Jak1's recovery thread

Well you can't wait on them - they should be waiting on you. You have just had major surgery. Please do not try and do everything for everyone. Time to do things for yourself and that healing hip.

Thank you so much, it's lovely to have such support on here.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you're not planning to look after them!!! I hope they don't expect it! They should be helping you out. I think you should try and slow down a bit. My physio told me no hoovering until after 6 weeks and then carefully as there is lots of twisting involved, not good for recovering hip. Take care,
Sam x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jak1
Not That I'd want anyone to be devious.
BUT.
Why don't you !"come over"! all ill just before they arrive.
AND.
Suddenly improve just after they leave.
Joe.......:shrug:
 
Irish Joe, well funny you say that! My husband has asked will I go back to two crutches for their trip!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think I better slow up a bit, they come every year and expect to be waited on hand and foot always such hard work
 
@jak1, people can expect whatever they want, but that doesn't mean they will get it! You could contact them ahead of time and warn them that they will be waiting on you this visit, since you are recovering from major surgery. If they don't want that, then they can postpone their trip until you are fully recovered. You must think of yourself and of the healing that your body needs to do.

I'm not sure how far you are out from surgery, but at 6 weeks, I still wasn't doing anything much more than self-care and heating up some food in the microwave. I just started driving at that point, and maybe washed a few dishes. Even with that level of "in"activity, I ended up with a complication of torn gluteal muscles that necessitated another hip surgery a year and a half later. So my recommendation is to be as kind to yourself as possible, and don't jeopardize your healing. They can visit another time!
 
I am amazed at all the things you are doing. I am 6wks and have cooked some dinners but very simple ones and at that I have my husband take things out of the oven or carry anything heavy if in the crockpot. I am not vacuuming and just went to the grocery store the first time but with my husband and he got to stand in line and then put everything in the car and bring it in the house. I do laundry but that is the easy part and I do not trust him to do it. I do have him move the laundry as it is heavy at times and I just supervise the settings.

You have to give your body a chance to recover as well as the hip and go slow. Slow and steady will get us to full healing and recovery. Pushing it seems to only cause pain and possible extra issues to deal with. This is a major surgery even though we are out of the hospital so quiclky and able to move around. At times we need to remind ourselves of that as well as any visitors. The using of two crutches is a great idea and then just keep saying please can you carry this or put this as I cannot with the crutches-- I do not know many people who can refuse when you are obviously on two crutches and do not have a free hand. Best of luck with the visit.
 
@jak1. I wholeheartedly agree with Krista! Call and let them know where you are in recovery. If they do come use both crutches! I am 6 weeks post op. My daughter who is 7 months pregnant and her 16 month old flew in for a week. She and my husband were awesome. I rested, elevated and iced every chance I got. Even though I wasn't able to lift or carry my grandson, he got in my lap to play as much as possible. Even with me being very careful and my daughter being very helpful and understanding, I was exhausted when they left. I am amazed at the fatigue that hits and demands rest! The 3 days since they have been gone, I have done a few things, then rested, elevated and iced. Doing things in chunks and then resting has been my way of healing. Take good care and make that call!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you so much, you are so right, I have to stop and be careful I was so terrified at the first surgery I don't want to risk anymore


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
opie, thank you, it is 5 weeks since my op and I think I was attempting too much with cleaning and cooking and laundry I'm so dreading these visitors as they r always up at 8am waiting for breakfast! I'm only surfacing about 10 at the minute! Need so much rest


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
leejaa, thank you I will go back to two crutches and I shall cut down the jobs I'm doing I think I'm not quite ready for all I was doing. I did rest a lot yesterday and had a better nights sleep than I have had in weeks.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear you are doing less and concentrating on your primary job right now which is letting your body heal and recover which takes much rest. Keep up the good work of not overdoing and keep healing and recovering to great results.
 
leejaa, thank you, felt great yesterday but last night had to go to my sons school play, think I sat too long in one position, hv groin pain again. So took Tylenol and resting. Anyone got any better pain killer ideas?


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jak1 Do you have a family doctor. You should discuss your pain medication with your family doctor or your surgeon. There are plenty of other options but your doctor should advise you.
 
Jaycey, thank you, I didn't like to bother my surgeon even though he gave me his mobile number and email address, but I think I'll drop him a mail just to ask.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's six weeks today since my hip op, I'm getting concerned now, my leg is very stiff, inner groin pain still, so it's making me limp, I'm managing mostly with no crutches etc, I have been doing a lot getting the house ready as I hv visitors arriving tomoro, could I just hv over done it.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jak1
The short answer to your question is yes. You are overdoing it.
I think you've gotten away with it so far but doing too much can cause all sorts of muscle and tendon problems which take a long time to sort out.
Take it east. Jak1.
Joe.........
 
Irish Joe, hi thank you, I'm dreading them coming they are such hard work these ones in particular, we just moved house 3 wks into my recovery, but I think u r right I need to stop now, I hv such shooting pains down my inner thigh, it's brought me to tears and for what other people who just put my house on their holiday list. Thank you for your support and putting it in perspective


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really think you have been doing too much. I was the same, too much too early and ended up with lots of pain. I have slowed down a lot now and mix up some short walks with leg up and resting. It's boring but I have noticed a big difference in my pain levels to the point I am cutting out meds and it is much much more comfortable to walk. Take it easy Jak and don't wait on your guests. If you have to have them (can't imagine that at this point) then they have to help you out. It's a big operation. Get them to watch the surgery on you tube. That might put it in perspective. I really hope you can look out for yourself and your recovery and not worry about anyone else. Don't set yourself back.
Take care - be Strong!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom