Guest viewing is limited

January Jackpots 2012 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In January??

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in all, I've received much more positive feedback and comments than negative. It's usually the uninformed or negative/unhappy people who say stupid things--they'd probably say something ridiculous even if I were in the middle of a heart attack--"Do you think you really need to go to the hospital???"

Fortunately, most people I talk with about this in my daily interactions know someone who has had a hip replacement--such a common surgery now--and the vast majority have had a great result. These people seem to be the most supportive about my upcoming surgery because they have seen the person in their lives get their life back with this wonderful procedure. I guess I'll just have to get better about ignoring the few jerks that I encounter along the way ...

Jen, Good luck at your pre-op testing next week; hope all goes well. I know what you mean about worrying that something weird will show up that will cause a delay--I've been worrying about the very same thing. My pre-op exam and testing is next week also--1/12--the date of your surgery. I bet we will both be fine, though :-)

Dorothy
 
That's funny about the negative feedback. I have talked to over 100 people about my pending operation and have had nothing but good feedback except from one of the surgeons I was interviewing. He wanted me to tough it out on cortisone and grit.

One of the workers at the dump wanted to know why I was waiting so long, this was about 3 months ago. (answer: I wanted to re-up my health care spending account)
 
The nurse called and I am scheduled for 6:15 am tomorrow morning, surgery at 7:40. See you on the other side. :thumb::hate-shocked::yes 4::yahoo:
 
It's your big day John! All the best! See you on the other side.
 
John, I think that is a great time of day to have surgery. Your surgeon may have done one before you --he'll be all warmed up! If not, you still have him when he is fresh first thing in the morning. Boy, it's coming right up very SOON!! Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find out my surgery time this Thursday when I go for my pre-op testing and exam. My surgeon typically does 8 hips on Wednesday (the day of the week I'll have mine done). I joke and say I don't want to be number 8! But, regardless, I'm sure he wouldn't do this week after week if he wasn't able to do that many successfully. He does a few more on Thursday too, and the hospital staff jokes that their unit is pretty empty until he does his hip surgeries Wednesday and Thursday--after that, their census rises dramatically through the weekend, then everything quiets down for Monday and Tuesday. He does even more hip surgeries earlier in the week at another hospital, but he prefers the hospital where I am going.

Dorothy
 
Whoa, John......you're probably resting comfortably in recovery by now!!!! Let us hear from you when you feel up to posting.
 
Hope all is well with you John and that you're comfortable.

I should be receiving a call tonight letting me know what time to report to the hospital tomorrow. I am excited :dancy:. I'll be out doing some last-minute errands to try and keep busy.

Dorothy, I'd love to have an early surgery time too. I'm not sure how likely that is, as a nurse told me that they prefer to save the early times for older patients or those who have other health conditions. We'll see.
 
This weekend I'm planning a big grocery store run (with help) to get everything I'll need for a loooonnnnggg time, except for perishable items. I'm also going to my friend's home (with help) to pick up a electric lift recliner, bar stool, and shower chair she has offerred for my recovery. And, I just placed an online order for a lot of rawhide chews for my dogs to keep them busy after I return home. They are super active, needy type dogs who want something to do every waking hour. They will drive me nuts until I can do more with them. The chews will keep them busy for a while ...

My horses have been a big deal during this pre-surgery planning. I had planned to board them out for a couple of months, but one had a bad skin problem and it's taking its sweet time clearing up (finally making some progress, though) ... but a new development is that I have found a local (2 miles away) horse crazy 12 year old and her mother to come to my farm and care for them as long as I need them, for a *very* reasonable fee, so they can stay home. I also have a couple of emergency back up people who are within walking distance in case we have a bad storm and the primary horse caregivers can't travel. Just a few more things to buy for the horses and I'm set with them too. Oh, and stock up on cat food and litter ... and maybe another bag of dog food.

Pre-op exam and testing tomorrow ... and I'm good to go! Hard to believe it's only 2 weeks away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just realized that John's surgery was yesterday ... I hope he posts soon so we know how things are going! Or, maybe he has and I just haven't gotten over to the post-op section to read it.

I was just thinking today about how lucky we are to be able to have this wonderful procedure done so we can feel better and get our mobility and lives back!!!!!! I can't imagine what it would be like living how I currently feel indefinitely.

Dorothy
 
The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry (all credit and thanks to Robert Burns).

So I just got a call from the hospital telling me that my surgery tomorrow has been cancelled due to a death in the doctor's family. I'll be calling his surgical coordinator tomorrow to get the earliest date that they can fit me in. I'm a bit disappointed because I felt so prepared for the surgery and was eager to get on with it. We'll see what tomorrow brings.:sigh:

Good luck with pre-op Dorothy :thumb:
 
Aw Jen, that's the call we all dread! So sorry your op got cancelled. Hopefully they will get you in soon. Please keep us updated!
 
Thanks ladies. On a happier note, I spoke with the surgical coordinator this morning. I am now rescheduled for next Thursday, the 19th :biggrin:. I am thrilled because if they had not been able to get me in within a month, I would have had to do the pre-testing and donate blood all over again!
 
:yes 4: I was hoping they would try and fit you in. Well done!
 
Now that's great customer service!!! I'm glad you were worked in so quickly.
 
It looks like I'm going to be a January Jackpot; I'm booked for LTHR at Vancouver General Hospital on Friday January 27th - just got the good news today!

I had my right hip done 14 months ago, and it couldn't be better!! I am soooo looking forward to having two good hips.

Best wishes for speedy recoveries to those of you who've already had your surgeries, and to those still waiting, stay positive, and look forward to being free of that grinding bone pain in a wee while.

Cheers,
~Phillippa
 
Great news Phillippa! You will have a matched set soon!
 
I had my pre-op exam and testing yesterday. The exam at the surgeon's office was with his office PA. I had never met her before and wasn't impressed at all. Thank goodness she doesn't assist with the surgeries!! It wasn't like she was totally incompetent, she just seemed clueless about some of my questions and pretty much just was there to do the exam, give me the time line about what meds to take/stop, and have me sign the paperwork. Luckily, the nurse I saw at the hospital had answers for me--she seemed better than the PA.

I had new x-rays taken and I reviewed them with the PA--she was actually good at this. I'm amazed how much worse the left hip has gotten in just the past 6 months since the previous ones were taken--now I know why I've been feeling so much worse. The right side is significantly worse too, and I made the decision to discuss replacement of that side as soon as possible after the left one is done 1/25 and I've recovered enough to do so. I'm not going to wait until the right gets as bad as my left and I'm getting around like a crippled up old lady like I am now.

After comparing my x-rays and also knowing how I feel, I completely understand and believe it when our bonesmart experts here say that hips can worsen very quickly. I'm proof of that!

My surgery isn't until 12:00 noon, which is good in that I won't have to leave my house as early--hospital is 1 1/2 hours away. But, I wish I were getting an earlier start so I could be even more ready when PT and OT descend upon me the next morning. I bet I will get very hungry and thirsty before surgery too, since I have to wait so long. I didn't ask this yesterday, but is it OK to suck on some ice chips that morning????

Dorothy
 
They will want you to come to the hospital hours before the actual surgery time. I would not have anything...even ice chips.....until you get there. Then you can requiest it if you really need them. But, I think you'll find that you will be okay. So many things are going on the morning of surgery that you really don't have time to think about anything else.
 
Phillippa, glad to hear you got your surgery date! And just a couple of weeks away too :thumb:

Dorothy, I second Jamie regarding not having anything the day of the surgery. You might want to double-check with your surgeon or someone at the hospital beforehand. During my hip class, the managing nurse told us no eating or drinking after 11PM on the night before the surgery. Apparently they are pretty strict about it too because she related a story about a patient who was chewing gum when she came in for her surgery. The anesthesiologist saw her chewing and immediately cancelled the surgery! Apparently he felt that if she was chewing gum there was a possibility that she had other food/drink as well. I've read online that some surgeons are moving away from the idea of banning eating and drinking pre-surgery but it's best to check with your doctor.
 
OK, I'll be good and not have anything after midnight, not even ice chips.

It's hard to believe it's actually almost here! I've been looking forward to the surgery, but I did have some mini-panic attack type moments during the 1 1/2 hour drive to the Dr/hospital yesterday afternoon. It wasn't based on anything rational, just "OMG! This is for real!!! Life is going to change a lot on Jan 25!"

I know that I will definitely feel better after recovery from the surgery. But, it is very hard for me to handle the "recovery" part about my mobility being pretty poor for the first month or two. This will be the first time in my life that I've had any significant orthopedic problem that had such an impact on my mobility for more than a day or two. The thought of my leg not working very well for a long time is rather scary ... ... but ultimately I know it's for the best and I'm still looking forward to the surgery. Such a mixed bag of emotions.

Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom