Guest viewing is limited

Jak1's recovery thread

Jamie, ah thank you , will do from now on.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jak1 hi again. Don't worry. What you're going through is normal. If anything can be at the mo ! I had mega swelling but it does go down with elevation, ice and rest. It can be very frustrating at times I know - been there but it will get better - promise. Just hang in there and go with the flow. How many weeks post op are you now? If you need anything just ask. Hugs and happy healing Carol:friends:
 
Thank you so much, I'm four weeks post op, had an awful nights sleep muscle pains everywhere! Think I've been over doing it the last two days we moved house and I just wanted to get stuff done, but I hv to accept I can't just now! Thanku again for all your help [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I need advice again! I'm four weeks post op today! I've been using one crutch this week, but bit confused, I had my left hip done so should I use the crutch in left or right hand? Sorry for asking so many questions!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Use the crutch/cane on the opposite side of thr leg. Icing and elevating helps with the swelling and some light walking. I avoided heavily salted foods and drank cranberry juice. It's hard to watch everyone doing things but these are still early days.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had surgery 2/13 @jak1 and still periodically feel some of the pains you describe. I still have quite a bit of swelling around the incision area. Especially towards the bottom just below where the incision ends. I've struggled with muscle spasms and tightness that seems to run from the gluteus muscle and down the outside of the thigh to the knee (IT Band). The best I can describe when it is really tight it almost feels like something is rolling across the prosthesis in the femur area. The Physical therapist said it is the IT band running across the greater trochanter. They used a foam roller and rolled those muscles to help them relax which has seemed to help.

You are doing great! It is amazing to think how far we have come since surgery!
 
Jak1, I am on day #9 and can't believe how tired I feel and how much I sleep. I definitely have tightness in my thigh area and some pain in my left buttock ( more tight and knotty). I am following the BoneSmart mantra and letting my body heal and tell me what it needs. We are on our way to a pain free life!
 
Well here I am asking questions again! I'm four weeks post op, still have leg stiffness, I'm limping about on one crutch, I so want to get on and do things, I can make dinner, have put washing on using gripper but it takes forever, I'm just wondering how far people at four weeks can bend or do normal things? If I do too much my legs ache and I get so tired, any advice is so welcome.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds totally normal for only 4 weeks out. Are you under any restrictions post op? Being tired is all part of this recovery. Read the article I left you earlier in this thread about energy drain.
 
Hi Jak,
One thing my surgeon emphasised was that if you start to limp at all with one crutch, revert to two again and stand tall as you walk , as you want to retrain your muscles to work properly. He was of the opinion that it is better to do it slowly over 6 wks of restrictions, than to try to rush it over 4 and possibly develop bad habits. I had posterior approach so it may be different if you had an alternative approach.
 
That's very interesting coz I feel I'm leaning over too much to the right it was my left hip, and I'm feeling the muscles in my left buttock is swollen, I had posterior too,I'm just worrying I'm going to stay limping, my mum had same op and did things too soon and three years later she's suffering a lot


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed my surgeon he said if I feel like I'm leaning and limping that I can stop using any crutch, but when I try to not use any crutch I limp and I still have some pain, sitting here very confused now!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid I don't agree with your surgeon. If you are limping at all I would continue to use at least one crutch or a cane. Once you are confident and strong on your feet you can stop using any walking aid. You need to break the habit of limping and using a walking aid will help you do this.
 
Jaycey, thank you, it's six weeks today since my op, but I still hv stiffness in my thigh, and pain in my inner thigh, groin area, so when I try to put foot fully on the floor it hurts in my groin, I just don't know if this is all normal or not!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Are you resting, icing and elevating? Every THR is different so there is really no "normal" for 6 weeks out. Keep using your crutch(es) if you need them. Are you still taking any pain meds? What is your current activity level during the day?
 
Hi, thank you. I'm resting quite a bit, but am trying to be as normal as possible, yesterday I went to the supermarket, my activities during the day are, getting up, shower, make my breakfast, watch tv for bout an hour, with my leg up on a foot stool, then I do some dusting, then I hoovered with the dyson cordless one, put some washing on, folded clean washing, quick spray of bleach and wipe the toilets and sinks, then make sandwich for lunch and put something for dinner in slow cooker. Sat down inbetween the activities, today I've taken two Tylenol but they don't make any difference. I just get worried as my mum had same op 3 years ago and is still not right and in pain with bursitis.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Actually just counted the weeks, it's actually 5 weeks today not 6.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your activity level at 5 weeks out is a bit much. Hoovering is a killer for a new hippie. Can you cut out all that cleaning and laundry and see if the thigh pain settles?
 
Ok, thank you so much that's the advice I needed, I just wasn't sure what I should and shouldn't be doing, I wanted to know how much I should be doing, so for rest of today and tomoro I'll do nothing, I'll see then if it gets better, I hv my husbands aunt and uncle coming for a holiday next week and I'm dreading it, they are very demanding, they expect me to wait on them hand and foot! Cooked breakfast take them out etc , so I guess I was just trying to get back to normal to look after them, but I guess I can't I will have to rest up. Thank you again, don't ink what I would do without this site


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
they are very demanding, they expect me to wait on them hand and foot!
Well you can't wait on them - they should be waiting on you. You have just had major surgery. Please do not try and do everything for everyone. Time to do things for yourself and that healing hip.
 
Back
Top Bottom