Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

There will be some up and down. I was on Tylenol three times a day, taking my middle dose at 2 pm for several weeks. My goal was to get back to my pre-surgical twice a day routine (I still have a knee that needs to be replaced, and that's primarily what I take the Tylenol for now). For the last week or so I was on the three times a day routine, I'd get the alert for my 2 pm dose, but if I wasn't near the bottle or I'd forgotten to bring it with me, I let it slip. I'd find I needed to take something by five, but by then, it was almost too late, so I'd let it slip (or maybe I'd take it -- it depended on how I was feeling). By nine or ten, when I would normally take my evening dose, I was sometimes uncomfortable. It was hit and miss for a week or so, then I finally was comfortable with the twice daily routine, and I killed my reminder alarm for the afternoon dose.
 
That's fantastic re your aid-free walk in the park. Sounds wonderful, glad you enjoyed it.
 
Tramadol never worked for me but you should take your pain pills on time. We all feel like superman then overdue. Only you can know how your body will react. Sounds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work:yes!:
 
@jbrooklyn - Sounds like a great morning!! Good for you!! Can't talk to the pain meds, except that I'm trying to see if I can get by without the narcotics today. We'll see. Waited 2 extra hours before I took Ibuprophen and Tylenol this AM.. Time will tell. Looking forward to hearing what others say. :)
 
Happy Monday. Closing in on 6 weeks post-BTKR, and continuing to experience a surprising reduction in pain. Yesterday I took 1-2 (I forget) of my usual pain pills and covered the rest of the day with tramadol. This morning, I took 2 tramadol . . . zero of my stronger meds. Feeling fine so far. Wow.

Walking up stairs is feeling better each day. Walking down stsirs, I have to force myself to use both legs equally; my right leg wants to be babied, but there's no good reason for it, so I'm gently pushing back and taking the stairs slowly, but using both knees to get down. So far, so good.

I have done zero PT exercises in a week . . . and only one day of PT (my last in-home lesson) in the last 3 weeks. These last 3 weeks of rest and relaxation (but a decent amount of walking, because I love walking) have yielded the largest gain in ROM and comfort. Loving this.

Looking forward to my 6-week post-op appt this Thursday, and getting cleared for driving, and getting my car back from my brother's driveway (where it's been for my recovery time, b/c there are lots of parking issues on the streets of Brooklyn).

Wishing a good day and start of the week for one and all. :-)
 
Happy Monday. Closing in on 6 weeks post-BTKR, and continuing to experience a surprising reduction in pain. Yesterday I took 1-2 (I forget) of my usual pain pills and covered the rest of the day with tramadol. This morning, I took 2 tramadol . . . zero of my stronger meds. Feeling fine so far. Wow.

Walking up stairs is feeling better each day. Walking down stsirs, I have to force myself to use both legs equally; my right leg wants to be babied, but there's no good reason for it, so I'm gently pushing back and taking the stairs slowly, but using both knees to get down. So far, so good.

I have done zero PT exercises in a week . . . and only one day of PT (my last in-home lesson) in the last 3 weeks. These last 3 weeks of rest and relaxation (but a decent amount of walking, because I love walking) have yielded the largest gain in ROM and comfort. Loving this.

Looking forward to my 6-week post-op appt this Thursday, and getting cleared for driving, and getting my car back from my brother's driveway (where it's been for my recovery time, b/c there are lots of parking issues on the streets of Brooklyn).

Wishing a good day and start of the week for one and all. :)

Tried stairs just once so far, looking for something about a week ago I thought might be in the attic. Went up and down the conservative way - up with the good, down with the bad - but I think I can do it the regular way now, if I need to. My 6-week appointment is next week, but I got driving clearance from my doc via telephone last week, as long as I'm off the narcotic meds for at least 8 hours. Don't take them very often, anyway, so I've already driven solo a few times. Really helps your attitude to get that simple freedom back. Still holding off on taking our puppy for a walk; she's a strong little girl, and I'm still just a little shaky at times with balance. Don't want to risk any setbacks at this stage.

Let us know how your appointment goes. We're all ears - and knees, of course. :tada:

@jbrooklyn - Sounds like a great morning!! Good for you!! Can't talk to the pain meds, except that I'm trying to see if I can get by without the narcotics today. We'll see. Waited 2 extra hours before I took Ibuprophen and Tylenol this AM.. Time will tell. Looking forward to hearing what others say. :)

Only take the heavy pain stuff when I'm low on or out of Tramadol, and then just 1 pill before bed. I just got a new Tramadol supply yesterday, and only take 2 every 12 hours. Actually think I could get by without it, but don't want to push my luck before my 6-week doc appointment on the 18th. Sending good vibes your way on your attempt to get off the heavies. :thumb:
 
@brooklyn . Sounds like you are doing great. I am still taking Norco but a lower dose and sometimes forget to take it. Tylenol Extra Strength seems to work pretty good for me. I hope you get cleared for driving. Please be careful and maybe start with small trips to see how comfortable you are getting in and out of the car. I have a Kia Soul so it's a easy in and out. I started driving on side streets with less traffic. Have fun :happydance:
 
Good morning, friends.

Yesterday had my 6-week post-op appointment with my OS, who says all looks great. I've got S&N Legion knees--good to know what model! I'd been really curious.

I've been totally off my strong pain meds for 9 days now. Have been taking Tramadol just 3 times a day--works great. Nice to give my digestive tract a break from the stronger stuff.

My ROM is 125 and flex is 0 on both sides. Doc said that's better than the average ROM at one year, yippee. He congratulated me on my work to get this, and I was too shy to let him know all I've done is lie around with my cryocuff and watch netflix for 6 weeks. I've done ONLY the PT that the visiting PT guy asked of me during our sessions . . . I did not do any of the sets and reps he assigned me. :) I do have to find a way to tell the doc, because I credit the Bonesmart "easy does it" method of healing, and others should know about it.

I've been riding the subway, driving a bit. All is well. Good to get back to normal by increments.

My ongoing issue with the numb right heel is no better. I'll be getting a spine MRI to see if there's a compressed nerve or just what.

I will start outpatient PT later this month. My quad strength is so low, I still need to stand by pushing off from the chair with my arms--a mental image of my late, great grandma leaps to mind whenever I do this. As much as I loved her, I do not want to stand like an 87 year old when I am 52. So need to build up the quad strength that has dissipated over years of babying arthritic knees.
 

Two questions for anyone who can field them:

When will my new knees be healed up enough to start working on quad strength in earnest? Should I give it 3 months? 6 months? a year?
I'm happy to be patient and do not want to screw up my knees. Not a fan of pain and bootcamp mentality. I just want to regain my former mobility as much as possible, at some point.

What about jogging? Of course the standard advice is no way. But I have read studies about TKR folks jogging, and at least one study showed no harm from running in moderation. Who can comment from expertise or personal experience?

I used to run marathons, and kept in shape since being a teenager by running. Giving up distance running due to arthritis was a disaster both morale-wise and health-wise. I would dearly love to run just a 3-mile loop around the park 2-3 times a week. If I can get to that, it would make a world of difference to my self-esteem and also my cardio health. What do you think, guys? When? Ever?

Thank you kindly.
 
Good morning, friends.

Yesterday had my 6-week post-op appointment with my OS, who says all looks great. I've got S&N Legion knees--good to know what model! I'd been really curious.

I've been totally off my strong pain meds for 9 days now. Have been taking Tramadol just 3 times a day--works great. Nice to give my digestive tract a break from the stronger stuff.

My ROM is 125 and flex is 0 on both sides. Doc said that's better than the average ROM at one year, yippee. He congratulated me on my work to get this, and I was too shy to let him know all I've done is lie around with my cryocuff and watch netflix for 6 weeks. I've done ONLY the PT that the visiting PT guy asked of me during our sessions . . . I did not do any of the sets and reps he assigned me. :) I do have to find a way to tell the doc, because I credit the Bonesmart "easy does it" method of healing, and others should know about it.

I've been riding the subway, driving a bit. All is well. Good to get back to normal by increments.

My ongoing issue with the numb right heel is no better. I'll be getting a spine MRI to see if there's a compressed nerve or just what.

I will start outpatient PT later this month. My quad strength is so low, I still need to stand by pushing off from the chair with my arms--a mental image of my late, great grandma leaps to mind whenever I do this. As much as I loved her, I do not want to stand like an 87 year old when I am 52. So need to build up the quad strength that has dissipated over years of babying arthritic knees.
Excellent report and great progress. Proud of you, JBrook. I can't get close to 125 flex, even with assistance, but my PT has already started the quad strengthening program. My 6-week follow up is next Tuesday, and I hope my doc is as pleased as yours.

As far as running, that should be up to you and your doc. If I can play tennis, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to run. I would pick a soft, spongy track, unless you prefer the cross country route. I did a lot of 5 and 10Ks back in the day before the heat and humidity got to me; those runs got me in the best shape of my life.:fasthorse:
 
Thank you, @Rob 68. Sending good vibes for your 6-week checkup next week! Betting your doc will be pleased. I am a fairly loose-limbed person by design, hence the good ROM. Probably you will never do the novel-reading exercise I prescribed for you, but if you were to try it, I bet your ROM would increase a bunch. What limits ROM is largely post-op swelling--so if you baby the knee in early weeks/months, swelling goes down and ROM gets better.

I do hope to run just a bit someday--thank you for the encouragement. I live across from a lovely park with a 3.2 mile loop. I could run mostly on grass . . . but this is still weeks away for me. I am still pretty sore, though it is nice to feel it as tissue soreness instead of bone soreness.

For what it is worth, I think the classic advice on all this is that doubles tennis is okay, but not singles, and not running/jogging. I may just try flouting that someday, not soon . . . proceeding with caution. I don't know. A friend also my age with no knee probs tells me that running does not feel good to her generally at this age--too much jostling. So maybe it will feel all wrong whenever I do give it a go. For now I am afraid to even try one little hop or stride. But maybe one day. :-)
 
Great update and great progress. My PTs have tried to get me started on strengthening exercises but they irritate my knee so I've backed right off. One of the advisors on here told me 3 months before doing much strength work.
 
@brooklyn . Sounds like you are doing great . No need to tell your OS what you have been doing. Resting is the best thing with ice. After 9 weeks I still have a few problems. Jogging puts to much strain on your knees. Mine suggested a bike. It is less stress on your knees. I see my OS on Tuesday to schedule my right knee. At least by the holidays I will be better:flwrysmile:
 
I was at 4 months when PTs added some weight, just pushing the weights really. @jbrooklyn my heel was numb for a few months, then the numbness turned to pain and plantar fasciitis. I've been stretching, icing my heel and wearing orthoheel sandals. Even driving hurt my right heel.
If I had been a runner I'd forgo running for biking or maybe race walking? There was a runner on here a while ago having problems with her implant due to running. Some runners have tried the expensive Zero Runner machine.
 
@KarriB . I had to have surgery on both feet due to planter fascists. It was so much easier than the knee. I was up and walking the same day with a special ugly shoe. It was worth it. I hardly ever had to take the Viocoden except at night so I could sleep.:alarm:
 
Yesterday on another thread, Jo mentioned four months at the earliest to begin weight work. Remember to start low and build slowly.

Regarding running, consider looking into the ZeroRunner, but if you want to be outside, begin with walking. Consider KarriB's racewalking suggestion. That's a heck of a workout, and it shouldn't pound your knees as much. Then, if you and your OS agree, begin a walk/run program to slowly build to your goal.
 
You are doing great. I am facing the question of trying to exercise the quads also. I was given a sheet of exercises this morning - clamshells, some different types of knee extensions, etc. I think I am going to casually try a few, and see what my knee thinks the next day. Then build up slowly. I know the prevalent consensus is to wait until 12 weeks, but my quads never really lost their strength, so hope I may suffer no ill effects from just maintaining them. Ditto on walking. I am increasing in tiny short increments, and all good. Running or jogging is not in the cards for me, with my fused ankle. I used to love running - was on the track team in high school - and I totally get why you miss it. I would guess that the key is not to pound the knee. Can you move fluidly enough to not jar the implant?

Wishing you continued good progress. And a terrific weekend!
 
Thank you, @Rob 68. Sending good vibes for your 6-week checkup next week! Betting your doc will be pleased. I am a fairly loose-limbed person by design, hence the good ROM. Probably you will never do the novel-reading exercise I prescribed for you, but if you were to try it, I bet your ROM would increase a bunch. What limits ROM is largely post-op swelling--so if you baby the knee in early weeks/months, swelling goes down and ROM gets better.

I do hope to run just a bit someday--thank you for the encouragement. I live across from a lovely park with a 3.2 mile loop. I could run mostly on grass . . . but this is still weeks away for me. I am still pretty sore, though it is nice to feel it as tissue soreness instead of bone soreness.

For what it is worth, I think the classic advice on all this is that doubles tennis is okay, but not singles, and not running/jogging. I may just try flouting that someday, not soon . . . proceeding with caution. I don't know. A friend also my age with no knee probs tells me that running does not feel good to her generally at this age--too much jostling. So maybe it will feel all wrong whenever I do give it a go. For now I am afraid to even try one little hop or stride. But maybe one day. :)
I wasn't deliberately ignoring your advice, JBrook. I was ready to jump into that mode as soon as what we were doing at PT started hurting more than helping. Thing is, what they were doing worked, and I did not feel any additional pain, just a little more discomfort. And when I got too tired, I did take your advice up to a point, mostly the rest in bed part. I already read Moby Dick and The Count of Monte Cristo, but I have a trove of books here in case I need them to while away any hours when/if the pain finally arrives.

PT went great today; reached the OS's magic number of 115 on my own, and with PT assistance, got to 126. Not quite in your territory yet, but I'm trying my best. She then put me through the paces with movement exercises based on the lateral movements required in tennis. Tired me out, but felt a little stronger afterward. Drove there myself, too. One more PT Monday, then to the OS office on Tuesday to see what he thinks. Should get the first x-ray of Rafa then, too.

I did get the doubles speech, along with the "play smarter, not harder" lecture. But even doubles requires quick direction changes, twists and turns, etc. And I need to check into the benefits/hazards of playing more on clay than hard courts. I play like I play, and if I only get 10 years out of Rafa, then so be it.

I do hope you get to run some. I often wish I had started running earlier; perhaps I could have avoided the heat exhaustion problems that forced me to curtain, then quit my running and concentrate on tennis. Always felt great after a 6 or 7 mile run, inside or out. Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that I am now sleeping on my right side with no problems; seems my knee reacts better to a level bed than a raised one. It's not as stiff in the mornings now, which gives me a little head start. All in all, I'm feeling pretty good about this.
 
Back
Top Bottom