THR jackie222 RTHR - recovery

Hi @Jackie222
I'ts been a pleasure getting to know you a bit through your posts.
Hoping your recovery continues on an even keel and that 2018 brings you abundant comfort and joy! :loveshwr:
Wishing you a happy New Years Eve, many hours left until the ball drops here :martini:
 
Thank you @Layla. Words have just been had with the 17 year old as he refused to drive us to the restaurant and said he wants to walk!! (It’s a 2 mile round trip) Bearing in mind we're paying for his meal then he’d have to walk back home anyway to get all his “stuff” before heading off to his party :hissy:
Pointed out that as we paid for everything we could easily take the car back, cancel the insurance etc. He soon offered to drive. :yahoo:
We could have made to 20 year old but he’s walking straight to his mates after the meal and that would mean my car left in the car park (he’s only insured for that one as he doesn’t need a car at uni)
 
@Jackie222 - It's so refreshing to know that kids and parents are the same everywhere! I haven't said much on your thread but I'm so happy to see your recovery going so well. Have a wonderful 2018!
 
KIDS! Gotta love em!
They bring you the greatest love you've ever known BUT can drive you flippin' nuts at times!
Hope you have an enjoyable dinner and great evening, Jackie :flwrysmile:
Cheers to 2018 :martini:
@Jackie222
 
Happy New Year to you @Jackie222 :martini:

I just read through your thread - you are doing amazing! I had surgery a month before you and I still need the railing to help me go up stairs.

Enjoy your New Year’s cosmopolitan- I’m a margarita girl myself :cheers:
 
Hope you had a nice dinner last night, Jackie.
Warm wishes for a happy healthy 2018 full of comfort and joy!
@Jackie222
 
Well I’ve made it to 6 week out and can now drive :yes!: and (officially) bend more than 90 degrees. I’m really pleased with my progress

Thought it would be a good idea to document where I am with my recovery.
Walking normally with no aids and NO limp. Able to walk 2 miles easily.
Using the exercise bike daily.
No pain in the new hip. Just on amitriptyline for pain in the other joints.
Doing all normal household chores :gaah:
Flexibility slowly returning
Sleep has returned to normal and I can now sleep on my operated side
Can walk up and downstairs normally
Scar is improving daily. All lumps and bumps nearly gone. Very little tightness although I still know it’s there
Not as tired as I was - staying up later !!
Can just about get my socks on. Can’t do my laces up yet
Still scared of tripping and falling
Still elevating and icing regularly
Groin pain (caused by straight leg lefts :hissy:) has eased. Only feel it when I forget and lift my leg to elevate without helping it
Going to try a gentle yoga class over the next week to see if a return is feasible yet.
Hoping to go swimming over the next week
Hoping to return to the farm and do the lighter jobs soon, will see how feasible this is on Saturday. As hubby and I are keeping an eye on the cows/calves for the day whilst my brother, his family and our boys have a day trip to Dublin (1st flight my brother has ever done)

I how have to address the 21lb I gained over 2017 :flabber: The diet started today also doing dry January which should help.
 
Last edited:
Wonderful progress @Jackie222. Ease into the other activities, they will all come back. Be careful with farm chores not to do any heavy lifting yet.

I’m back to managing my food better today. Want to drop a few this month before surgery. Have a good day!
 
Hi @MammaT, definitely no heavy lifting. Thinking I should be able to powerwash the milking parlour (not much movement required). And maybe feed and water the calves. But we’ll see if it doesn’t feel right I’ll stop.
 
Off to a super star New Year. Your recovery has been inspiring to many...
Being able to finally be of some use when I was leaning on others early on, really did my spirit good.
No falling down and going boom!
Beware wet barn floor!
 
hi @Jackie222 great to read you are progressing so well, really miss being able to walk (ok I can stagger around) now. Your post and others like yours give me much needed encouragement and hope that things can get better.
Keep up the good work
 
Wonderful news, @Jackie222
Your recovery is really progressing well.
I'm afraid of tripping and falling also. Wondering if that feeling ever leaves you after replacement?
Good luck with the diet and the dry January :heehee:
Hope you have a great week!
 
Boy, I sure hope that day comes.
Living in the Upper Mid-west with the frigid temps
and the roads and walkways often feeling like a skating rink.....It can be scary :yikes:

Lucky you, buzzing around is sunny Cali probably wearing flip-flops, I'm jelly :friends:
@Bumblebee
 
Will using a cane not alleviate your fear of tripping, Layla?


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
It’s been a good week. Looked after the farm on Saturday. Did a few light jobs and climbed a couple of gates without any problem. That is if you don’t considering clinging on for dear life a problem :heehee:

NB: I should probably add that I didn’t climb the gate to prove anything but to get to a poorly calf. I wasn’t able to get it open. I was surprised and relieved that I was able to do so

Tonight I went to a yoga class for the first time in over two years. I stopped attending classes as I got so demoralised. I’d gone from being able to do the splits to having practically no movement in my hips in what felt like overnight.

Tonight’s class was a relax and restore one. So all lying down, eyes closed, breathing and gentle movements. But I did it and I’m proud of me. :spin:

I now have my leg elevated and ice packs left, right and centre. :ice:
 
Last edited:
@Jackie222 I've been thinking about trying yoga as I'm pretty sure my OS will advise me not to go back to some of my previous activities of running and playing soccer. I'm fine with taking up fitness walking in place of running, but have been thinking about trying yoga as a replacement for soccer (mostly because I miss the social aspects of being with a group of people and I could use some help with overall flexibility). Any advice for a novice on getting started? There are lots of options where I live - many regular gyms that offer yoga, dedicated yoga studios, individual instructors, etc. so that's not a problem.
 
Hi @jaydub63, I would recommend find a studio that does a gentle yoga class or one specifically for rehabilitation. But before you go ring up and speak to the teacher, explain your history and ask if she/he has any experience with hip replacements and is able to make adjustments for the type of surgery you’ve had. Certain poses are not recommended dependant on which approach you’ve had. When you do go remind the teacher who you are. Even then listen to your body if anything feels uncomfortable stop don’t push your body. Don’t hold any poses longer than is confortable. A good teacher will be able to suggest alternatives or adjustments. More importantly any teacher will tell you yoga isn’t competitive go at your own pace. I love yoga and carried on at home for along as I could. It’s not just about the poses the breathing exercises and the meditation are very calming.
Tonight’s class has left me with a smile on my face and a feeling of contentment.
Good luck in finding a class that suits you.
 
Great update! @Jackie222
Climbing gates seems rather ambitious making it sound like you're doing really well!
Wonderful you're back at Yoga and enjoying it. All baby steps on the way back to living life
without the pain and limitations that sadly became our "normal."
Hope your week is great!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom