THR jackie222 RTHR - recovery

Wow!!!! Congratulations to your son!!!! How thrilling!!! I'm so fascinated by the Royals....most of us Canadians are though being part of the Commonwealth, additionally my paternal grandparents are from England. I know nothing beyond that, however. Anyhow...have fun'!!!'

Congrats on son’s award. Almost as impressive as your hip progress :SUNsmile:

That it's am amazing award and he should be very proud of himself.
That is quite list of accomplishments:yes!:

3F67218A-9201-4280-AA92-B161012A1831.jpeg
D1444BE6-2525-4FCF-9D11-7FB16B8351AE.jpeg
On the train home now. The presentation was lovely. Walked 3.5 miles yesterday and 4.5 today. My new hip has held up brilliantly. My other hip, knees, back and left foot not so much :loll:Number 1 son will keep thinking I can walk as fast as him!! But it been a fab mother and son couple of days.

Your not allowed to take photos inside St James Palace. The police will arrest you! Have posted a coupleof him outside Buckingham Palace.

And doesn't he look smart in his suit! I'm glad you had a great time and that your new hip had such an exciting debut. I also have a long legged son who I have to run to keep up with.

Aww Jackie....look at the handsome guy. You must be so proud.
It's wonderful to hear how you've held up with all the walking over the past couple of days.
Happy that you had bonding time to create new memories with your son.
Wishing you a safe journey home!
@Jackie222

Oh Jackie. How handsome he is.
Those are the best pictures...
I was one week out of surgery, and my son was getting his associate degree graduation. I was so sad I couldn't make it.
When he graduates with bachelor's in 2 years, I will definitely be able to walk as fast as his long-legged self!
My BIL who is 6 ft 4 inches already begs me to slow down. At 5 feet 3 inches, these new hips leave him in the dust!:dancy:

Last edited:
Lovely photos, must have been a great day for both of you. Hope you are having a bit of a rest today!

I returned to farm work today. Hip as good as gold. Will be icing and elevating all evening though just incase. I couldn’t believe how much upper body strength I’ve lost in such a short period. Before I could carry 2 buckets of meal for the calves without thinking about it. Today one was more than enough.
It was wonderful to be back working outside again, I feel so much happier in myself :happydance::spin:

Last edited:
Great to hear! Getting back to life can be so exhilarating (and exhausting). Just take enough time to listen to your body. In some ways, you'll be like someone starting a job like this for the first time, so don't be surprised if you're more tired than usual at first. I even dealt with that at an office job!

Good deal @Jackie222. The lighter weight for a bit might be a good idea for your hip. Carry heavy things definitely bothered mine. Whether you are carrying full weight or not, work will feel good.

How awesome, Jackie!
I think the icing and elevating is a wise preventative measure.
I'd watch carrying the heavy stuff. My dad told me he partially
attributes carrying extreme weight for years, to the deterioration of his hips. He's had both replaced.
I'm sure your energy is not at it's pre-surgery level making if feel more difficult to carry what you once could....
A great rest of the week to you!

Last edited:
Jackie, one thing you might consider on the buckets is carrying half as much in 2 buckets - it would prevent you from leaning and help distribute the weight better and would also allow you to gradually increase the total weight more easily as you work back up to where you were before.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. Great idea @SaraK I’ll do that Thursday. Rest day today

Good morning @Jackie222. I read in another post how your husband passed. While you mentioned the Alzheimer’s earlier in your post I didn’t realize how young he was and how quickly he went. I admire your strength through that. It is sad seeing a loved one lose touch that way. My husband was almost completely out of his head the last ten days of his life. He was violent and aggressive at times and said very hateful things, especially to our youngest son when he was helping nurse restrain him. That wasn’t the man who loved his children totally.

How proud your husband would be of how well your boys are turning out and how you are doing an amazing job with your hip recovery.

Oh @MammaT thats so lovely of you to say.

It sounds like you and your family went through the same struggles as we did. It was heart breaking and I carry the guilt that I kept John at home for too long. It did quite a lot of emotional damage to our oldest. He adored his dad and was unbelievably caring towards him. But even before the violence he could do no right whereas as the younger one could do no wrong. Because of this I took the heartbreaking decision to sell up and move back near my family a year after John was settled to give him a fresh start. It took a few years but eventually the sad eyes were replaced by happy ones. Looking at photos of him from those times, and seeing those eyes, still makes me cry.

Yes John would have been so very proud of them, as am I.

I too was surprised to hear about your husband passing so young and under such horrid circumstances. Your sons' accomplishments are certainly feathers in YOUR cap. I raised my two children alone due to their father's circumstances and he died at age 58.
We do what we must, especially for our children.
Mommys rock!

Last edited:
Dear Jackie,
Just read elsewhere about the loss of your first husband at such a very young age. While you've shared before that you lost him, I somehow missed how young your boys were at his passing. While it's sad to lose a loved one no matter what the circumstances, I can't imagine watching the man you love and planned a future with, slip away from such an insidious disease. As the mother of two children who were so very young it had to be extremely painful to watch your dreams as a couple slowly fade as his illness progressed. The fact that he was so overjoyed at the notion of parenthood and was unable to engage in their lives from so early on in is simply heartbreaking. As is the thought of you so lovingly playing recorded messages from your boys to their daddy as he took in his last breath's.

You kindly shared the story and photos of one of your son's receiving the Duke of Edinburgh Award. What an honor and testament to the fine job you did in raising him. His daddy would be proud! I'll bet you see a reflection of their daddy in your boys. It must be bittersweet. You seem to be thriving, Jackie and have been a gentle comforter here. I know I speak for many in saying....We love you!

Sending a warm hug and wishing you all peace, abundant love and unending blessings!
@Jackie222

I think as mums we have no choice @Mojo333 but pick ourselves up, give ourselves a good shake and carry on no matter how difficult it is.

Thank you @Layla it gave me a lot of comfort knowing that John passed hearing how loved he was. Both boys look very much like him, they also get their maths ability from him. Not sure what they get from me, unless it’s the ability to cope with an embarrassing mother :loll:I was more than capable of joining them on the floor if they threw a paddy when they were young - it soon put a stop to theirs!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back