Guest viewing is limited

January Jackpots 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your almost there Dorothy!

I would follow the advice and not eat, drink nothing after 11pm night before. Sometimes the anesthesiologist will call night before to check in on you, mine didn't though just heard of that. No gum, you can clean your teeth but don't swallow water :). Your going in around same time I did 12.30pm...I had to be there at 10.30am and it goes very quickly.

You know I'm super excited for you, and all my thoughts will be with you that day! I'll write before the 25th :) I know it's nerve racking before the surgery, you are going to be relieved once it's done and you wake up no longer feeling that awful PRE surgery pain. Yes it will take a few weeks, months to recover its so much more fun recovering unlike now how you suffer with that icky pain! It's not just me, all our post hippy friends are pretty consistent and positive in writing how good they feel!

Soon......sending lots of love!

xxooxx
 
Phillipa...wonderful news on getting your matching set of hips! If I had to have the other done I would not hesitate either. Tis surgery went sooo well! On the eating and drinking, I agree with everyone else no food or beverage. My OS would not even allow water sips from midnight on...

Jen...sounds like you have a great OS and staff to work with! Glad you were able to get surgery rescheduled so quickly. I donated my blood and would have hated to do that again!

Jen, Philippa, and Dorothy...the best of luck to all of you!!
 
My surgeon must not be as strict, because he said I was allowed breakfast, a drink and toast the morning of my op, but nothing after that. And my op is later in the afternoon. That really suits me cos I would be starving .....
 
Dorothy, please don't worry about being ready for PT and OT the day after your op. My op started at 2PM. I was in recovery at 4PM and had no problem working with PT and OT the next day.

And please don't assume you will be a cripple post-op. I know it is very hard to imagine moving around since you have not been able to for so long. There is sheer joy when they get you out of bed the first time and that bone on bone pain is gone! I think you will find the restrictions and the new hip are much easier to work with than you are imagining.

Almost there!
 
There is sheer joy when they get you out of bed the first time and that bone on bone pain is gone! I think you will find the restrictions and the new hip are much easier to work with than you are imagining.

I sure hope this is the case for me. The first time I'm able to really bend my right hip, I'll probably do cartwheels down the hall out of sheer joy. Okay, maybe not cartwheels but you get the idea.

I had to finalize some things with the surgical coordinator. During the conversation she mentioned that I will be the first one for surgery on Thursday morning :yes 4:.
 
Thanks for the words of comfort, support, and encouragement. I'll probably look back on this and think -- what was I so concerned about!?! Right now it's just a bit scary because of the unknown ...

Dorothy
 
All the best tomorrow Jen! We will be with you in spirit and look forward to your first post from the other side!
 
Thanks Jaycey! I am getting ready to leave for the hospital now. I can't believe the day is here. I will try and let you all know how I am doing as soon as I am settled. :friends:everyone!
 
A little late to wish you good luck Jen, but it's the thought that counts. Looking forward to hearing good news from the other side

Cheers
Sandy
 
Hi there Brit1chick

Not long now... Just think, no more bone on bone pain.. You are going to be fine. Just stay focussed on the positive outcome and your recovery.

Looking forward to hearing from you xx
p.s. Thanks for the PM's xxx
Sandy
 
I talked with the surgeon's office about something else this morning and also asked how many hips he is replacing or resurfacing the day of my surgery. He has 9 on the schedule. That seems like so many ... but I know he does this all the time and is used to it.

They told me that that m surgery is probably going to be a little later in the day than I was told last week--1:30 pm instead of 12:00 noon. I want to get it done earlier, but oh well ... at least it will get done! The hospital will call me a couple of days before to confirm the time; they told me that schedules get shuffled and adjusted right up until a couple of days before the surgery day.

I'm not able to take my anti-inflammatories any longer and ouch! I hadn['t thought they were doing much, but now that I'm not taking them, I feel that they actually helped a lot! I'm hobbling around even worse now. I'm definitely ready for this surgery!!!!!!!

Dorothy
 
I'm not able to take my anti-inflammatories any longer and ouch! I hadn['t thought they were doing much, but now that I'm not taking them, I feel that they actually helped a lot! I'm hobbling around even worse now. I'm definitely ready for this surgery!!!!!!!

Dorothy
I got my doc to call in a prescription for Acetaminophen/Codeine, It helped a LOT and got me through.
 
Hi Dorothy,

I am just getting back into Bonesmart, now that I have a surgery date for hip op #2, a couple of days after yours.

I'm hoping for a morning time slot, but won't know the actual time until the day before.

It's rough being 'off your meds' and the last 4-5 days pre-op are challenging. Just think, though, that you will be able to get around so much easier without anti-inflammatory drugs once your new hip is healed. Whoo-hoo!!

Best wishes for next Wednesday.
~Phillippa
 
John, thanks for the info. I do have Percocet to take and that helps to a degree, but I'm really amazed at how much the ibuprofen or naprosyn helped. Plain Tylenol does almost nothing for me.

I was hurting a lot this morning and had to take 2 Percocets (7.5 mg oxycodone in each!) to get the pain to a level where I could come to work. I do pretty well once I get here because I have a very comfortable chair, desk type job, and flexibility with what I do during the work day. It's just tough to get ready to come to work and walk in from the parking lot. I work with a guy who has a scooter (like the ones from "The Scooter Store" on TV commercials)--I'm thinking about knocking him off it and using it for the next few days till my surgery, ha ha!

I must say they have been wonderful where I work. They've decreased my work load substantially the last couple of months and let me flex my hours a lot--they know it's tough for me to do do things, so "I get here when I get here" and they have been fine with that. I don't think I would have been able to continue to work otherwise. So, I feel very fortunate.

Not much longer!

Phillipa--not much longer for you too!!!

Dorothy
 
Dorothy....

That was very funny about knocking of the poor guy of his scooter...naughty naughty you!

I feel like reaching in and dragging you over to the post op side today hahahaha sorry not laughing at you, you know me by now hopefully! Just ready to hear how well you are doing on the otherside.

You will be fine once you get into the hospital, the morning really does go by very quickly once you wake up.

What are you doing this weekend? I must be behind reading your post for some reason sorry! Have your horses gone to the other place?

Im hoping you are going to relax a little before the surgery dont over do things, goal is for you not to be in any additional pain above the pain you have since stopping anti flams.

Sending you lots of good wishes! Be nice to Scooter man...

xxooxx
 
Dorothy, I was so lucky my OS did not make me stop my med pre-op. Can't imagine the level of pain without them. Hope you are coping OK.
 
Sarah--I wish you *could* reach me and drag me to "the other side"! This morning was particularly rough. I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon, thank goodness. After feeling so bad this morning, I am even less nervous about the surgery and can't wait to get to the hospital and get this done. Thanks for being so concerned about me :-)

Update: The horses are going to be staying home. It turned out that I found a horse crazy 12 year old girl who will come with her mother and do it. They have horses and I've known her mother for a long time. I believe they will be very reliable and am very grateful that they are willing to do this in the dead of winter in upstate New York. And, they are being absolute dolls and not charging me much for doing it, which is great because I'm going to be off work for considerable time without enough paid time off to cover it all. They haven't started yet and I'm still doing the horse chores. I know ... you all think I shouldn't be doing them ... I probably shouldn't be doing them, but I can't stand not being able to do things. I'm slow at getting the chores done and a friend comes over on the weekends and does the heavier stuff for me.

I just like to feel like I CAN still do something important to me, like care for my horses--kind of like I can't stand to give in and give up one more thing that I need or like to do because of this arthritis. It's only a few more days ... and maybe this morning was just a fluke and it won't be as difficult for the remainder of the time I have to wait.

Everyone in my life cringes when I say this ... but I'll say it here and I think you will all understand where I'm coming from *I can't wait to get this old hip hacked out of my body!*

Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom