Guest viewing is limited

THR jackie222 RTHR - recovery

Hi @Layla, couldn’t get the gate undone and had to get in to check on a new born calf that was poorly and needed bottle feeding so it had to be done. I took it very slowly and carefully I promise and clung on for all I was worth as I was terrified of slipping. :scare:
 
@Jackie222 thanks for your thoughts on yoga. I'm not quite 5 weeks post-op, so I'm not ready to jump into it quite yet, but can start doing some research and talking to instructors. Will also talk to my OS about it at the end of the month during my next check up.
 
Gate climbing!?!?!? :flabber: geewhiz...ambitious woman!!!! Way to go!! That sounds crazy to me seeing as I can barely lift my op leg into the car! No joke! I had to actually pause and concentrate getting my op leg into the SUV just today because first attempt, my brain just didn't connect with what I was telling my log leg to do! I do enjoy however, reading these types of superwoman advanced activities from peeps like yourself as it gives me hope I'll be a dancing/swimming/snowshovelling/garagetidying/gateclimbing/superyogi before I know it! :yes!::heehee:
 
Not so much superwoman @danabanana it had to be done. I needed to get to the calf, I would have done whatever I needed to to do that. We had it instilled in us from birth that the animals come first. Illness was not an excuse, they had to be fed and watered and the cows milked twice a day.
On the way to the farm now with son number 1. He’s working, I’m resting, having my hair done (mobile hairdresser) and talking. But I’ll get a photo of the baby for you
I still lift my leg into the car, puts too much pressure on my groin otherwise. I’m sure you’ll soon be doing it without thought x
 
[Bonesmart.org] jackie222 RTHR - recovery
Baby doing so much better. No longer curled up in the corner. Getting up wanting fuss and feeding
 
Necessity is the mother of invention...I felt I had Must Do responsibilities...just have to be super careful.
But- I disagree, Jackie.
Super women we are!
Up, up and away!
Just make sure we don't fall down and go boom.
 
@Jackie222 What a gorgeous calf! I grew up in a farm and we were very careful with all the animals. I have memories of getting up before sunup and taking care of the animals. It is a different lifestyle. I have lived all my adult life in suburbia and still miss the farm. Good job with the gate, especially in winter weather.
 
Well @Jackie222 Just a week ahead of me post op and putting me to shame. What a fine recovery you are making. I'm very impressed. Especially you're going back to yoga classes. :flwrysmile:

I was a gym freak before my right hip started going south. I too suffered with going pain as the deterioration progressed.Strength training went first. Then my aerobics classes. I still had yoga but even those were reduced to the restorative classes. Finally I dropped into the Silver Sneaker classes just to keep moving. When I couldn't even do those I agreed with my OS that it was time. I was 80 then as he told me I would not outlive a replacement. Of course, he was wrong and the rest is history, as they say. :eeeuw:

So you inspire me that perhaps a gentle yoga class is in my future. I have started going back to the gym now to use the treadmill to walk my 20 minutes since there is still snow and ice on the ground here. And I've been fooling around with the exercise bikes a bit, 10 minutes at a time. I do a few light exercises a day which don't bother me.

My trouble at the moment is my left knee which is bone on bone. It acts up from time to time and now is the time apparently. :sigh: Ironically, I take the pain pills twice a day for it and ice and elevate in between sessions with the brace.
It does not stop me from taking a walk around the house unaided. . .finally :happydance:. . .carefully trying to heel and toe my steps to perfect the gait. I don't limp with is progress but no way could I walk as you do.

Keep up your good work. I remain impressed and will keep up with your thread. Sorry I checked in on you later than I would have liked. The climbing over gates is scary though. And for goodness sake, no falling! Ever!:scare::sos:
 
Hi @Dive17 I think growing up as we did gave my brother and I a great work ethic. We were expected to work before and after school and all the holidays. But I loved it and wouldn’t change it for anything

Hi @zinnia, you are totally amazing! Such determination and drive. :yahoo::wow::upright:The yoga class was very gentle, lying down with eyes closed the entire class. I hope eventually get back to the classes I used to do but baby steps, there’s no rush. Climbing was the last resort, I did briefly consider getting the angle grinder :loll:but decided that was a very bad idea :heehee: and climbing the gate a much safer option. I hung on very tightly. But I admit I was pleased and relieved that I was able to do it. Made me feel like I could soon be back helping my brother again. Especially as C goes back to uni at the weekend and F went back to 6th form today
 
Last edited:
So glad you are doing well and spreading some good advice around too!
Recovery has its hiccups, but hip replacement has certainly given me my life back.
Good to see you doing well also!
 
Hi @Mojo333 thank you for your comments. There will be a real test of my hip today and tomorrow. I’m heading down to London on the train shortly for son number 1’s gold Duke of Edinburgh award at the palace tomorrow morning. Not a huge amount of time to rest and elevate and no icing. Plus quite a bit of walking around.
 
@Jackie222 How exciting!
Need to google the award but please do tell what it is and why he is receiving it...
I know you must be beaming with pride!
How dressed up must you be...my first formal function post THR with heels was very tiring for me but didn't know what else to wear...didn't do alot of standing around on them!
 
@Mojo333 I’m too fat at the moment to be overly dressed up! Couldn’t bring myself to buy anything I hope will soon to be big :loll:

To save you googling. To achieve gold you have to have also done Bronze and Silver

The Duke of Edinburgh's Award programmes take between one and four years to complete, and they must be completed by the participant's twenty-fifth birthday. There are around 300,000 participants annually. The programmes are at three progressive levels which, if successfully completed, lead to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.

With assistance from adult Leaders, participants select and set objectives in each of the following areas:

  • Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community.
  • Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
  • Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
  • Expedition: planning, training for, and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad.
  • At Gold level, participants must do an additional fifth Residential section, which involves staying and working away from home for five days, doing a shared activity.
To achieve an award, the participant must work on each section for a minimum period of time, and must be monitored and assessed by someone with knowledge of the chosen activities. Each progressive level demands more time and commitment from participants: Bronze 3–6 months; Silver: 6–9 months; Gold: 12–18 months. Participants are required to show regular activity and commitment to the award for the duration of their DofE programme, which is usually at least one hour per week.[9]
 
Last edited:
Big congrats to your son, you must be so proud. I'm with you on not buying new clothes yet - I'm back on sensible eating now that I'm back at the gym. Need to get rid of Christmas for starters.....and the rest.
 
How exciting! @Jackie222
What a proud momma you must be. What an achievement for your son.
Heading to the palace. Is that Buckingham Palace? Don't know about the rest of us state side
but it sounds very exciting. I've never been to London but it's on my bucket list.
The whole notion of royalty still catches my eye just like a little girl.
I'm one of "those" who turns the television on at 4:00 am to catch a royal wedding in real time. So romantic!!
Hope today is wonderful!
 
@Jackie222, congratulations to your son. I hope you both enjoy your trip to the Palace. I have been to an event in the gardens there and loved going through the entrance. I can boast that I had a picnic on her lawn!
 
Thank you all. He’s worked really hard to achieve the award and we’re very proud of him. Sadly his younger brother gave up after passing silver.

Although I wasn’t so proud of him when we were on the way to the station and I realised he’d left his suit in the house!!! Luckily I’m used to him and had allowed extra time. Made it with 8 minutes to spare.

It’s in St James Palace which is just round the corner from Buckingham Palace. The award is being presented by Prince Edward as the Duke has now retired. What a cheek at the tender age of 96 :loll:
 
Last edited:
Hi Jackie I'm just now getting around to reading through your whole thread.
I want to thank you for posting that detailed progress report at the beginning of the year.
So very inspirational for those of us who have yet to have our surgeries.
Take is easy curtsying around the palace. Cool accomplishment for your son.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom