TKR Jancat's story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in HSS now. Having an i and D with spacer exchange tomorrow. Not happy about this but glad to be where i am most comfortable and close to home . Hoping that we got this early enough to avoid the frightening 2 stage revision. Anyone have success with this stopping an infection? So hoping for the great recovery like last time. Except that it lasts forever : )
Anyone go back to work with a picc line?


Jan, my sympathies to you over this complication. To respond to your questions, I am in PT, and there is someone also in PT who had an infection appearing within a couple of weeks following their TKR surgery. This person tells me their knee at the time was hugely swollen, bleeding and looked awful. Two surgeries followed diagnosis; the first was a washout and spacer replacement and the second was another washout a few days later.

Other than a larger scar the knee looks normal, no swelling, color is fine, looks like a normal knee. This person still has a PICC line but once the treatment is complete it will be removed which will be prior to returning to work.

I'll hold good thoughts for you and wish you a total complete recovery!
 
Hi Jan,

I am so sorry to hear the news. What I can tell you is I had an I and D and spacer replacement after the right knee went bad the first time. We went on heavy doses of antibiotics and everything was going very well. It bought me 10 months, but the cement broke loose on the prosthesis. The difference between you and I though, is I was in unbearable pain before they did anything. I was like that for 4 days fighting MRSA with Clindamycin orally, which I have since learned was like eating candy with a raging infection. Your counts are very high but I am extremely excited about the prospect of Irrigation, Drainage, removal of debris. and spacer replacement taking care of yours. The fact that you are not exhibiting the pain, headache, overall body aches, and feeling like you want to die is in your favor! I will be praying for you!
 
Jan, the good news is that an acute infection can be treated with the washout and spacer exchange. I had a friend who went through that, no problem. Except the spacer exchange isn't a simple matter at all.

It seems that most of us on this forum draw the unlucky card at some point, and you are in a small percentage who picked up an infection but the good news it's an acute infection and not a chronic low-grade infection which is harder to treat. I'll be following your progress . . .

I hope this doesn't turn you against Maine. Did you have Dr. Kelly or Becker at Maine Med?
 
Jan,

I hope you realize that I am saying I am very optimistIc in your case! I think the things your dr. Has planned, followed by the picc line, which by the way, you can administer yourself, and go anywhere with is a smart follow up! :friends:
 
Jan, I am glad that you are getting this taken care of. It must be very frightening/upsetting. Hang in there. I will be praying for you. (((((hugs)))))
 
Thank you all for your care and concern. Only you guyss can truly understand what i must feel like.
The whole thing is bizarre. At first in the ER the doc didnt think it was infected because i didn't have the agonizing pain people have with a tka infection. My pain was from the effusion when i walked. But as i said, i knew it was bad when i saw the fluid.
Maryo- i will always love Maine-still hope to retire there. I had dr barr at maine med ctr- he seemed fine and spoke to my doc. They didn't have s and n parts there plus he was going on vacation and i wanted my orig. os to do the work. So I guess it so far is working out as best as it can. ( can you hear the hope?) Dr barr thought it was staph epidermidis from the orig surgery! Which I dont agree with but they are culturing everything. I do believe it was the sinus and bug bite together.
So I am scheduled for 5:45pm surg today.
Just dont want to have the revision. Might spray myself with Off! Whenever i go outside from now on!
 
Good luck today! I wonder if they will ever know where this came from for sure? Amazing how something can suddenly turn like that.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jancat's story
Believing with all my heart that all will turn out well for you. You're in my thoughts and prayers. ((((((((HUGS))))))) Judy
 
Jan,
Just can't seem to wrap my head around how bizarre this is. I know I only had the 1 visit so far at HSS, but so impressed with staff and doctors. So my prayers go to those who administer their skills and helping hands to you right now, and my prayers and my thoughts to you and those who love you. I know I'm like the rest of the Bone Smarties- I keep checking back to see if we've gotten a post from you. Be Well.
Nancy
 
Slept in pacu so am wide awake now. So much easier than the tka. I am in no pain and havent needed the pca yet. We will see when the anesthesia totally wears off.
Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.
I'll keep you posted.
 
Slept in pacu so am wide awake now. So much easier than the tka. I am in no pain and havent needed the pca yet. We will see when the anesthesia totally wears off. Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.I'll keep you posted.

Wow, very cool to hear from you! And no pain is fantastic!
You are doing well, thank you for posting and letting us know! :)
 
So glad to hear this stage is over and you're comfortable. Here's to a speedy and full recovery !:cheers:
 
Glad that it went well. I am wishing you a speedy recovery without any more bumps in the road... (((((hugs)))))
 
Jan, I a glad that you are not having pain! Here's to moving forward with no more problems from that knee! :cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom