Jak1's recovery thread

You as well. Seems we are on the same timeline so ask away

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
 
I am at 4 wks and when i do more and first thing in AM a bit stiff till I start walking. Also still some swelling so some discomfort if sitting on a harder surface in the butt. Saw the PA at my OS office yesterday for regular 4wk check and she stated this is perfectly normal for now. It all takes time for everything to get back to its new normal state. Patience will be the key to this recovery - not my strong suite but practice will make perfect.
 
Those things are symptomatic of poor pain management. I think you need to read these

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
@jak1 Hi there. Yes things can be sore and stiff but your meds, rest, elevate and ice should help. As for the tiredness - it's par for the course especially in the first few weeks. It's your body saying it needs to rest or your doing too much. I still get the energy drain sometimes especially early evening after I've done more than I should!! Take care, rest as much as possible and if you feel tired - sleep anytime of day. Happy healing.
 
Hi thank you, I guess I have to be patient, I'm not good at that, it's 3 weeks today I'm going to try to use one crutch see if that makes me feel like I'm progressing, I shall just rest when I need to.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, I need to keep reading these rules coz they do help make me feel better!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am at 4 wks and when i do more and first thing in AM a bit stiff till I start walking. Also still some swelling so some discomfort if sitting on a harder surface in the butt. Saw the PA at my OS office yesterday for regular 4wk check and she stated this is perfectly normal for now. It all takes time for everything to get back to its new normal state. Patience will be the key to this recovery - not my strong suite but practice will make perfect.

Yep it's the morning is my first, I'm very stiff then, just good to know I'm not alone in this journey, good luck with your recovery too


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jak1 @leejaa Just read your posts - know what you mean. I got so impatient at not being able to do things and having to leave things like hovering, shopping and that sort of thing to my daughter. Used to get so angry and fed up but at 6 weeks I could drive my car again and use a stick to walk round ONE shop. It's amazing what a couple of weeks makes. Hang in there you're doing fine.
 
Thank you so much! The support means so much, makes me feel I'm not on my own with this!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are never alone since you are part of the bonesmart family. :flwrysmile:
 
Cas, thank you, yep think I was trying to be too 'back to normal'


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, @jak1 , I am right there with you . Same stiffness, occasional low grade fever, lethargy sometimes. For myself , I chalk it up to never having experienced any surgery before the actual replacement. You can be told what to expect, but until you live through it - it doesn't seem to "sink in". Anyway, I honestly think we are all just getting through finding a way for ourselves to manage our recoveries the best we can. It's normal to feel nervous, I think, but I have experienced what you describe and I am just trying to read all I can on BoneSmart and listen to the wise counsel of @Josephine and others and not get too anxious, too quickly- simply because I didn't know physically what this would FEEL like.
Keep posting so we can match experiences. It looks like I was just after you in terms of when I went through THR. I do think I am about equal in terms of concern ; but I think we are both doing well considering! Best of luck! Kathy


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Muscles feeling a lot better, stiffness still there, but it feels like I'm sitting on a golf ball! Quite uncomfortable! Anyone else having this feeling? Also I'm still on two crutches going to try with one tomoro feel very apprehensive about putting weight on my operated leg.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kathy0427, it's all new to me too I didn't know what to expect, so guess we can just take each day as it arrives, some days I think it's all great then some days I feel really down with it all! But just have to keep going! Good luck Kathy we will get there


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jak1 .... you'll notice that I've merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. Please post any updates or questions you have about your own recovery here in your thread. That way we have all your information in one place when we need to look back before giving advice.
 
but it feels like I'm sitting on a golf ball!
Would I be correct in thinking you had a posterior approach? If so, this is the internal surgical wound you can feel. It does go right though the 'sit-upon' bit of the anatomy and does feel remarkably like a golf ball - or some refer to it as feeling like a brick!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's all new to me too I didn't know what to expect, so guess we can just take each day as it arrives, some days I think it's all great then some days I feel really down with it all! But just have to keep going! Good luck Kathy we will get there


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jak1 Hi again you're doing fine! I was on two sticks for a while and wondered if I could manage with one but others on here gave me some advice so instead of "trying to give one up" I just kept going on two till suddenly "I forgot one" - it does happen. Then I forgot to get two!!! I then couldn't remember where I'd left them LOL. A case of hunt the stick. I still do have a fold up stick in the car or in a bag in case I need it when out and about. By all means try with one but don't feel disappointed if you have to go back to two your body will tell you what it needs so listen to it. If in doubt about anything come on here we all have your back. Have a great day or night. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Cas thank you for your encouragement, we moved house yesterday and I'm feeling down coz i can't do anything! Spent this morning just in and out the car with my husband doing silly jobs like getting electric sorted etc now I'm back in bed, foot swollen leg stiff! Feeling sorry for myself! I'll just get up again tomoro and try again!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom