Jak1's recovery thread

sammylou99, thank you so much. Husband has bought tinned soups and stuff for sandwiches, I'm sure she will say something! But it's time to not care! I really felt today like I'd set myself back! So that's it a week of rest and they can fend for themselves! Thanku to everyone here, I've found this group so supportive


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
sammylou99, thank you so much Sam, I have rested my leg last night and this morning and I have to say it's slightly better, so I shall have to rest up I think!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great Jak I think it's a balance but you really do have to rest it to heal it. Good luck with the houseguests - hope you make it clear from the start that they have to sort themselves out!! It's enough just to sort myself out at the moment let alone anyone else!! Just have to remember that slowly and steadily this will all get easier. Glad you are doing better today xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well my guests are the nightmare I expected. I've had to cook for thrm and walk a lot when they want to go out, my groin pain is still there and my thigh pain, and buttock pain, can manage to walk without crutch but do limp can't walk normally, leg aches when I have to sit in restaurant hard chairs etc I'm so fed up, I'm worrying that it won't ever feel better. It's nearly 7 weeks since my op, posterior hip replacement. Anyone got any ideas?


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jak you are just doing too much!!! You shouldn't have felt you had to look after them it's not fair on you!! Although I can walk fine with no crutches around the house I take one crutch everywhere in the recommendation of my physio because as your leg tires when you are out you will limp even if you don't to start off with. It's all about building up those muscles gradually. Doing those little physio stretches regularly to build up the muscles. Limping is the worst thing you can do at this point as it will become habit and you aren't strengthening the muscles in the op leg. I also take a gel cushion with me when I go out as it's far too sore to sit on a hard chair for any length of time. It's not huge and easy to carry in a tote bag. I hope you can balance resting and getting out and about. I find if I am out in the morning I need to rest for a while before I do anything else. Have they gone yet? Do they have any idea what your op involved. I really feel for you. I am finding my recovery going so much better as I am now going slowly and surely instead of getting ahead of myself and then being in pain. I am still rotating Panadol and ibuprofen though slightly less. The morning and evening ones are vital still. Hope things get better and you can get on top of the pain. Big hugs,
Sam


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
sammylou99, thank you they finally left today after I got up and made their breakfast! Once they left I loaded dishwasher and got back into bed! Feel good bit better for resting!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jak...you poor thing. You have really done way, way more than you should have at this early stage of your recovery. Believe it or not, you ARE still early in a recovery that can take many months before you really start to feel normal again. You've earned your Gold Star. Now you must go a different route or you really risk delaying your eventual recovery and possible even risk getting chronic pain problems. Please don't allow that to happen!

Put yourself first from now on. That means for at least two weeks, no chores around the house (other than maybe preparing yourself small meals) and no running errands. No meals out or extra walking. Use your two crutches if you are at all limping. Employ lots of icing, elevating and resting mixed in with a walk around your house from room to room every hour or so. If you start feeling better, congratulate yourself for doing the right thing, but don't take that as a signal you can increase your activity until the two weeks is over. Your hip needs some serious recoup time.

You know the pain you mentioned that is bothering your mother 3 years out from her hip replacement? This is the type of thing that comes from too much activity before your hip is ready. I'm guessing your mom is a "go-getter" just like you are! Remember that all this is just temporary. The goal is to have you forgetting you ever had a hip replacement as soon as possible. But you must start thinking of your recovery in terms of months and not just weeks.
 
@jak1 - on reading through your thread, I see that you don't have a signature. Please will you tell us the date you had your THR, so that we can create a signature for you? That will show your surgery date at the bottom of every post you make. Thank you.
 
@jak1.
Please rest up now as everyone is advising correctly.
You have done far to much for so early in recovery but you appear to have gotten away with it so far.
If I was you now I'd allow my body some R and R.
Its time for you to look after you.
Be well.
Joe.......
 
Jak, can you please tell us the date of your surgery?
 
@jak1 - on reading through your thread, I see that you don't have a signature. Please will you tell us the date you had your THR, so that we can create a signature for you? That will show your surgery date at the bottom of every post you make. Thank you.

Sorry my date of op was feb 5th 2017


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jak...you poor thing. You have really done way, way more than you should have at this early stage of your recovery. Believe it or not, you ARE still early in a recovery that can take many months before you really start to feel normal again. You've earned your Gold Star. Now you must go a different route or you really risk delaying your eventual recovery and possible even risk getting chronic pain problems. Please don't allow that to happen!

Put yourself first from now on. That means for at least two weeks, no chores around the house (other than maybe preparing yourself small meals) and no running errands. No meals out or extra walking. Use your two crutches if you are at all limping. Employ lots of icing, elevating and resting mixed in with a walk around your house from room to room every hour or so. If you start feeling better, congratulate yourself for doing the right thing, but don't take that as a signal you can increase your activity until the two weeks is over. Your hip needs some serious recoup time.

You know the pain you mentioned that is bothering your mother 3 years out from her hip replacement? This is the type of thing that comes from too much activity before your hip is ready. I'm guessing your mom is a "go-getter" just like you are! Remember that all this is just temporary. The goal is to have you forgetting you ever had a hip replacement as soon as possible. But you must start thinking of your recovery in terms of months and not just weeks.

Thank you I am going to try now, there's just myself, husband and son at home now so I'll rest up!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you can rest now. My guess is if you spend the next few weeks taking it a LOT easier you will progress rapidly, the pain and limp will go. Look at it as a long term project!! I had to adjust my expectations and am now seeing the weekly progress after taking things a lot slower. Enjoy the peace!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
can manage to walk without crutch but do limp can't walk normally
Go back to using at least one crutch and keep using it until you no longer limp. You don't want to get into the habit of limping again.

Hope you can slow down and rest now.
 
Go back to using at least one crutch and keep using it until you no longer limp. You don't want to get into the habit of limping again.

Hope you can slow down and rest now.

Thanku I'm practicing walking very slowly without limping and using the crutch is I find I'm limping, I hv rested a lot today and the shooting pains are not so bad but the muscle stiffness and buttock soreness is there, I shall rest tomoro again and hope I'll be another bit better


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jak.....please remember that a few days are not going to get the job done. You need to limit all activity for weeks to get yourself back on track. If needed, employ your husband and son to help around the house. This is critical for your recovery. You can't be up preparing meals, cleaning house or running errands and expect the pain to subside.
 
Well I went for my checkup today (6weeks post op but I'm 7 weeks out) get to the hospital with my list of questions like the groin pain, the stiffness etc, only to find he doesn't work at the hospital anymore! So I'm left now no physio no pain relief nothing! Not sure what to do next!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Surely his patients were assigned to someone else....can you check?
 
@jak1.
As @Jamie states surely your assigned to another surgeon for your aftercare. The hospital still has a duty of care to you I'm sure even if its in the emirates.
The groin pain and stiffness I think is still from overdoing it at this early stage.
I feel you should arrange another appointment in the hospital yourself with someone else if its not offered.
Frustrating and annoying for sure.
Joe.......
 
Jak.....please remember that a few days are not going to get the job done. You need to limit all activity for weeks to get yourself back on track. If needed, employ your husband and son to help around the house. This is critical for your recovery. You can't be up preparing meals, cleaning house or running errands and expect the pain to subside.

Thanku Jamie, you are so right, yesterday I did nothing apart from make myself and my son a sandwich, and I prepared a cottage pie, but apart from that I had a day in front of tv, shooting pains a lot less, but you are right it's going to take more than a day or two so I shall continue with nothing today! I need to get better or the whole ordeal was pointless. I'm useless at doing nothing but I'm sure everyone on this forum feels the same frustration, everyone here has been a lifesaver to me when I've needed advice and support


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom