Guest viewing is limited

Jean's home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to reduce dose and hope it will reduce itching!

and perhaps I will change my avatar



.
 
Try going on to co-codamol instead. Those 30mg tablets are so tiny you'll have a fun time trying to cut them in half! And co-codamol already has a half dose in it with the paracetamol.
 
Try going on to co-codamol instead. Those 30mg tablets are so tiny you'll have a fun time trying to cut them in half! And co-codamol already has a half dose in it with the paracetamol.

Good idea Jo.

But if I manage with only one codeine per day will that be ok?
or best not to take any codeine and change to co-codamol ?

Or - if I feel ok now (at 6 weeks) without any pain meds at all is that ok?


.




 
Jean....if you feel okay with no pain meds, you don't need them any longer. If not, Jo's suggestion is a good one...switch to something that won't make you itch. It's all about what keeps you comfortable through the remainder of your recovery.
 
Another step forward today!

I walked down to the garage and then back to the kitchen door and then to the front gate and indoors again just using two sticks and I felt quite comfortable. First time I have walked so far outside since I came home from hospital. Must admit I was a bit nervous as we have a shingle driveway and I wondered how it would feel walking on it but was ok.

I have promised Jo I will do this every day walking a little further each time - weather permitting of course.


WooHoo!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jean's home!
[Bonesmart.org] Jean's home!
[Bonesmart.org] Jean's home!
[Bonesmart.org] Jean's home!
[Bonesmart.org] Jean's home!



Well done, sis! Very well done!
 
Well done on your little walk Jean! A big milestone. Good you are committed to repeating it. That will help you gain confidence. We have the same uneven surface on our drive but it never bothered me. Just keep those sticks handy for now.

Here's hoping the weather holds for you!
 
Whooo hoooo, Jean!!! Way to go!!! You'll be running marathons in no time...:hehe:!!! Seriously...this is a great milestone and each time you walk, you'll get stronger and stronger.
 
Did my second walk today - this time I managed 4 houses up the block
and back and it felt good. It was a bit gray and cold and would have been
nicer if the sun had been shining but at least it wasn't raining.


......more tomorrow!

.
 
Good for you, Jean!!!! That's the ticket to feelin' good!!!
 
Good going Jean! Hope the weather cooperates with your new walking schedule.

How's the meds now? You're doing really well!
 
Third outing - a visit to the supermarket and my very first 'outing' since I came home from hospital. I had forgotten it was a high step into son's car but I managed. Perhaps it was not a good choice to go on a busy Saturday afternoon just before Christmas as it was very crowded and a couple of woman too busy chatting and not looking where they were going, banged their shopping trolley into my bad leg. They looked rather surprised when I shouted at them but I think I had good reason?

We did about 20 mins which was just about halfway round the store, got the things I wanted. I then felt I'd done enough and we went back to the car.

My hip was no problem at all despite the bump with the trolley. It is my right knee that is really achey and stiff. After six weeks it still has bruising from my op and I wonder what they did to me because it was nowhere near so bad before my hip was done. My husband cheerily said if it doesn't get better perhaps I'll need a knee op soon :shk:

Anyway, that's another step forward - and I think I need a bit of a snooze now.


.
 
Wow Jean - shopping is a biggy. Well done! You must be tired.

Isn't it amazing how rude people get in shops! I can't tell you how many times people crashed into my sticks nearly knocking me over when I was just post op. Those trolleys are lethal!

Don't worry about your knee. I had the same bruising for weeks post op. Ice it a bit if you have a chance. Things will settle soon.

Keep up the good work!
 
Boy, Jean.....that trip to the store was a HUGE milestone!!! You deserve to be tired. Now enjoy some good rest to rebuild for the next trip out. You are doing so well....
 
:thmb::jump: Congratulations Jean on so many major milestones.

The walking does get easier day by day and the shopping.. isn't it great to be out in a store again. I too got bumped by a trolley.. a rude man at the checkout.:shk:. but no damage was done..

I am so happy for you.. isn't this operation a miracle! When I was out the other day walking, I felt so much gratitude for this surgery and thanked God for giving me a second chance to really enjoy the rest of my years:thmb: I'm not even at the 3 month mark yet and I can do most things quite easily.

You will be doing the same very soon...
 
Thanks Jo, Jamie and Sylvia - I must admit I do feel very pleased with myself and I am amazed at how much I can do.
I just have to remind myself about not picking things up from the floor because I have done once or twice- with seemingly no bad effects although I mentally slap my wrist for doing so! I see Mr Tucker on Thursday and hoping he will say the bending restriction is lifted. My son says he doesn't think I walk well enough yet to start driving again - but we will see what the top man says :D

I am glad to say my taste is coming back slowly and I can even enjoy a cup of tea now. The meds situation continues to be a problem as I am still going mad with the itches although I haven't taken any pain meds for nearly a week. The only thing I am taking extra to the pills I have taken for years is Gliclazide which they started me on in hospital as my blood sugars were so out of control. So, as per usual, I looked on the internet re side effects and guess what? one of the main siide effects could be itching!!!
 
Today was my post-op appointment but Mr Tucker was elsewhere and I saw Mr Macnamara his registrar - a very nice fella! He obviously looked at my scar and said it was healing very well but he was quite concerned that there was still quite a lump under the scar and that it was still red and felt hot. He said it looks like a haematoma and he wants me to have a blood test next week. Appointment to see him again in 4 weeks (Christmas day eh ?:hehe: ) but if the blood test is not ok he will "drag me in straight away" - his words.

Of course I am now quite anxious about this and realise this must be why it still hurts. I have been looking on the internet to see what sort of treatment is available and find it could well be surgery :skp:

and because of this I forgot to ask him if I could relax the 90o bending and also if/when I can drive again. Hoping to be able to ring him tomorrow to ask these questions.

Well, not quite as satisfactory as I had hoped and I shall worry until I get blood test results now!

I did ask Mr Macnamara if it was Mr Tucker or him that had actually done my operation and he said he did let Mr Tucker help adding "he (Mr Tucker) might make something of himself one day" .
 
Cheeky lad!

The treatment for a haematoma is to treat it a bit like a boil - incision and drainage. But your's would be so old now, it would be hardened into fibrous tissue so I&D would be inappropriate. What he was saying was that if your bloods weren't okay - as in showing signs of infection - he would drag you in for intravenous antibiotics. This kind of thing - having a query which may or may not become something - is not at all uncommon. But I think he's just being over-cautious. Not that there's anything wrong with that except that it gives you this thing to worry about. But better to have it cleared up than left, eh?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom