Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

Sorry to hear about your lying down aches. I don't have anything of use to say (!) other than I hope your PT is right and it ceases to be a nuisance very soon. Other than that, I marvel at how well you are doing!
 
Hi, I asked my PT about heat for me, and she said it could cause swelling, but if the swelling resolves right away and it relieves the ache, then I should go for it. She also said the achy feeling is the muscles and other soft tissues recovering from my daily activities (about 5,000 steps, time on the trainer and or stationary bike) and still healing from my surgery. My list of questions for my OS is growing.

Slept really well last night, after a couple of hours of icing and falling asleep with heat on my knee.
 
I tried something new last week on my knees. A friend of mine brought over an essential oil called Deep Relief from Young Living. I rubbed it on the spots where it aches at night and it really seems to help. Disclaimer-I have tried an essential oil mix before for my headaches and didn't find that it worked for me, so I am someone who thinks essential oils are a cure all.
 
Good day. Please avert your eyes if you don't want to descend into the coal mines of btkr recovery.

So I'm coming up on 2 full months, July 1 to Sept 1. I know rationally that it takes a long time to heal and regain abilities, but at age 52 I feel like I'm 102 a lot of the time--and the rational mind is no match for the gut feeling that somehow I've added 50 years to my age and it will never go away--it's hard on my ego and hard physically, too. My knees hurt all the time. Sitting down and standing up, and going down stairs all hurt like heck, leaving them in one position for more than 5 min, finding a comfy sleeping position . . . ouch, whether or not I've taken Tramadol.

Will I always have to plan my movements, find the only place in the room where I can stand back up if I sit down, only be out for 2-3 hours at a time on carefully chosen missions lest my knees rebel for a full week afterward? I know the answer is no, but it's been 3 weeks or so since I've experienced noticeable improvements, and I seem to be caught in the doldrums.

Quad tendonitis is painful, and takes a long time to heal. It's there b/c my quads are weak from years of disuse, and I am so eager to build back that strength, but I can't because of this injury. Happily, my new PT is pretty clever at finding ways to exercise thigh muscles without stressing the knees--I admire her ingenuity. So there's a nice bright spot. I didn't expect much from outpatient PT, based on prior experience--but she's good, it seems. Go, Nikita! I'm impressed.

Canceled our Labor Day weekend trip because my knees rebelled so loudly last time I tried to get away to have fun. But I'll tell you what, my knees are the only part of me that doesn't think this yearly trip is a good idea. They are the boss and I'm listening to them--but I am so so sick of lying around looking at the ceiling and making only careful/short forays into the world. Bloody sick of it all and sometimes wonder if tkr was a good choice--I dearly miss my healthy working knees of recent years. Baah.

I am wondering whether ice is still the right thing--it doesn't seem to do anything. Nothing does, really. Waaah. Okay, end of rant.

In other news I saw a pain specialist/neurologist on Friday because of my numb heel. It was fascinating to see how they work--like detectives on a case, figuring out what sensations I can and cannot feel, where, etc. Next stop is an MRI of the back of my knee and a test called (I think) an EMG, which involves little needles all over the skin and electric impulses--sounds like torture, but I hope it will help. They seem to think my tibial nerve was damaged during surgery. I'll follow up with further (mis)adventures. Sorry for the descent into the dark tunnels. :)

I'm at 3 months out and STILL feel exactly like this. I am so sick and tired of it all. I still haven't decided if I've done the right thing having the knees replaced. They don't feel any better than they did prior to surgery. In fact, they still feel worse. Everyone keeps telling me I will wake up one day and realize that I feel normal. I just don't know what "normal" is.....I guess we are all in this together. There is strength in number right?
 
I'm at 3 months out and STILL feel exactly like this. I am so sick and tired of it all. I still haven't decided if I've done the right thing having the knees replaced. They don't feel any better than they did prior to surgery. In fact, they still feel worse. Everyone keeps telling me I will wake up one day and realize that I feel normal. I just don't know what "normal" is.....I guess we are all in this together. There is strength in number right?

Gosh, I haven't had nearly as a bad a time as you have. I am at exactly 8 weeks today. I am sore, because I overdid it in a yoga class on Sunday. But, on the whole, I've had more good days than bad. I can walk the dogs again, walk to the Farmers' Market, get up and down the stairs to do the laundry. I no longer think about how much I want something to weigh whether or not I am willing to stand up and walk to get it.

I'm still stiff and sore (worse these past couple of days, because of Sunday), but it's much better than the pain I was in before. That was never ending, and only got worse. This pain gets better the more I do. For instance, I had PT early this morning - and it was not fun. (youch, youch, youch, bend, bend, BEND!) We worked out some kinks, and when I got back in the car, I realized that I felt pretty great. However, after driving an hour to the office and then sitting here at my desk all day, I have lost that post-exercise limberness and have stiffened up.

I don't regret that I did it. I do wish recovery were quicker, but I know that I would be feeling worse than this had I not had the surgery in July. Although, I have not had the issues with tendonitis that you've had - so there is really no comparison between my experience and yours.

Hang in there!
 
Agree, agree, agree. The more I walk or use a stationary bike, the better I feel. Sitting at a desk is a killer.

I think we all need to remember just how much better we are doing than last month or the day after surgery. There's no going back and I'm sure we will all be happy we had the surgery eventually. Somedays, I can get there, but not there all that often, at least not yet.
 
Just a quick check in with my TKR contemporaries: Are you able to sit down and stand up with ease yet? It feels like such an important recovery hallmark, and I am nowhere near it. I don't feel I've even gotten much closer since surgery. I could not do it before, and have not done it since. I know quad strength takes a long time to regain--and I can't even start because of my dumb tendonitis--but it's getting so old to creak painfully down into a chair or subway seat, and to have to strategize and grit teeth to stand up, leaning forward, holding onto everything and pulling myself up. I basically need a crane. Anyhow, it is one of the more depressing aspects of recovery. I don't hear others remarking on it, so thought I'd ask. How are you doing with sitting down and getting back up?

@tdh_1, my OS warned me that I would hate him for 3 months. I don't of course, but I took that to mean that first 3 months would be tough, and it would let up after that. I feel like I've been in a long plateau now, since I got tendonitis at about 6 weeks. Now closing in on 10 weeks, and still in lots of discomfort . . . so I can relate to your feelings. Genuine complete recovery from this takes 6 months, 9 months, a year, or more--it depends on your knees, your healing process, what level of ability/activity you consider acceptable/normal. So hang in there, though I am definitely calling the kettle black.

Funny little story--was on subway the other day, crowded car, and the man standing near my seat noticed my scars, and asked (considerately) if I'd had BTKR. Long story short: We had the same surgeon! He had his done last year and is doing well. It was a nice coincidence, and good to hear that things feel good a year later.

I'm okay with waiting that long if I need to--I just don't want to never get better. Rationally I know we all have improved a lot and will keep improving . . . but sometimes a little irrational part of me starts worrying that I will always have a hard time maneuvering through the world, always have a short fuse because I am in pain, always using an ice machine on my knees for years on end . . .

@LHop, thanks for the recommendation of that essential oil! I'm thrilled that you have found something that offers you soothing comfort--you so richly deserve it!! My PT put some sort of awesome stuff on my knees the other day that made them feel cold and refreshed, sort of that york peppermint patty feel--but for an hour or more! Loved it. I plan to find out what it was and will share. :-)
 
I remember the length of time that it took me to recover from my BTKR. I see you are a tad over two months out---I returned to t he classroom at eight weeks, which was much too early.

I can completely commiserate with you about the length of time between the little victories---I had a slight, pesky little limp for nearly five months.

It took me six months to get to about 80%-85%, and it was not until eight months when I could say that I was close to 90%-95%.

This recovery is much like boot camp---do not look back, do not look forward---just take it one day at a time and handle the tasks at hand.

I was still icing, elevating, and resting ---especially on Sundays during your point in time in recovery---and I would do the same at night after teaching, too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I still use the chair arms for sitting and standing, and, yes, the handicapped stall in the restroom. And I do have days where it's somewhat teeth-gritting for the up and down.

The "awesome York Peppermint Patty stuff" you mentioned from your PT might be Biofreeze gel. You can purchase it on Amazon. Walmart even sells a similar product. I got turned on to it about three years ago and used it on my sore knees. Just the other day, I pulled it off the shelf and used it around my knees and it felt GREAT. You might want to give that a try. I am also using the Vitamin E Oil from Trader Joe's and loving it. I want to get some of @LHop's essential oil also! My knees are going to be the most pampered part of my body.
 
Hey, another question, friends: Has anyone tried acupuncture?

I've been having such a terrible time with this quad tendonitis that I tried it today--first time ever. No miracles so far, but the practitioner said a series of 3 is most likely to help. Among the needles she places were 2 on tops of feet near toes, and those 2 itched a lot while the needles were in. I mentioned, and she said that was an energy center for pain and inflammation, so it made sense that it was reacting strongly during the treatment. Is this hogwash? Useful? I might just try another session or 2 because there is almost nothing to do for tendonitis except to rest and wait, so might as well give it a shot. Just wondering if anyone else out there knows about this, has been treated with acupuncture, etc. Thanks!
 
@LHop I ordered Deep Relief today and think I will pick up some bio freeze @MsBlue

JBroklyn, how wonderful that you ran into a fellow BTKR who was doing so well. I too wonder whether and/or how much I will improve from here. I know I am doing well but I still ask my husband almost daily whether he thinks I made the right decision to have the surgery, and he always says yes. I am not where I want to be or hope to be.

On a good day, or in a good moment, I feel almost normal again, and then the knee clicks or stiffens and doubt creeps in--and I only had one knee done. Chin up, I know you will keep getting better!

P.S. Went for a 2.5 mile bike ride and felt like I had done 50!
 
Kind of.... I can get up ok from my office chair and from the bed. I still need to use my arms to haul myself off of the sofa and the toilet. It's not elegant. Sitting down isn't too bad. I think gravity helps a lot! I do find myself positioning my hands just so before I attempt to get up. Occasionally and embarrassingly I'm sure I make a grunting noise as I perform the manoeuvre. Oh joy.

I could have pretty much written your second paragraph myself. I feel like I've plateaued since about week 6 too. And I'm totally and utterly with you re calling the kettle... How easy it is to say to others what we should be saying to ourselves - and listening?

Yes yes yes!! I too worry that this is as good as it is ever going to get and that I'll never ever be able to do anything ever again without thinking about the knee. I totally understand how you feel. Happy to wait longer as long as that magical day does arrive. But inside the bad voice keeps whispering scary things about never getting better.

We will and then I'm coming to Brooklyn to dance in the streets with you!!! Oh, and throw raspberries at people, of course!!
 
Acupuncture works for some people but, unfortunately, not for me. I hope it helps you, @jbrooklyn .
 
@Celle, thanks for your comment. I woke up today with reduced swelling and pain. It was pretty striking, and I was surprised. But PT and a day in NYC have me back feeling my usual ouches. I will try the series of 3 sessions because it did seem to help momentarily this morning, and I'm curious whether that is a coincidence or a significant pattern. Will let you know. :-)

@Raffs, you are always so empathetic and funny. Really enjoying being on this rather bumpy ride with you! Have raspberries, will travel!
 
@LHop and @MsBlue: The wonderful cooling gel my PT used is Sombra cooling gel. It is all natural, and is very very smooth, great for massaging sore knees deeply with way less pain. And, it relieves pain, and feels cool and minty for a while (30-60 min) after applying. I am definitely going to order some!

https://www.sombrausa.com/cool-therapy
 
@LHop and @MsBlue: The wonderful cooling gel my PT used is Sombra cooling gel. It is all natural, and is very very smooth, great for massaging sore knees deeply with way less pain. And, it relieves pain, and feels cool and minty for a while (30-60 min) after applying. I am definitely going to order some!

https://www.sombrausa.com/cool-therapy
Ordered some today from Amazon. Does it help with stiff/tight muscles? Gonna give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
 
@LHop it is on order but I won't have it for another 2 weeks. My night aches dissappeared for awhile but I have sunce picked up my activity pace and tring to cut back on Tylenol and Lo and behold the achiness is back.

I will let you both know what I think once I get it. I also need to check out the Sombra gel. Lots to do!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom