rid ourselves of these thoughts after years of living with the pain and other side effects that came with bad knees. Are you loving PT? For me it was like having a personal trainer, loved every minute, never missed a session.
 
@KarriB I love PT! I hate having to rush to work after, or rush out of work before, but I make it a priority.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I told my PT today "it's not that I don't like ALL OF YOU, but the multiple weekly visits are getting a bit tiring!"

She was very nice to this weary body today!
 
How's life, my Boss Buddy? Still around?
 
@tigz !!!! So nice to see this message pop up!! I haven't been on the site much. Things haven't been all that great ... I am the cautionary tale of why people don't do partials, and I really didn't feel like hearing "I told you so" from anyone. That's why I have kept a low profile. But since I am here now...

My patella surgery has healed very well. However, my knock-knee (valgus) has progressed very rapidly and is causing a lot of pain on the outside of my knee. My doctor said that he's only seen this kind of rapid decline once before in a patient as young as me. Lucky me! Someone has to make the percentage, right?

The good news - I have much more stability, less pain, almost no swelling, full ROM. The bad news... still pain, just different pain, and will need the conversion to TKR much sooner than hoped. We were shooting for 5-10 years, but I doubt that is possible. New hope is 3 yrs. Will try injections again soon, and will get an unloader brace for when I need some extra support.

I am back to my "normal" life for the most part, just still slow. Still in PT because I want to gain more strength. I have my first flights coming up - a short one to Chicago next week, and a LONG one to Luxemboug the following. Excited and nervous to have a long European trip (for work). Hoping I hold up ok!

Other than that... family is good, my little guy started preschool today, and have some cool travel coming (see above).

How are you??? (And all my other BSmarties out there!!)
 
Oh no! I hope you can hang in there for three more years. Maybe the injections will help!

Exciting about the trip. You have Chicago to prepare for the international trip. :)

Good to hear things are getting back to normal. I quit (or graduated, depending how you look at it) PT when I went back to work fulltime. Doing some exercises when I'm off, but otherwise, work is keeping me busy, and trying to get back on track with the cooking, cleaning, etc.
 
Hi! Great to hear from you, missed you! Really so sorry to hear this, such bad luck, will be hoping that you do get at least 3 years and hopefully more. Is the increased pain due to the escalation of arthritis in the outside of your knee? Your life does sound pretty good apart from this though. Shame you're not coming to London! Will you need your other knee doing at some point?

I'm doing.....ok. 10 weeks out now. Still quite swollen especially the bottom of my knee. Still sore, still limping, still got those horrid tight bands. You can hear the frustration, can't you? Everyone tells me I'm doing ok but I hoped I would feel better by now. ROM is good though and knee not that stiff most of the time. Still not sure that I'm happy I went ahead with the surgery, ask me again in another 10 weeks!

Please keep updating us if you feel like it. It'd be great to hear how things go. I hope nobody would say "I told you so!" You did what you and the OS thought was best and that's all you could have done. Whenever the revision is, we'll be here for you. Big hug.
 
I'm glad @tigz brought me out of hiding. I know "partials" are a touchy subject here sometimes. I get it. But, I still believe I made the right decision at the time. Hindsight... You know how that goes!

@Raffs my current pain is likely due to the way valgus has angled my leg, so it's bone on bone on the outside due to the tilt. Hard to describe.

Even though I have pain, I can do so much more than before surgery. I move pretty well, much less stiff, can stand for long periods. No pain with exercise that isn't weight bearing. So, I can't deny that there is improvement. Trying to focus on that!!

My European work travel tends to be to Luxembourg, but if I find myself near London, you and me are meeting at a pub @Raffs !!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Not what you want, @JennyLynne . I'm sorry to hear there's a different kind of pain now. I figured you were busy running around with your little guy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom