Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

@Raffs, yep, we and lots of other folks here know this tune. We will get through this--just gotta get in the slow lane and keep heading in the right direction.
 
@iivesfam5, I wanted to pop in and say hello to you, and cannot find your recovery thread. Is it just a site glitch?

Regardless, would love to hear a status update . . . How you doing? How is part-time work going? How have you been faring since your loyal husband returned to work? Sending positive thoughts your way. :-)
 
Very late coming to this thread. I also had trouble getting pain meds strong enough for my pain and on time. When I got to rehab, I had one nurse who would shame me every time I asked. I was allotted Oxycontin (I think thats the name) every 12 hours and another Oxysomething every 3 hours. I needed that med EVERY 3 HOURS! Most of the RN's were great and would bring it when requested. One nurse however would take her time and I might get it an hour after I asked. Then she would make comments to me about how it would make me constipated or how I should only take half of the dosage. It really made me mad. I finally told her that it wasn't up to her whether I took the med or not. It was between my doctor and me to decide if I needed it. We locked horns the entire time I was there. Obviously people who shame us or deny us our pain meds have never been in pain. All I can say is that karma is rough. Their time will come.
 
@tdh_1, yes, it is truly weird how common it is for healthcare folks to have this judging, puritanical attitude about pain meds. If they were feeling the bone-deep pain, they would certainly have a different stance. I understand that there is a lot of talk these days about addiction, but only 3 in 1000 people who take pain meds for pain ever develop any dependency issues. There's also so much compelling data that supports pain management as a vital tool in recuperation. The better you feel, the quicker you heal, basically. So these Scrooge-y folks actually have the wrong idea . . . as well as being unempathetic to a suffering person who is depending on them. I still have to write a letter to my surgeon and hospital about the PA who was an obstacle to effective pain management for me on Day 2 post-surgery. I've been trying to let time go by so I can be calm and professional in that important correspondence.

Have a great day. How are you doing with your recovery from BTKR? If Bonesmart is new to you, you've made a wonderful discovery. :)
 
@tdh_1 It is so frustrating that we have to deal with these views regarding our pain management. My MIL advised I get off my Oxy ASAP because it's the gateway to heroin (I had to LOL). My OS said my body is probably already addicted. I have to switch over to getting my pain meds from my GP next and I know she's not a fan of pain meds either, so I;m not looking forward to that. It's hard to do the PT when you're in pain already. It's a catch 22.

@jbrooklyn Things I look forward to: walking without consciously remember to bend my knees or where my foot is going, not having to request/look for chairs with arms so I can get out of them, no more ice (or at least very little), taking a bath (I could get in the tub, but not out), sleeping on my side, and of course....not having to think about pain meds or pain at all!
 
@LHop--Yes to every single one of those! Also sometimes I forget myself and sit somewhere too low and cushy . . . then it's tough (and can be embarrassing) to get up. Like you I am really missing baths. I asked my PT guy when I'll be up to that and he said now. I said, no sir. Not sure I could get in, and know it would be very hard and maybe dangerous to get out. Maybe a bath can be our medium-term shared goal! (To be clear: a solo bath but shared goal. :-) LOL.) Are you itching for little outings? I have been! They have to be chosen carefully for appropriate seating, transportation, etc. . . . but getting out has never seemed more appealing than it does now. Have a peaceful day today.

Where oh where is @iivesfam5? She's back at work so hasn't been here in a few days, which is a-okay of course . . . but her recovery thread seems to have gone missing.
 
I clicked on @iivesfam5 and it says she hasn't been seen since Saturday. Hoping she's just been busy.

@jbrooklyn my only moments of discomfort almost 2 years out is getting up and out of chairs or sofas. My dad is 3 and 15 years out of TKRs and he struggles also especially with low furniture. I'm considering buying furniture lifters to make my sofa slightly higher.
 
I can't find her thread either - it looks like it has vanished....weird.....
 
Hi there-
Short 5 week report. First, @iivesfam5, miss you! Then, thank you to @Braunzie, I am quite well. My mom is still not great, but I'll be seeing here again soon, thanks. New PT hasn't started due to red tape. Should begin this week or so. Hoping all remains positive with you.

Is anyone good at estimating ROM? Here's a pic from me this evening . . . in a particularly flexible moment. My PT hasn't measured ROM since my first week home from hospital. Anyone good at eyeballing it? Thanks. :-)

[Bonesmart.org] jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.
 
Someone here had an app that would measure ROM, try the App Store. I'm no good at eyeballing ROM.
 
That is cool. Thanks, @KarriB! I downloaded a couple of digital app goniometers, but heck if I can figure out how to use them. Still think this is cool, and I will just wait till I go to PT next to check out the ROM. :-) Have a good night! Hope you are well.
 
Thanks, @jbrooklyn , getting ready to go back to school soon. I'll miss my swimming in a few weeks and will just be riding my bike. Soon you'll be maneuvering the subways!
I always considered it good if my calf touched my thigh. I don't even know what my ROM was when I left PT! All I cared about was my everyday living. I can ride my bike, swim, walk, I'm happy no matter the number. Originally my OS said he'd be happy if I reached 90 because it was straight for so long (my immbolizer had steel bars) so the fact that I can do all those things is very good. Getting up off the floor is hard for me, so I try not to fall and did all my pt on the spare bed.
 
Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she is getting excellent care and recovers quickly. All your Bmart friends are pulling for her. Did you try that phone app? If so, I would appreciate a review. Would really be nice to have some idea of how we do on our own. I got a regressive reading yesterday, but it was from a different PT than my regular one, who is on vacation this week. This one was busy with her regular patients and didn't get around to my measurement until I was finished with every exercise and my muscles were fatigued. She had me do the knee stretches early, And my knees were stiff again by the time she measured. I was not pleased, to say the least.
 
@KarriB, wow, the idea of calf touching thigh . . . I cannot even imagine at 5 weeks! Hats off, and thanks for reminding me that is how human legs ordinarily work--I had forgotten, truly. :-)

@Rob 68, sounds like No Fun in PT Land for you this week--sorry about that, but don't despair. You have not actually regressed, no way--it's just a data blip. The ROM measuring device is called a goniometer, and there are several in the app store for free (or free versions of paid tools). I just can't figure out how to use them! Maybe you can.

I'm hitting red tape trying to get outpatient PT set up. I expressed annoyance at the inefficiency--OS script, PCP approval, scheduling first appointment all taking several calls, people on vacation, etc. Is it wrong to think that some one point person, perhaps at the PT facility, since they need clients to survive, could lay out the "here's what you need to do" list, so I don't keep thinking it's all done, and then find out, via no action from anyone, that there is something else to attend to. Anyway, just carping here--it should be all settled sometime this week, and meanwhile, I am NOT complaining about missing a week of PT.

Today will be a "big" day for me . . . yikes. Heading on subway and bus to see my mom. She's in her 80s, ill, and 90-ish min away, and I just have to go. Bringing ice bags, pain meds, a crutch (and I should bring a St. Christopher medal, too!). I know I can do it--it's just a matter of what shape I will be in upon return. Please send good mojo for getting a seat on the subway and getting a double seat to myself in the bus so i can sit with straight legs. Then hoping to be home when kiddo gets home from camp at 3:30! Please wish me well. I know I have the energy to do this . . . but if I have to stand or scrunch into a single seat, it might be a rough trip.
 
Wow, you are a brave lady! I'm not ready to face the London Underground yet. It's not the actual train I'm worried about, more the escalators and numerous stairs - and the crowds of impatient people pushing and shoving. Have a great visit with your mom and sending lots of good wishes. Use your crutch as a weapon if you have to!!! Update later if you can to let us know how it went.

Bend looking great!! Hubby now downloading an app - will let you know if he figures out how to use it.
 
Be careful @jbrooklyn and enjoy the time with your mom. With the bend of my knee, I could just have very fat calves and thighs which is why they touched! The crutch or cane will let gentlemen know you are need of a seat. When I use my cane I find people are very helpful and polite.
 
Wow, brave lady, @jbrooklyn. But exactly what I would do in the same situation.
Take your time and watch those other people, some of whom may not recognize that you need some space and consideration. Admire your courage and determination. You can do it.

Bad or even worse, lackadaisical, PTs should not be tolerated. If they don't have enough people to cover vacations, etc., they should not over-schedule the remaining PTs just to please the insurance companies. Patient care quality should be the dominant part of the equation. As so many on this forum have said so often, they work for us, and truth be told, once they show us the proper way to do the exercises, the only reason we need them is to report the measurement accurately. We can do most of the exercises at home.

Rant over. Have inside house painters coming this morning, so it will be chaos in our house for a while yet. Stay safe and careful, JBrook.
 
Hey, one hot mamma with those legs! Your bend looks great to me. Good luck with your visit to see your mother. I would have suggested wearing a mask over your mouth and coughing a lot on the public transport - might work better at keeping people at bay than the cane! Good to see you are doing so well. When you get home do nothing but baby your knee. You will do great, and your visit will be the best medicine for your mother.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom