Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

@jbrooklyn best of luck on the subway. I panic using the subway in New York just because I'm never sure where I'm going. Hopefully the times you'll be on the trains won't be too busy. It should be an experience to say the least. And @Slainte you are so funny...bring on the masks! Isn't the Legionaire's Disease in New York somewhere?
 
Thanks, my friends! I'm waiting for bus, which means that 2 crowded subways and one giant bus terminal are behind me with success. Thanks for cheering me on. I appreciate the moral support. You guys really are the best. I did not have to resort to hitting people with my crutch, but I did have to give a sort of hard-boiled stare to somebody to get them to give me their seat.
This is where being a NYer comes in handy.

Sadly, Legionnaires disease is indeed in NYC right now, but only in Bronx. Not on today's itinerary. But my good thoughts go to the folks up there. I have read that the city has responded more slowly to the outbreak than might have been ideal.

As soon as I board the bus, the ice packs come out of my backpack. Looking forward to that!
 
You are amazing for getting out and about! I think you need a warrior helmet and sword/cane so you can clear out anyone that gets in your path...lol! That's awesome you are going to see your mom - I hope she is doing better and you both have a great visit.

I don't know about ROM but that knee bend looks great to me! That's probably more than I can bend my knees at the moment...lol! Were your knees that flexible before the surgery? I'm just curious if that is an improvement on before surgery or similar. I feel like my knees are still fairly flexible but the OS didn't measure anything when I was there.

I know what you mean about the frustration over the PT thing. I've felt many times like I was reinventing the wheel with trying to get something for my son (who has type 1 diabetes) and when you hit that paperwork roadblock (getting all the right forms and approvals to the right places). I hope you can keep up some good home routine until that all gets straightened out. I keep having to remind myself you did BOTH knees - your recovery has been great so far!
 
@jbrooklyn - Firstly, that knee bend looks GREAT!!! I don't know what I'm talking about (full disclaimer), but if I had to guess, it looks like it has to be the better side of 115? (Curious what it actually is!)

Hope you're visit with your mom goes well and that she is feeling better.. St. Christopher sounds like he's doing a good job, but I will say an extra prayer to him.. :yes:
Looking forward to hearing how things go by the end of the day. Take care!! We're with you in spirit! :flwrysmile:
 
Braunzie, selketine, momweb, Raffs, Slainte, Rob 68: Thanks so much! The visit went smoothly, including the commute. I'm home and icing, and knees feel great. Swell! Mom was cheered to see me. Good deed done, and I feel better for it, and knees no worse for the wear. No pain, no swelling.

Rob: if YOU think what I'M doing takes guts, well, wow, okay! You seem like fearless TKR leader to the rest of us. Thanks for the props. (I do admit it was a bit daunting to set out this am.)

Tomorrow, back to usual programming . . . lots of Netflix and Candy Crush Soda Saga! Cheers, everyone. Thanks for having my back today. :yahoo:
 
Great to hear your outing went so well! I'm sure your mom loved seeing and I'm glad you're planning on an easy day tomorrow! :wowspring:
 
I'm so glad everything went well and your Mom was thrilled with your visit. I'm also glad to know you're home safe and sound. Let us know in 24 - 48 hours how your knee feels after your eventful journey.
 
Victory all around!!!! (Hope you're knee doesn't talk back to you tomorrow.. :yes:) .... and thank you, St. Christopher! :)
 
Good morning-
So even after yesterday's mission, knees feel better than 'ever' (i.e., since btkr July 1) this morning. Why? An inkling or 2, but mostly, don't know. But I'll take it!!

Pain is reduced--I didn't want to grab bottle the moment I awoke--and overall impression that I'm regaining a feeling of solidity--like I can depend on my knees being there, instead of stepping gingerly/tentatively through life.

Perhaps/probably this is because I'm finishing up a "dosepack" of methylprednisone (sp? anyhow, a steroid) taken in hopes of regaining sensation in my right heel and sole of right foot. The idea was that swelling could be compressing the nerve that supplies sensation to that foot. I don't feel a lot of improvement there--maaaaaaybe 5% restored sensation to my heel. Just a touch. It's noticeable, but not nearly sufficient--and I plan to ask whether this tiny bit of sensation means that someday (over the rainbow? feels like that from time to time, doesn't it, guys) I will get feeling back.

Meanwhile, the dosepack has reduced swelling overall, and I think that's why my knees feel extra good right now. Wondering, too, if when I stop in 2 days, the new improved me will go back to more-typical-week-6 post-TKR me. That's why I'm not calling the OS office immediately to see about replacing the heavy meds with tramadol--let's see how it feels after the prednisone has left the system. But it's nice to glimpse, even, if temporary, a life post-meds.

In other news, 6-week post-op appt is next Thursday. Now at least I know I can ride the subway to get there!

And, my mom's having a cardioversion treatment this am--it is low risk and high success rate, but the poor dear is quite nervous, understandably, so if you care to, please join me in sending her wishes for success. Thanks, guys!

Hoping for a "good" day and a "good" weekend, knee-wise, for us all.
 
Great update. Sending every good wish possible to your mom, am sure it'll go just fine.
 
Definitely sending good thoughts your mom's way.

Good report and analysis of what appears to be going on with you.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Is anyone good at estimating ROM? Here's a pic from me this evening
Easy-peasy! I make that somewhere between 115 and 120. Difficult to be more exact as I really need your hip bone (greater trochanter) and your ankle bone (lateral malleolus) to do it properly.

Like this

[Bonesmart.org] jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.
 
@jbrooklyn - So nice that you're feeling well after your excursion yesterday!! That is great! Sending prayers for a successful procedure for you mom.. Happy Friday!! :SUNsmile:
 
Good idea not to cancel the heavy duty meds, but I bet you won't need them. Best wishes for a successful outcome for your mother. You gave her the best medicine possible yesterday.
 
Quick off topic note: My mom's procedure was a success and she can now relax and will go home tomorrow feeling more energetic. Thanks once again, chums, for the good thoughts on her behalf.

TGIF! Although being on 3 months' leave, I still enjoy when the weekend comes, for some reason. :-)
 
GREAT news about your mom!! :yay: And yes, TGIF!!!!

I know I look forward to weekends, just because I know my husband will be around for 3 days (he works 4-10's) and it won't be so lonely here at the house.. (I can get hugs more often!!!! :yes!:)
 
Great news about your mom. And you would not believe how much I looked forward to this weekend after my first week back at work. My husband had the nerve to ask me to set my alarm so he could get to the gym early tomorrow. I told him he is on his own and if I happen to fortunate enough to be asleep in the morning he better tiptoe out of here. I am tired! But feeling good. Happy weekend friends!
 
Good afternoon, all--I went out for about an hour this morning, strolling with my pooch in the park, sitting on a bench here and there, with no crutch, nothing. It was fine. Yay!

Also, I took a small dose of my usual pain meds this am, but since then, trying out tramadol, and it appears to be fine . . . has anyone experienced a relatively sudden drop in pain level? Can I trust this? Just days ago, I could not wait till 4 hours was up for my next dose of meds . . . and now it's been 10 hours, with 2 tramadol holding off the pain pretty well. Again, this could be b/c I'm still tapering off a steroid course (for my numb foot, which is still pretty numb, rats). But I'm as surprised as the next guy at this relatively sudden lack of need for my previously-crucial pain meds. No complaints . . . just a bit disorienting!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom