TKR Jancat's story

Status
Not open for further replies.
We suspected that the maine cultures would be negative because i had been on antibiotics a few days of the week for my sinus infection and they gave me abx in the ed after seeing the aspirate. Was off abx 2 days before i was cultured here so hope something shows up.mMaybe because we got it early and had a washout and another washout with spacer exchange? Hoping hoping hoping.
Did i mention that I am terrified of losing my formerly wonderful knee?
 
Jan, I have a gut feeling all is going to go well. You're right, though, to keep an open mind. But think about it: if the prosthetics they took out don't culture anything, then that means that either the infection was so acute it didn't latch on to the prosthetics or that the washout was successful. Again, these acute episodes are far more treatable. I'm with you in thinking it was acute and not from the surgery but you'll know soon I suppose when culture results come in. Wow, you are on pins and needles aren't you?
 
Pins and needles is putting it lightly! I went from feeling terrific to terrible in a few hours! In the future i am not going to wait it out- going to get on abx right away when I feel a sinus thing coming on! Yes i am terrified of losing the knee to a revision. It was so perfect! Also i used all my disability time for the tka in march. So now when i use up my remaining pto my employer has to "separate". They can hire me back but i would Not be in the pension like i am now. And what places still offer a defined benefit plan anymore? Hardly anyone. My employer stopped the defined benefit plan for those hired after 1/1/2010. So there are financial issues on my mind as well.
 
Jan, they took care of yours quickly and I have heard of several people on this board that had the spacer washout and debridement and did well afterwards!

Let me see if Jamie or Jo can help further:)
Jamie, Josephine
 
Tx Sonja i feel so good. Now the only unknown is if anything is growing in the tissue samples from wednesday's surg. Maryo can you tell me more of your friend's story who had the i and d with spacer exchange for infection? Thank you everyone for your understanding and support.
 
How long will it take to get a response? I know that with the 1st and 2nd knee surgery they had to wait 4 days before they sent results.
 
Jan, it's so difficult to say anything really definite here - you've pretty much said it yourself. Only time will really tell what the outcome will be. But things are looking good so don't lose your optimism. Plenty of people do have excellent results from and I&D.
 
Sonja
The cultures need to grow for 5 days. I will go home monday i think.
I will get broad spectrum abx until or if we find a culprit.
Just so shaken up at the suddenness of it all and of course what i stand to lose if it is not eradicated.
I sure would love to hear some first hand accounts of those who have gone through this and never needed further surgery.
 
Jan,

I'm sorry this must be torture...today I thought a little harder about the discomfort and heat still in my knees. (the usual stuff no change) but still had to think harder because of your experience.

Do the best you can not to worry yourself sick. You did good deciding to go and not ignore symptoms. I feel very hopeful for you that this issue will resolve with your current treatment. I just know the next day, week, month and year will be rough for you from worrys even if everything heals fast and well.

Best you can do is the best you can do. Try not to go too nuts with worry. Stay positive and hopeful. We are praying for you.

Chris
 
Jan,
Like I have said before, yours did not present anything like mine did. Mine split open and drained and hurt so bad I couldn't let the leg touch the ground!

I know you are understandably anxious, but with the way yours presented itself, I am confident that you will be fine! You have so many BoneSmarties praying for you, and sending well wishes! Try to get some rest and (I know this part is the most difficult) but not let it get to you too much!:angel:

I am going to look back through the archives because I am sure there were a couple of people who had superficial infections and had the spacer and I and D and never looked back!
 
Tx Sonja i appreciate your help.
Dont forget this was not superficial. I am glad i took care of it early and that is giving me hoPe too.
I know i have done all i can but i will try to work
On the worrying.
 
Jan, what I hear you saying is that your sense of security has been shaken. That certainly happened to me last year when I struggled with arthrofibrosis plus accidental addiction to benzodiazepines which have a long neurological withdrawal period. I no longer felt like me, and didn't know when I'd get me back, or my life as I knew it, if ever.

My friend who had the infection -- it was a late infection but acute -- did very well. BTW he tends to experience no pain and hallucinates if given narcotics so, imagine, he had written in his chart in big letters NO PAIN DRUGS (only tylenol). Another friend had a low-grade infection with chronic problems and was told the xrays looked fine, went to another OS for 2nd opinion and infection was found, and he too had the washout with spacer exchange and is doing well. Actually both had the same OS for their infections, an MD in Bangor Maine.

I'm thinking that you've run out of back luck, Jan.
 
Hi Jan, I was searching the web and I found this posted in the Journal of Orthopaedics. Does this put a little light on your situation? Also I know how you're feeling about the benefits and employment situation/ I'm somewhat in the same situation should I need to have this TKR debrided/adhesion removal. But nobody else is going to be our best advocate but ourselves and the loved one around us. Even when it come down to our family and friends we ultimately have to what is "good" for us. And YOU are doing just that!
Nancy

Pb Journal of Orthopaedics Vol-XI, No.1, 2009
Open debridement may be indicated for an acute infection in
early post-op period (Type 2 infection) and for acute
hematogenous infection (type 3) of a securely fixed and
functional prosthesis. This method is more likely to be
successful if 1) less than 2 weeks since the onset of symptoms
of infection, 2) susceptible gram positive organism, 3) absence
of prolonged post-op drainage or a draining sinus tract, 4) no
prosthetic loosening or radiographic signs of infection

56. The success rate with this technique is very variable and depends
on the timing of drainage, duration of symptoms, host immune
status and the nature of the microbe
 
Maryo you are spot on regarding my shaken sense of security.
I do not want to become a chronic patient. I was miss rah-rah-i love
My knee girl and now everything is uncertain.
Now any little fever will have me at the drs office.
Thank you for sharing your friends' stories. How long ago did they happen?
Nancy thank you for finding that. I have read every study i could find.
Also worried abt my job. Have a sophomore in college and junior in high school.
Really trying not to worry.
 
One was year ago, the other was a year and a half ago. They are doing very well now.
 
Trying not to worry is the hardest...Hope this all resolves quickly for you so you can be Miss Rah-Rah for the rest of us!
 
Jan,

I understand that it has shaken your world and understandly so! Tomorrow will give you the answers and I am praying that everything turns out great!

:angel:
 
Hmmm was hoping you'd gotten your results.
 
Jan, we are on pins and needles right now waiting to hear what you found out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom