January Jackpots 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rider
I hope you get your horses condition cleared up soon. Have you had lots of rain and damp weather?
Our weather has been more muddy than usual this year. Normally we have mostly frost here by now. My Arab's feet started to get bad from all the dampness even though he has a barn to go into. I am teaching my year old grandson to clean the horses feet. He is scared of the horses, so we are having fun learning.
Have a happy new year and good luck
 
HorseyGirl, We have had a very wet fall and no cold winter yet, which is great in some ways but it helps those scratches-mud fever bugs stay strong. This horse is just SO predisposed to this problem and it doesn't want to go away ... but I'm sure it will clear up eventually ... it just isn't fitting into my perfectly developed plan while preparing for my surgery, lol. It just gets frustrating dealing with such a seemingly simple, easily diagnosed problem that just doesn't want to go away no matter what concoction I try on his legs or what antibiotic pills the vet gives him. I'm hoping the new steroid treatment works.

Although I had planned to go all weekend without taking Percocet to take a break from it because I worry so much about becoming addicted, the pain just got too bad by the end of the day and I took one at bedtime. It took the edge off enough so I was semi-comfortable. I think I'm just going to have to accept that I need stronger pain meds now and continue to take it as sparingly as I can--but take it when nothing else is helping--to keep the pain semi-tolerable.

I'm probably *too* worried about addiction. I had a prescription that was given to me back in February that I used here and there throughout the year (usually on days that I did too much) that was dwindling as I had to start taking it more frequently recently as the pain has gotten worse. The doctor didn't seem to have any problem with my continuing to take it and gave me more last visit--I hobble around and I think anyone can see that my pain is pretty nasty. I think I'm going to have to relax my fears and do what I need to do (within reason, of course) to stay at least semi-comfortable.

The good news is that surgery is fast approaching!!!! I think about this, and think how strange it is that am looking forward to a major surgery! I think we joint replacement people are the only ones that get so happy about our upcoming surgery, lol. After I tell people about my pending hip replacement, they may say "Oh, that sounds awful ... oh, too bad ... that doesn't sound pleasant ... I bet you are not looking forward to that" or the like. I tell them that at this point, I'm ready to take a hammer, saw, and a bottle of whiskey and do it myself! Bring on the surgeon, saw, hammer ... and some good anesthesia, of course :-)

Dorothy
 
Happy New Year to all the Up coming January Jackpots!!

Hoping I don't miss anyone.....sending lots of good thoughts to Bea, Ms Cheryl, Goatram! Johninseattle! Z15, Jen and wooooooooo Haldox! I'll pop back for the later in the month surgeries!

Looking forward to hearing from you as you move over into the world of recovery. Wow I cannot believe 5 weeks ago on a Sunday I got ready for my surgery on that following Monday. It's much easier than I had anticipated, my pain from before the surgery has completely gone, it does take a few weeks to settle into the recovery, not a few weeks few days then each week is a new adventure. The best part is you have a great community of friends here to support and help you along the way!

Lots of love,

Sarah

xxooxx
 
Sarah, you are a doll. Thanks for the kind words and all of your updates in your recovery thread.

I believe Horsey Girl and MsCheryl will be our first hip replacements of the year tomorrow so good luck to both of you ladies!

Dorothy, I get the same reaction whenever I end up telling people about my upcoming surgery. I guess that until you have been dealing with chronic pain for a long time, the idea of looking forward to a surgical procedure just seems foreign.
 
Hi everyone,
Happy New Year or should I say Happy New Hips to you all... I'm wondering what you're all doing about Sleep?? As in are you getting any? I'm not really sleeping much due to the bone pain which is so much worse at night. I'm trying pillows in my knees, sitting up etc but nothing is working!! I'm taking some Difene and Nurofen Plus for pain and inflammation but nothIng is working? Any ideas apart from the idea suggested above of the whiskey bottle, saw and a DIY hip jOb which I'm getting very keen on at this stage!! Good luck to all those being done this week (I'm so jealous!!)
 
Hi Tribaby,

I think or know the night time pain is the worse part of this hip thing, I did find the less activity I did during the day, along with a. Sleeping pill at night, pillows wedged between my legs the ache softened, the last few months before my surgery it was bearable. But at that point my life was so isolated and I knew if I did do things like shopping, travel for business it would immediately effectmy sleep because of the pain. I'm sorry! Are you having your hip replaced anytime soon? That's pain goes away immediately after the surgery!,
 
Although I had planned to go all weekend without taking Percocet to take a break from it because I worry so much about becoming addicted, the pain just got too bad by the end of the day and I took one at bedtime. It took the edge off enough so I was semi-comfortable. I think I'm just going to have to accept that I need stronger pain meds now and continue to take it as sparingly as I can--but take it when nothing else is helping--to keep the pain semi-tolerable.

I'm probably *too* worried about addiction. I had a prescription that was given to me back in February that I used here and there throughout the year (usually on days that I did too much) that was dwindling as I had to start taking it more frequently recently as the pain has gotten worse. The doctor didn't seem to have any problem with my continuing to take it and gave me more last visit--I hobble around and I think anyone can see that my pain is pretty nasty. I think I'm going to have to relax my fears and do what I need to do (within reason, of course) to stay at least semi-comfortable.

The good news is that surgery is fast approaching!!!! I think about this, and think how strange it is that am looking forward to a major surgery! I'm ready to take a hammer, saw, and a bottle of whiskey and do it myself! Bring on the surgeon, saw, hammer ... and some good anesthesia, of course :-)

Dorothy

I have been on the Pill; off and now on for the last 2 years. The usage as increased the last month as the pain increased. All started when My Back went out 2 years ago. it would get better than go out again. this Spring it and the hip started to fight each other for who caused the most pain. 1 a day took care of the pain till mid Oct. when it got colder started two a day. Come afternoon around 3 pain would get worse and then wear off around 7. As you said if I am doing things I forget about the pain. If I stop and take a break I could not get back at it. Yard and Barn work has lost its appeal. I have Goats, Chickens,and a Jenny (Donkey) with Chief a Meremma Guardian dog to keep the Racoons and Coyotes at bay.

Story is control the pain! your life will be better for it. Your doctor is not worried about it. Your Horses and family will be OK. You will not be come a Addict for the month or two or five that you will be on it. Ask your doctor and he or she will confirm this.

Good Luck Dorothy
Pain is Temporary as is the need for the PILL
John :skeptical:
 
My Night pain is non existent. Once I lay down and take the loads off Extra strength Tylenol Works for me.

I must be missing out on the total experience. My gait says no thou

JohninSeattle; Good luck on your surgery. Dr Toomey your OS? I have had many people say I should go to him. But my OS has a good rep as well and he is close to home.

Happy New Hips to all January Hipstars and to the old folks like Sarah that have already graduated to the other side. Hopefully I will be a Feb Hipstar as well for my right side.:dancy::yay:
 
Tomorrow is your day! All the best. See you on the other side!
 
Although I had planned to go all weekend without taking Percocet to take a break from it because I worry so much about becoming addicted.

I think I'm just going to have to accept that I need stronger pain meds now and continue to take it as sparingly as I can.
Dorothy, that's probably the worst thing you can do. If you take many inadequate doses that don't really do their job, you are far more likely to get a problem than if you took the proper dose and got some relief.

Anyway, it's not addiction as such - more properly called dependence which is a vastly different issue. An addict will go to extreme and sometimes unlawful extents to obtain the medications.

Apart from which, it is known that using prescribed amounts of narcotics for genuine pain rarely results in addiction or dependence.
Read this article Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Dorothy, I attended a hip class at my hospital yesterday and one thing that the nurse stressed was the importance of controlling the pain and letting the staff know if the meds were not meeting your needs. I know you're still pre-surgery but I think goatram and Josephine make great points. Control the pain so that you can function and be comfortable.

Good luck to goatram and Nick (andsoitgoes) who are either prepping for surgery or ain surgery now. Good luck to Z who goes in tomorrow!
 
Thanks for the replies about my concerns about Percocet. I'm giving myself permission to take it, but I still don't know if I will be able to relax enough to take it very frequently. I'm taking anti-inflammatories and tylenol, and I'm using Percocet for the times when the pain gets worse. I think I'll be OK with that. But, trust me--I'm not going to try to ignore the bad pain--I will take the Percocet. Thanks for caring! :-) Even taking it in the evening when I am able to settle down and relax to watch TV makes a huge difference in how I feel even the next day. I think tolerating severe pain makes my body go on red alert. So, I'll scratch the idea of trying to use the Percocet *too* sparingly!

I went to my hospital's pre-op joint replacement education/prep class yesterday. It was really good and I learned a lot. One great thing I was told was that I may be able to avoid needing to go for inpatient rehab by staying one additional day in the hospital. If they (and I) think that I'm not quite prepared to go home and be independent, but I'm close to that point, I can just stay one more day/night and then go home from there. An extra day can make a big difference, I'm told.

They also went through the daily schedule for the hospital stay. I'm kind of relieved that I won't have to get out of bed until the morning after surgery. They also stressed what I've read here over and over--don't judge your recovery by what someone else can do and think you aren't progressing, and that everyone recovers at their own rate. Don't get discouraged about it. Words of wisdom, for sure!

They discussed a ton of things, passed around knee and hip prostheses--first time I had seen one in person. I was really impressed at how fluid and gliding the movement was--made me very hopeful that my hip joint really WILL move great again!!

They help us get dressed in street clothes each day after the 1st day, so I need to bring regular street clothes (shorts, tees, sweats, etc and good stable shoes).

They seem to have everything down to a science. This is a unit dedicated strictly to joint replacement and spine surgery. They reminded us that it's a wellness focused unit and that we are not thought of as "sick" patients while we are there. They do everything they can to keep this unit segregated from the "sick" areas to ward off germs. That is good to know.

The nurse manager was pleasant, and she came across as rather strict and no-nonsense--I bet the nurses under her supervision take good care of the patients (or they will have to answer to her--which I don't think I'd want if I were them!), which is so important to me because I had such poor nursing care and pain management (due to the nurses, not the doctor) when I had my hysterectomy.

I'm trying to cover all my possible bases as far as post op pain control, which was the horrible time after my hysterectomy: I'll have the epidural during surgery with the residual anesthesia from that for a bit after I wake up, a morphine PCA, and a "Painbuster" catheter in the wound. I think I should be pretty much covered for the immediate post op period.

I remember waking up in excrutiating pain after my hysterectomy and I and my friends trying to reason with the nursing staff to get me adequate pain control--like talking to a brick wall--it took them over 8 hours before they called my doctor and got orders for adequate pain medication. It really made me angry when I found out that the most important and strongest drug from the "cocktail" that the surgeon had prescribed had never been brought up from the pharmacy ... and they were too lazy to get it! No wonder I felt like someone was scraping my insides with a scapel for 8 hours after I woke up!

I really think I'm traumatized from that, because that is my biggest fear--waking up in excrutiating pain ... and being at their mercy ... and not having them do anything about it. I and my friends, who will be there day of surgery, are better prepared this time and will raise "you know what" big time if things don't go well. But, really, I can't imagine things going as bad as the nursing care for the hysterectomy ... so I keep telling myself that the chances of things being that bad again are very slim.

I think I'm going to a good place that really knows what they are doing. Healthgrades.com has rated them number one ortho hospital in New York state for several years, so I think I'm in good hands.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy!

Hope this comes over properly meaning the way I word this!! I'm anxiously waiting for your surgery to get here I think it's because I always remember your first posts and how you were dealing with lots of things, Mostly the pain which always made me sad, the weight, your dr and you had not even made the final decision to have the surgery (hope my memory is serving me right). To get this close now is exciting, and I know it's also a nervous time, however I'm hoping you are ready you sound really organized and focused! My hope for you is to have a similar experience to mine nice and easy. HA I love you will get the morphine pump, sorry some late humor not everyone likes morphine, im confident they will have a good pain plan for you. Glad you took the class it's good learning what you are in store with and they sound fabulous! Along with all our advice you will do so well!

I was spanked a few times before my surgery when taking pain pills sparingly my drs nurse had told me what's the point in taking one or two here or there, like you though I had my concerns I think the main goal is to get ahead of the pain and when only taking periodically the pills cannot really get into your system and stay. Think though in a few weeks that horrible hip pain will be gone, and the surgery pain will take a few weeks, maybe longer to heal but there is now light at the end of the tunnel for you!

Sending you lots of love!

xxooxx
 
Sounds like you are heading for the right place Dorothy! I agree - one extra day can and does make a difference. So glad you got to see and hear it all. Now you can focus on getting your home ready for your recovery.
 
Sarah--as usual, you are so sweet and supportive. Thank you! I've had a morphine PCA before and it made SUCH a difference with the pain. I don't remember feeling goofy or happy while on it (darn! ha ha!) though. I remember it made me dizzy--the room was moving all around.

Jacey, thank you for your comments and support, as always!

I am just SO glad I found this group. It's been such a great support and source for information. I was walking into work today, hobbling along with my cane, and started talking with a co worker I hadn't seen in a while. I said I was having a hip replacement and he said "Do you really need it???" I just looked at him in amazement and said "This isn't a normal way to walk -- of course I need it!" His response was "Well, you are still able to get around." I just told him that they don't wait until you are wheelchair bound ... idiot! I was shocked and thought his comments were so stupid, insensitive to my pain and mobility problems, and uninformed. It really upset me for a bit and I am grateful that I can post about it here and get it off my chest. It's great to have a place to come during this time.

Dorothy
 
"Do you really need it???" I just looked at him in amazement and said "This isn't a normal way to walk -- of course I need it!" His response was "Well, you are still able to get around." I just told him that they don't wait until you are wheelchair bound ... idiot! I was shocked and thought his comments were so stupid, insensitive to my pain and mobility problems, and uninformed. It really upset me for a bit and I am grateful that I can post about it here and get it off my chest. It's great to have a place to come during this time.

Dorothy I had the same thing said to me and I was livid! Oh yes, I do love to limp around like I am 40 years older than I really am. Idiot is right!

I found that some people just react that way to the prospect of a major procedure. They are so surprised that you are (gratefully) going to do this. You know why - because they probably wouldn't have the guts to do it. It takes courage to say I am not going to limp around and be immobile for the rest of my life.

Glad you could share this here. I am sure many Smarties have had a similar experience.
 
Had a bit of a misunderstanding at the doctor.

When I had my pre-op appointment with the surgeon, he told me that I had to stop taking aspirin and ibuprofen 7 days before surgery.

Then, a week later, when I went to the hospital pre-op, the nurse told me to stop taking aspirin 7 days before but I could take ibuprofen up to 3 days before, it was printed in the glossy handout for the surgery prep.

This makes a big difference to me as I have been living on ibuprofen for the last 6 months, without it, I swell up and stop.

So I called the surgeon's head nurse ( they are moving their office this week so this wasn't easy.) and she confirmed that I can indeed take ibuprofen until the night of the 7th, Saturday. :biggrin::yes 4:

I won't know the surgery time until the night before, they will call me between 3 and 6 PM to tell me when to come in the next day.
 
I hate it when this happens! :hairpulling: There is stress enough in the run up to the op - you don't need confusion as well!

Glad you got it clarified though. The last 3 days won't be too fun but there is certainly light at the end of the tunnel. Nearly there!
 
John, I'm glad that is straightened out for you. When I first started reading your post, I got a little scared for you because you've had such a bad time when you've tried going off the ibuprofen. I'm glad they are being flexible with you so you only have to go 3 days without it instead of 7. Gosh, your date is going to be here before you know it! :-)

I've been told no aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn, or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories for 7 days prior to surgery. I'm worrying too because I've been taking a lot of ibuprofen or naprosyn and plain Tylenol doesn't do much for me. I'm fortunate I have Percocet to use ... or I might not be walking when I get to the hospital on the 25th!

Jacey--thanks for your comments. This guy tends to be a little arrogant, so I do think he meant it in a not-nice way. But you may also be right that there is an element of "OMG! I'd be too scared to have it done!!!" underlying his arrogant front. Chicken!! ha ha!

Good luck to everyone having their surgery in January!!!!!!!!!! There are a lot of us!!!

Dorothy
 
John, I'm glad to hear you are able to continue with the ibuprofen. There's enough going on without added stress from not being able to take pain meds when you need them.

Dorothy, the reactions that occur whenever people find out about my surgery have really run the gamut. You'd think a simple "I hope things go well" would suffice but no. Everyone has a horror story about how their great-aunt's brother's cousin twice-removed had a hip replacement and is now in agony. And they feel the need to share said horror story. Then there are the ones like you co-worker who ask if you really need a hip replacement. No, we're just doing it for fun because what else is better than having your bones cut up and metal rods inserted. Some people just lack tact and/or sensitivity. If the subject of my surgery comes up and the person I'm speaking with starts going in that direction, I just change the subject or politely end the conversation.

I finally had my pre-op testing on Tuesday and am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing appears on the blood work that would postpone my surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom