Jak1's recovery thread

@jak1.
As @Jamie states surely your assigned to another surgeon for your aftercare. The hospital still has a duty of care to you I'm sure even if its in the emirates.
The groin pain and stiffness I think is still from overdoing it at this early stage.
I feel you should arrange another appointment in the hospital yourself with someone else if its not offered.
Frustrating and annoying for sure.
Joe.......

I have found my doc! So I'm making an appointment for this week in a different hospital, but until I see him I'm resting, have to say you are all right! With rest the groin pain is subsiding


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you can rest now. My guess is if you spend the next few weeks taking it a LOT easier you will progress rapidly, the pain and limp will go. Look at it as a long term project!! I had to adjust my expectations and am now seeing the weekly progress after taking things a lot slower. Enjoy the peace!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanku Sam, hope you are feeling well, I have been resting more and am feeling the benefits of it, so I shall continue to rest and as u say look at it as a more long term thing, it's so good having no visitors!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
On the grid picture that I keep seeing my pain is L4f/d ( groin pain) and L3b/ d , ( buttock pain) so does everyone think with rest this will ease?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The groin pain should improve with rest...lots of it! You're in awfully good company. Most of us joined the Overdid It Club (ODIC ) at some point in our recovery. Just keep fighting that guilt and thinking that you are being lazy. You're most certainly NOT!! You and your body are busy healing and preparing for the rest of your life with that new hip.

The pain in your buttocks may be

Piriformis syndrome
 
The groin pain should improve with rest...lots of it! You're in awfully good company. Most of us joined the Overdid It Club ( #ODIC ) at some point in our recovery. Just keep fighting that guilt and thinking that you are being lazy. You're most certainly NOT!! You and your body are busy healing and preparing for the rest of your life with that new hip.

The pain in your buttocks may be

Piriformis syndrome

Thank you so much, I'm sitting still today only getting up to make coffee! So hoping the rest helps, I've also taken some meds I haven't been taking any!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you!! Right now that's the best thing you can do for yourself.
 
Well I do not know how I would manage without this site! Here I am asking questions again! 9 weeks after hip replacement, think my pains in buttock and groin are from overdoing it coz if I sit still all day the next day it eases! The swelling around the incision has finally gone down but now my incision scar feels sore, I'm guessing all this is normal and maybe the nerves are healing and I'm feeling it, I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow I'll be armed with a load of questions!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
At 9 weeks out you certainly area still in healing mode. Continue to take things easy. Ice and elevate when you can. Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow.
 
At 9 weeks out you certainly area still in healing mode. Continue to take things easy. Ice and elevate when you can. Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow.

Thanku Jaycey, I think I just expected to be completely ok by now! I can stick the pain, it's moderate, I'm just more worried that I've caused damage or something has gone wrong! Coz my mum had the same op three yrs ago and has all kinds of problems! So I'm worried! I'll let you know how tomorrow goes! Thanku so much for your support.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well just wanted to let everyone know that I had my check up with doc today! 9.5 weeks post op, doc says he says it's all going ok! So why am I in pain? He says it's muscles and I need to rest up a bit more than I have been, but to live my life as normal! And take pain killers! What does anyone think are the best for muscle pain? I've got Tylenol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Jak, glad it went ok but sorry it still hurts. I found if I took Tylenol along with ibuprofen spaced out so 1000mg Tylenol then 2hrs later 400mg ibuprofen etc it worked very well. I'm sure if you rest more it's going to ease up. Whenever I overdo it my hip tells me to slow down!!
No more house guests I hope, lol!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Jak, glad it went ok but sorry it still hurts. I found if I took Tylenol along with ibuprofen spaced out so 1000mg Tylenol then 2hrs later 400mg ibuprofen etc it worked very well. I'm sure if you rest more it's going to ease up. Whenever I overdo it my hip tells me to slow down!!
No more house guests I hope, lol!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Ah thank you! I'm getting there! Glad the doc was happy that made me feel better as I was worried I'd overdone it, will take meds for a while longer! Hope you are doing well Sam? X


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah thank you! I'm getting there! Glad the doc was happy that made me feel better as I was worried I'd overdone it, will take meds for a while longer! Hope you are doing well Sam? X


Sent from my iPhone

All pretty good thanks - 8 weeks on Monday! Was cleared at 6 weeks for no restrictions which was great and building up strength slowly but surely! I'm lucky as have a great physio who doesn't push me but gives me lots of small exercises to strengthen the muscles around my hip and it's helping a lot. Still get a little stiff and sore if I overdo it - hip tells me when I've done too much - walked my dog for the first time yesterday for 40 minutes and was pretty stiff afterwards but it was lovely!! Going to start some swimming soon!! Still take the odd paracetemol when needed but not so often now.
Take care Jak and listen to your hip!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All pretty good thanks - 8 weeks on Monday! Was cleared at 6 weeks for no restrictions which was great and building up strength slowly but surely! I'm lucky as have a great physio who doesn't push me but gives me lots of small exercises to strengthen the muscles around my hip and it's helping a lot. Still get a little stiff and sore if I overdo it - hip tells me when I've done too much - walked my dog for the first time yesterday for 40 minutes and was pretty stiff afterwards but it was lovely!! Going to start some swimming soon!! Still take the odd paracetemol when needed but not so often now.
Take care Jak and listen to your hip!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone

Well done you! So glad you are doing well, walking the dog that's what I long to do! Just the normal daily stuff! I've hovered today but won't mop as it takes it out of me, but normal household chores done! Bathrooms, washing etc! So feeling almost back on track! My hip hurts when I've been sitting too long and first get up , but I'm going to listen to it as u say and Rest when needed , I'm not doing anymore today I'm going to go sit in the sunshine at the swimming pool for an hour and relax! So glad u r doing well x


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting a bit fed up, I am getting better. But leg still stiff, pain in groin still there but not as bad, sharp pain across thigh if I bend too much, still limping a bit, all better than last week and week before etc....but is there anyone else out there who has had as slow a recovery as I?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Every recovery is different even on the same person. My LTHR recovery took over one year. My RTHR was a matter of weeks. Unfortunately you can't push this recovery. Easy does it. You'll get there!
 
You are 10 days ahead of me. I know how you are feeling, however, I also know I will get there...at my own pace. I still need a cane and walk normally with it. Without the came, sometimes I can take a few steps and be normal before going to the limp. Other times, I am limping right away not using the cane. I was fortunate to not have any pain after surgery, soreness from surgery yes. However, after the first day post op, I did not need the narcotics. With that being said, aches and pains are now cropping up all over! I have muscle soreness in my rib area, my knee hurts, the heels of my feet hurt, I have some numbness in my front upper thigh. I have a bad back to begin with but now I can't sleep in bed as my back hurts too much. I have finally figured out that much (all) of this is all part of the recovery process and it just takes time. For me, probably many (most) of us, I didn't realize the magnitude of this surgery. When I was in my early 20s, I had surgery for an ovarian cyst and back to work in 6 weeks, that was when things were done and in the hospital for a week! Now, it's day surgery. At any rate, I was fine within a few weeks and I think I had that sort of thinking with this. I was also limping for years and I am surmising that is why things are a bit sore now as everything is shifting. You will get there
 
Just thought I'd write an update. Nearly 11 weeks post op and still have groin pain. Still stiff muscles still limping! So not much of a change, really fed up now, don't think I'm ever going to be pain free.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I still couldn't walk without a limp at 6 months Jak.
I'm afraid you'll improve at your body's own pace and not your minds.
Its frustrating though but your still early doors.
Joe.....
 
I still couldn't walk without a limp at 6 months Jak.
I'm afraid you'll improve at your body's own pace and not your minds.
Its frustrating though but your still early doors.
Joe.....

Ah Joe thank you, it's great to have support from others who have been there.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom