Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

I'll be curious to see what they say about your numb heel. That's how mine started, but the more I walked the more it began to hurt and not be numb. I thought all along it was nerve damage. They're saying its plantar fasciitis, but my foot doesn't hurt in the same place as most with plantar fasciitis. Only my heel hurts, not my arch, however it does feel better with orthodic shoes.
I didn't have a BTKR, but I totally understand how you feel. Because of my infection the recovery was longer and even now my leg becomes very tired after a long day. Last night I went to a Pirate game and took my cane because of the crowds, stairs and amount of walking. I'm glad I can do what I want, but would love to be without the cane. Of course it would help if the heel didn't hurt so much.
 
So sorry you are down. I know the feeling all to well. After 3 months I thought I would feel great. I still am in pain and also wonder if it was worth it. Big hugs on the way. :doggie:
 
@jbrooklyn
You're only 2 months into a year-long recovery! I know what a trial of patience this recovery is, and you with bilaterals as well, but things are going to get better. It won't happen fast, but it will happen.

You'll feel a lot different at 4 months out from how you feel right now. Your healthy, working knees are going to come back - and without the constant pain of arthritis now.

I think you're at the peak of frustration right now, but hang in there - things are going to get better. If you can just be patient and gentle with yourself and your knees for a while longer, it will pay off, big time.
 
I'm at 2 months today so a heck of a lot of what you're saying resonates with me. Especially the feeling that you've aged 50 years, I could not agree more. I've sat on this sofa with my leg on some cushions for hours and hours and hours this summer wondering if I'd ever feel like me again. We are only 8-9 weeks out though and we know that realistically our knees are still in their infancy. But we want our lives back to how we think they should be now, don't we? Like you I haven't seem much improvement over the past 3 weeks either. But, today I've been out shopping for clothes and shoes for the first time since my surgery and I honesty don't think I could have done it 3 weeks ago. Was my knee perfect? Not at all - still got tight bands, still limping, still had to sit down a few times to rest. But I did it and it was better than I thought it would be. So, guess I'm just trying to say that I get it and that we have to hang on in there and in another 3 weeks things will have improved again. I'm not icing much either now, just when my knee feels sore and need resting. No need to apologise, keep ranting as you need to.
 
Thank you all so much! It really does help to have others who can talk from experience. I really, really appreciate it.

@KarriB, so sorry about your plantar fasciitis! Really not fair to pile on with the TKR! I hope it resolves.
 
I have had both an unfair advantage and possibly had a stalled recovery these past two weeks as I have had to stay off my feet due to the blood blister on my toe. So no discomfort or frustration, but when I get the go ahead Tuesday for a more active life I am going to be taking very small baby steps to my once and future life. Very afraid of the tedonitis you are suffering from. Think I will continue my streak of laziest recoverer. Thanks for sharing, and of course it is frustrating to have to be so careful and then have setbacks despite your caution. Sorry you will miss your Labor Day get together. I am hoping for Thanksgiving to be ok and for Christmas to be great!
 
I think they did an EMG to diagnose my carpal tunnel syndrome. It's a strange test. It injected impulses that made my hand jump with short little electrical shocks. It didn't really hurt, and I found it rather fascinating. Not something I'd want to do again and again mind you, but interesting all the same.
 
My heel has started hurting, too, and I've been wondering if it's similar to plantar fascitis (but, like KarriB, it doesn't hurt the way plantar fascitis usually hurts). I thought my heel discomfort was related to the 4" concrete block that slid across my ankle a couple weeks ago, but listening to everyone here, maybe it isn't.
 
I honestly think they don't know what's wrong with my heel. It does feel better when I stretch, ice and wear orthotics. But spend a whole day on my feet in regular shoes and I'm in pain, just shuffling along. My heel started tingling after my TKR, then numbness and then pain.
 
It could be orthotics, too. I had to remove my custom orthotics for my left foot after the TKR, and I haven't asked to get new molds made for that foot yet.
 
I bought Vionic sandals/flip flops for the summer. They have a strong orthotic built in and have been great for summer. I've always preferred sneakers, but these have been great. You can find them on line at zappos or QVC. Next will be Vionic slippers.
 
So I'm coming up on 2 full months, July 1 to Sept 1. I know rationally that it takes a long time to heal and regain abilities, but at age 52 I feel like I'm 102 a lot of the time--and the rational mind is no match for the gut feeling that somehow I've added 50 years to my age and it will never go away--it's hard on my ego and hard physically, too. My knees hurt all the time. Sitting down and standing up, and going down stairs all hurt like heck, leaving them in one position for more than 5 min, finding a comfy sleeping position . . . ouch, whether or not I've taken Tramadol.

Will I always have to plan my movements, find the only place in the room where I can stand back up if I sit down, only be out for 2-3 hours at a time on carefully chosen missions lest my knees rebel for a full week afterward? I know the answer is no, but it's been 3 weeks or so since I've experienced noticeable improvements, and I seem to be caught in the doldrums.

I am wondering whether ice is still the right thing--it doesn't seem to do anything. Nothing does, really. Waaah. Okay, end of rant.

@jbrooklyn You are singing my song!!! I feel like such an old lady. I have a bridal shower coming up next Saturday so I have been doing a lot more during the days, running errands, etc. and I am in pain! I had to sleep on the couch again last night because my knees hurt to put pressure on them when I was laying on my side (the couch is soft, bed is firm). I hate having to scope out seating wherever I go, looking for a chair with cushion and arms, oh and not too low please! Getting up is ouchy, standing is ouchy, walking too much is ouchy, and the list goes on. We are both at exactly 2 months and it seems like we should be further along.

I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse that my OS said I should be doing the PT stretches and exercises for a year (A YEAR), to make sure my rehab is complete.

Ranting with you my BTKR buddy!
 
Hi, friends! I have a weird question.

My legs are feeling noticeably pain-free walking on flat surfaces--really feels great. Stairs and sitting/standing still hard, but I will get my quads back in shape someday and that should abate. But I have a new-ish distinct problem, and wondering what's up, and if others have this, too:

Lately when I am lying down, the insides of my knees ache like crazy--it feels like it due to their being unsupported. When you are standing, your knee is firmly engaged and weight-bearing. When you're lying down, your joint is unsupported and is much looser, and in this lying down position, both my knees ache like the dickens lately. This just started happening recently post-op, though this reclining pain is familiar from before surgery, and an orthopedic doc explained that it was from the weak joint being just sort of in hangout mode, loose and unengaged.

It is NOT ODIC pain--different kind of ache, and when I stand up, it solves the problem; my knees seem to prefer standing and walking over lying down, recliner, etc. right now. I have been putting a very soft pillow down as a sort of nest for support, but the inner side of the knees still ache quite a bit--and if I stand, the ache goes away.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about here? Is it a phase of recovery? It's made falling sleep really hard the past few days, and if I wake up in the night, forget it. Is it that I'm reducing pain meds and just noticing this? I don't think so because 2 Tramadols do not take away this ache. If it is a typical recovery symptom, how long will it last?

I hope I've described it decently. There are so many different aches and pains in store for us tkr folks . . . pre-op and post-op. I think there should be 100 different words for knee pain, at least, you know? I think every part of both of my knees has hurt in every way possible over the past 4 years pre-op, and over the past 2 months post-op. Alas. Anyhow I am feeling good about how it feels to walk--just can't believe that lying down feels hard now!

In other news, @LHop, a friendly shoutout for our ouchy 2-monthiversary. Here's to 3 months being the charm--my OS promised that 3 months would be the time I'd start being sure it was the right thing to do. If so, bring it on. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have some pain in my knees when lying on my side. It feels like it's putting pressure on my knees and can ache something fierce. I don't think that sounds like the same thing though.
In other news, @LHop, a friendly shoutout for our ouchy 2-monthiversary. Here's to 3 months being the charm--my OS promised that 3 months would be the time I'd start being sure it was the right thing to do. If so, bring it on. :)
Back at ya Buddy! I sure hope the 3 month mark brings some noticeable improvement!
 
I have that same pain when lying in bed but only at night. I have started using heat and that seems to relieve the achy feeling. I am using it right now after a particularly sleepless night. I am 7 weeks post-op. At 4 weeks my OS's PA gave me lorazepam to help relax my muscles and sleep. I stopped taking it because it is really addictive. But I did get a couple of weeks of restful sleep. I see my OS on Tuesday and I am going to ask him about it.

Like you I also am not always sure I have done the right thing, but what choice did we have...except a descent into more and more disability. My husband reminds me of that when I get weepy, which seems to be less often these days.
 
Thanks so much, @Wanttobebiking! I would love to hear what your doc says about this yucky pain. More and more I don't know whether to ice or try heat or just grin and bear it.
 
"They're saying its plantar fasciitis, but my foot doesn't hurt in the same place as most with plantar fasciitis. Only my heel hurts, not my arch, however it does feel better with orthodic shoes."

When I had plantar fascia several years ago, it was only my heel that hurt--no problem with my arch. I used a nubby ball and work it under the heel several times a day--hurts "good!" Also alternating heating and icing will help; as will stretching the hamstrings.
 
@Wanttobebiking, just wanted to mention that my PT today said this pain is still tissue healing from the surgery, and in a month it should feel better. Since it's swelling, she recommended ice and not heat just yet. Let's compare notes after you talk to your OS!
 
Hey There,

Thanks for the info. I asked my very young PT if I could use heat and she said sure whatever works. I don't have much obvious swelling anymore though, just that crazy achy feeling at night. I use both. Right now I am icing, always a good time to check into Bonesmart. There is an old forum on here about heat vs. icing and I think it concluded personal preference after so many weeks. I hope my doc says I can use hear because it is the only thing that offers relief. I don't want to do anything that hurts my knee, though, but man do I need to sleep better.

Sometimes icing seems to make my knee stiff while heat loosens it up. My whole body seems to need both ice and heat after 7 weeks of no real exercise. I have PT tomorrow and I am going to ask about the nighttime achiness specifically. Back to you soon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom