Guest viewing is limited

January Jackpots 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorothy...

I totally get the thought of hacking out the hip...then again im thinking replacing is a softer term. Im laughing and about to give you a hard time...the scooter guy now hacking at your body are you feeling agressive today hahahahaha!!
My bad!

I love the 12 year old and her mum coming to help and your horses staying home thats fabulous news!

I totally understand you wanting to do things right up until the surgery, to keep busy plus being around the horses and dogs are special. I would be doing the same thing.

Not long to go....I'll write before you go in!

xxooxx
 
Dorothy, just remember you will need to give up the heavy work post-op. But only for a short while. A very temporary situation for a lifetime of taking care of the horse PAIN FREE! :yes 4:
 
Sarah--Me, aggressive??? Oh, maybe I am--grrrr! (just kidding!!!)

Jacey, I've already asked my surgeon for specifics as far as caring for the horses after surgery. Since it is winter and there is snow on the ground, and if that melts there will be mud ... I won't be able to even go out to the barn at all for the first few weeks, unless we have a miraculous change in the weather.

My surgeon said no walking in the snow, ice, or mud, no picking up bales of hay or buckets of water, etc etc for 6 weeks. No riding for 12 weeks, although I don't even think I'll be able to do that then because the pain in the other hip flares up when I try to get on the horse--I tested that over the summer. I was originally hoping the right hip would feel better after it was able to quit working overtime making up for the left hip, so I hadn't planned to get the right hip replaced soon, but the x-ray last week showed that it's gotten a lot worse--went from being mild about a year ago to severe now! Yikes, that's fast progression! I'm not going to wait until it gets as bad as my left is now. Uh uh! Another hip yet to go!

I'm sidelined now ... But, after the other hip is done --- Watch out!!! I'll be like a wild woman--making up for lost time!!!! You won't be able to keep me down. I'll be chasing after the scooter guy just to catch a ride on the scooter to see how fast it will go! It will be like racing go-carts--that's really fun!!

Ha ha!

Dorothy
 
I had my pre op meetings today and now I feel that I have got over my fears, I am looking forward to my surgery and all that is waiting for me on the other side ! My chat with the physio was so comforting, she wasn't " poo pooing " ( ! ) the operation, but she explained things in such a way, as to make me realise.that obviously it was natural for me to be in a state of high anxiety, but my surgeon does this all the time and has years of experience with this procedure.
I was also worried about my recovery and every day life after that, but she also made me feel confident about that too......so I say, bring it on !!!! :-)
 
That is great news brit1chick! It's much nicer if you are surrounded by a supportive medical group. I had a great team and felt better once I got very close to the surgery. You will see very soon it's great to get order to the other side! See you soon xxooxx
 
I talked with the surgeon's office about something else this morning and also asked how many hips he is replacing or resurfacing the day of my surgery. He has 9 on the schedule. That seems like so many ... but I know he does this all the time and is used to it.
You must know the old saying
Q: Can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?
A: Practice, practice, practice!

More is better. At the rate he's going, you know you are getting one very skilled chap! :thumb:
 
Hi Brit1chick

It is fantastic when that sense of calm comes over one and as you say 'bring it on' - you are going to be fine now, just relax until the 26th, we are here for you when you get on the other side.

Lots of love xx
 
Hi Dorothy
Fantastic news about your horse carers... That is a relief for you...

Now just focus on the 25th and recovery, nearly there :)
 
Yes, the last week before surgery is very nerve wrecking but will just fly by. I was sooo nervous after Christmas. Even at the hospital I asked if anyone ever got up and walked out. They laughed and said no. And then at once you wake up and all is over and you are on the other side. For me it now just seems like a long dream leading up to the surgery. I kept so busy the last week with getting things ready at work and at home.
Have a great last weekend, keep busy and hug your horses and remember the next time you hug them all the nervousness will be gone.

Bea
 
What an encouraging post Bea, that was so nice. Wish I had a horse to hug now! :)
 
forgot to mention something that surprised me. I was told that if i even get so much as a scratch on me, that the surgeon would cancel the operation. Guess its to do with infection, so i will have to wrap myself up in cotton wool !!!
 
It is. I have seen surgeons abandon surgery because the ward scratched the skin when shaving. That's why, if there is any shaving required, it's now left to the theatre staff as they are deemed more competent to do it! (really???)
 
Britchick--I'm so glad you were able to talk with people that helped reassure you about the surgery and recovery. I know how this can be scary, even if you really do want it done.

Bea--thanks for your thoughtful and supportive post. It really does have so many words of wisdom, and I appreciate it so much. There IS so much to do before Wednesday and I have a busy weekend ahead.

Sandy--travel to my house and you can hug a horse anytime! :-)

Britchick--I worry about something happening to me--nothing big, but something that will cause the surgery to be canceled. God forbid anything happens to cancel the surgery at this point, right?

I thought I had the start of a sinus infection coming on during the night and this morning a flushed my sinuses with a ton of saline solution. It did make them feel better and they are fine now. I think I'm going to do it twice a day until the surgery just to ward off accumulation of bad stuff up there. I have a tendency to get sinus infections when I become more suseptible to allergens in the air at times I'm under stress. I think a hip replacement qualifies as stress, lol.

We will all have to vow to keep ourselves healthy through our surgeries and recovery period!

Dorothy
 
This is probably the third or fourth time I have attempted to post. The post surgery haze made it tough to finish. But I wanted you to know that all went well and my surgeon was able to do both hips! I will start my recovery thread when I have more energy. In the meantime thank you for the positive thoughts. Dorothy, Britchick, Philippa, and R1150RT, just know that it is true that the joint pain will almost disappear right after surgery. My muscles are sore but the hips are great. I hope you all have the same great feeling.
 
Wow Jen - both hips! Well done! We will look forward to more updates later. Meanwhile :sleepz:!
 
Hi Jen, thrilled you had both hips done and are doing well. Looking forward to reading more about your recovery! Lots of love! Xxooxx
 
Well done, Jen!!!! I'll look forward to reading your recovery thread when you get time to start one!
 
Fantastic Jen

With surgery for both hips all done it is recovery, slow and steady from now on - well done.

Post when you feel up to it xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom